Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NY Times Dec 5th
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
Oxygenee
Things are getting interesting…

A Liquor of Legend Makes a Comeback - NY Times, Dec 5th

I've opened a seperate thread about the St George Absinthe Verte, because this is a significant development.
traineraz
. . . and an excellent article to go along with it.

Donnie Darko
A welcome contrast to that trashy Time magazine article.

speedle
Yes, this guy actually took the time and effort to…wait for it…actually drink the product! abs-cheers.gif
Head_prosthesis
Kallisti sends this article:
Alameda distiller helps make absinthe legitimate again

Steve
I didn't notice the additional features on absinthe on the SF Chronicle website till just now:

Answering questions about absinthe.

AP Graphic: Demystifying absinthe.
(features audio by Ted Breaux, which I can't listen to at work because I don't have speakers)
Hemingway's Hangover
I've seen that interactive AP graphic around before, I think, but I can't quite remember where. It's quite nicely done.

All in all, these well considered articles helped me wash the sour taste of Time from my mouth. My first glass of Belle Amie should help as well.

Patlow

(features audio by Ted Breaux, which I can't listen to at work because I don't have speakers)
[/quote]

Headphones! abs-cheers.gif
Steve
Yeah I know but I'm supposed to be working!
The Standard Deviant
I was just imagining the annoyance a blind geneticist could cause at work by using screen-reader software with the speakers on:

"TCCTCTTGTA AATATAGTTT AACCAAAACA TCAGATTGTG AATCTGACAA ATGGCCCAAA AGGAGAACAT TTATATCAAA"
speedle
That audio sounds like they called him on a cheap cellphone when he was in France during a windstorm in a cave.

Informative it is, though.

Steve
QUOTE(The Standard Deviant @ Dec 6 2007, 10:41 AM) *
TCCTCTTGTA AATATAGTTT AACCAAAACA TCAGATTGTG AATCTGACAA ATGGCCCAAA AGGAGAACAT TTATATCAAA

I find it interesting that you chose to post human mitochondrial sequence rather than just make something up. (I just blasted it to see what it was.)
Steve
Actually only the first 50 bases match human mitochondrial DNA, then you put in some mouse nuclear receptor or something.
The Standard Deviant
Probably of little interest to people wanting to talk about Ted's voice, or the New York Times:

I was going to make some up, but couldn't remember how many bases were grouped together, so typed some rubbish into a search engine and that was part of one of the results returned.

Looking back at the source (paste the sequence into Google), it says it is human mitochondrial DNA, but I have managed to copy some of the sequence in one form, and the rest as the corresponding bases that they would be bonded to (sorry, I don't know the terminology).

CODE
2130      12140      12150      12160      12170      12180
TACCGGGTTT TCCTCTTGTA AATATAGTTT AACCAAAACA TCAGATTGTG AATCTGACAA
ATGGCCCAAA AGGAGAACAT TTATATCAAA TTGGTTTTGT AGTCTAACAC TTAGACTGTT
It seems I copied the part of the middle row and part of the bottom, as that was what was returned in the search results.

That'll teach me to try to save time by not making things up!
Steve
The bottom strand is the reverse complement of the top strand, so when you write it left-to-right the sequence is backwards (at least to biologists; chemists are a different story). Blastn won't find a match to a backwards sequence.

I was looking for hidden meaning but I guess there wasn't any. I didn't want to miss some clever joke on your part!
Lord Stanley
I also stumbled upon the link for another NY Times article about absinthe from 2000. It's at the bottom of the page for the Dec 5th article.

I liked this quote the best…The flavor of Hill's is the most austere, resembling vodka, with a milder licorice flavor. Salvatore Calabrese, the bar manager at the Library Bar, has tasted an old bottle of the original, and he said Hill's is the closest in flavor.

speedle
Good god! blink.gif
Absomphe
He must've done a side-by-side tasting with one of thgose copper sulfate, and antimony chloride originals…

Oh, wait, one of those would have louched, wouldn't it?

Nevermind.
traineraz
QUOTE(Spoon @ Dec 6 2007, 11:23 AM) *

Actually only the first 50 bases match human mitochondrial DNA, then you put in some mouse nuclear reactor or something.

Even mice are ahead of Iran now? blink.gif
speedle
Is that a problem for you?
C.F.Blok-Andersen
QUOTE(Spoon @ Dec 5 2007, 03:42 PM) *

I didn't notice the additional features on absinthe on the SF Chronicle website till just now:

Answering questions about absinthe.

AP Graphic: Demystifying absinthe.

Thanks Spoon!

absinthist
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Dec 6 2007, 05:52 PM) *

Oh, wait, one of those would have louched, wouldn't it?

With aniline as well, It would louche tremendously.
Donnie Darko
Yikes, the graphics for that audio portion are horrid. Skull & Bones? Witch beverage? All the sensational quotes from alcoholic poets? And meanwhile the accompanying link with Ted's audio (poor quality phone recording) is miniscule in comparison.

Typical journalistic attempt to sensationalize.
Neptunati
We made champagne and absinthe cocktails, which rapidly degenerated into just sipping absinthe out of the bottle with crazy straws," said Lance Winters, a 42-year-old master distiller at the seven-employee company.

That shit is hardcore!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.