Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spoofulated or Artisanal?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Dr Magnan's Lab
jonathan_carfax

I read an interesting article today by one particular maverick winemaker, Clark Smith, who makes no apology for high use of technology in wine making, provided you are honest about it.

I find the controversy in the wine industry around his views interesting because I can see the same debates arising now global absinthe production has reached a critical mass.

To quote one key part of his article:

Put yourself in the winemaker’s shoes. Winemakers are under tremendous pressure to perform unrealistic feats, and they want a complete set of tools to please consumers every time. Aren’t you just supposed to make delicious, wholesome, interesting wine?

Apparently not. Very vocal elements of the gatekeeper community also want to control the means we use to achieve these goals. Not what’s in the bottle, but whether it got there by methods which a wine critic or retailer can comprehend and approve.

Actually, that sounds pretty reasonable. More than ever, wine consumers need professional guidance through the dizzying maze of offerings available in today’s market. These pros study their butts off to develop palate training for the baffling array of wine genres against which all wine is judged. But when winemaking practices change, there can be trouble, because hidebound traditionalism is useful to critics in sorting the good Now a cycle of distrust has driven innovative winemakers further underground as critics’ complaints become more shrill. from the great, and it’s hard to keep score when the rules keep changing. Oh please, Lord, not a new playbook!

Is this sounding familar?

Discuss.
absinthist
"I am dreamin' of a white absinthe
That would not be like ouzo at all
Where wormwood's fragrance
anise/fennel's brillance
And hyssop take their toll

I am dreamin' of a verte absinthe
That will go feuille morte
Made by the experts not cocktailshakers
A one so traditional to the core

I am dreamin' of any absinthe
TTB, Eurocrats won't restrict
Neither FDA will have their say
Nor any other noromic™ ignorant prick"

There is no critical mass. One of my friends says: "There is only good absinthe and bad absinthe".
Helfrich
Nice goat song, bogged satyr.
absinthist
Thanks, amigo. Just in time for Xmas tongue.gif
Absomphe
Butt can ewe sing it like Bing?
absinthist
Do not ask for it, buddy, please. I am sure someone who is a singer will do it perfectly. Wonderin' if singers drink absinthe at all?
hartsmar
QUOTE(jonathan_carfax @ Dec 3 2007, 04:36 PM) *

But when winemaking practices change, there can be trouble, because hidebound traditionalism is useful to critics in sorting the good Now a cycle of distrust has driven innovative winemakers further underground as critics’ complaints become more shrill. from the great, and it’s hard to keep score when the rules keep changing. Oh please, Lord, not a new playbook![/i]

True, but...
a) I doubt they cut corners by making their wine from wine-kits bought at Wal-Mart.
b) You can't make "authentic" wine by Filteration™, just as you can't make "authentic" absinthe that way. (I had to get that in here)

"Cutting corners" to manufacture products cheaper and trying to keep "quality" at a decent level isn't new. The question is - is it relevant to change the way you judge a product just because someone finds a "new technique". Not necessarily... There's still good and bad products regardless of method of manufacture and the best products of a certain type - be it wine, absinthe or beer - are still the best and thus more or less the benchmark products.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.