Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Absinthe was legalized in the US
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
Pages: 1, 2
Donnie Darko
http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe-america/legalization

I thought this was an informative interview about the whole process which opened the door. I was previously under the impression that Absinthe being allowed in the US again was all due to efforts by Viridian, but it appears that it was Kubler that took the initiative and got the ball rolling, and did the majority of the legwork to get the regulations reinterpreted, while Viridian independently pursued the same goals a couple of years later, helping to pressure the TTB to change their previous stance towards Absinthe.

Now we just have to wait and see just how popular Absinthe actually will be in the US.
Marc
And if I remember correctly, absinthe being allowed again in Switzerland is again due to Kubler.
Donnie Darko
Those Kubler boys got some good lawyers.
Patlow
Indeed. Thanks for this.
Jaded Prole
To Kubler goes the credit then. abs-cheers.gif

(Pulls down the Ted statue . . .)
traineraz
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 13 2007, 06:15 AM) *

Wish they had some better absinthe.
absinthist
You can't have both. It is like with omelette.
Tibro
Why would anyone want an omelet with absinthe or attorneys, let alone both.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(traineraz @ Dec 13 2007, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 13 2007, 06:15 AM) *

Wish they had some better absinthe.

Agreed. Plenty of Arak I've had is fuller and more complex with better aroma, which is ironic because Arak has one ingredient.
Absomphe
They tend to have nice grape bases, though.
Kirk
It's not all that bad, I had a glass the other day, of the absinthes I can buy off the shelf here, I probably like it the best.
Jaded Prole
It isn't on the shelf here yet but we do have a nice Turkish Yeni Raki.
traineraz
QUOTE(Kirk @ Dec 13 2007, 09:20 AM) *

It's not all that bad, I had a glass the other day, of the absinthes I can buy off the shelf here, I probably like it the best.

No, it's definitely not bad. Just very simple, if memory serves.

When it's $20 a bottle at the local liquor store, I will probably buy it.
Deluge
Last week I decided to buy a bottle of the new American Kubler even though I still have a nearly full litter of the European version. I have never been a big fan of Kubler but I tend to keep it on hand in the chance a guest might want to try a Suissesse.

Anyway, I had a chance to try them side by side last night and found them to be a bit different than one another. The American version seems very clean and the flavor is much more crisp than the European version. The flavor is more minty and seems to contain a bit more anise. I can't detect as much wormwood in the American bottleing though. Anyone else notice that at all?

Jaded Prole
Could just be the difference in batches or the mellowing of one bottle from age.
speedle
I'd agree with that, because the glass I had in Las Vegas the other night had a fairly good, albeit simple, balance of the two. I still didn't like it though.
Selmac
I plan on doing the same comparison this weekend. Deluge, where did you pick up the bottle?
subrosa
Cheers to Kubler. I will have to go down to BevMo and pick up a bottle. My real hope is that these changes will open the door to further Absinthe legalization. Hope maybe one day I can walk into BevMo and pick up Jade Absinthe.
peridot
QUOTE(Deluge @ Dec 13 2007, 01:32 PM) *

I can't detect as much wormwood in the American bottleing though. Anyone else notice that at all?

I noticed that at first, but as my bottle has sat on the shelf for a couple months the wormwood has become significantly more noticeable.
Selmac
I agree. My US Kubler tastes much better than it did when I opened it. It's still anise-heavy though.
Steyr850
QUOTE(Deluge @ Dec 13 2007, 02:32 PM) *

I can't detect as much wormwood in the American bottleing though.
That's disheartening, but not surprising. I would have figured that aside from label hurdles, the Euro version could have met US regs regarding Prok™.
peridot
It's definitely an anise bomb, not a wormwood bomb, but after letting it breathe for a while I can't complain about how much wormwood flavour there is; I've had many other commercial absinthes with less. The only pain is that it's not that good when you first get it and pull the cork, or even a week later.
Jaded Prole
One day we will be able to purchase properly aged absinthe.
Absomphe
I applaud your optimism, Prol.

I, too, look forward to the day when absinthe takes a few steps backward, and is long-aged in oak casks the way Pernod Fils used to age it.

If ales can experience such a Renaissance, then there's hope that, one day, absinthe may do the same.
Lord Stanley
QUOTE(Tibro @ Dec 13 2007, 12:05 PM) *

Why would anyone want an omelet with absinthe…

QUOTE(Deluge @ Dec 13 2007, 02:32 PM) *

I have never been a big fan of Kubler but I tend to keep it on hand in the chance a guest might want to try a Suissesse.

Fry your Suissesse in a pan and there's your omelet. no.gif

I might buy a bottle of Kubler just to thank them for their efforts.

Donnie Darko
Not for nothing, but I never tasted much wormwood in Kubler from the very first bottling back in 2003. There's way more Pontica presence than wormwood. I doubt there is any difference between the Swiss version and the US version aside from the label. Making a 2nd US specific batch doesn't make sense since their Swiss formula is already under 10mg/l and it would add expense to make a separate recipe for the US market. I think what has happened is now people are more familiar with what GOOD wormwood tastes like and they are noticing they don't taste ANY of it in Kubler.
Steyr850
That's what I was getting at.
Or trying to.
tabreaux
Ahem. . .

There is more to this story, and it has nothing to do with Kubler's lawyers. Check Oxy's site again soon for a very detailed, objective account of what happened, when it happened, and how it happened.
Donnie Darko
More story is always good.
Fredie
QUOTE(tabreaux @ Dec 19 2007, 07:14 PM) *

Ahem. . .

There is more to this story, and it has nothing to do with Kubler's lawyers. Check Oxy's site again soon for a very detailed, objective account of what happened, when it happened, and how it happened.

Yes, informative indeed….. Thanks Ted, and thanks Oxy.
And to any and all those who made this happen.

The Rev. Fredie V. dev.gif

myspace.com/winonasalibi
Marc
Fredie! Long time!

Welcum back!
Fredie
Thank you…. but I won't be staying long.
I prefer to just scan the reviews or sort through anything that Ted or Oxy posts…
that usually tells me what I need to know without all the 'drama'.

All the best to you though M. and to all those nice folks out there who
have been kind to me over the years or who I've met at Verte functions both
here and abroad….
Hopefully with this new legal status there will be more of the 'here' gatherings…..

Now if someone can just get the Old Ab. House in NOLA to start stock Jade or something of that nature……

Cheers all,

Fredie over & out….

myspace.com/winonasalibi

Oxygenee
QUOTE(Fredie @ Dec 21 2007, 07:39 PM) *

I prefer to just scan the reviews or sort through anything that Ted or Oxy posts…
that usually tells me what I need to know without all the 'drama'.

I'm disappointed you feel my posts lack drama.
Steve
Knowing Oxy, he will see this as a challenge!
Donnie Darko
Out of curiosity, has anybody noticed that the contents of that vintage bottle of Kubler are brown, which indicates that particular Kubler absinthe was probably a Verte? Kind of puts into doubt Kubler's whole claim about being faithful to the original recipe, unless they had an entirely separate formula for a blanche and vintage bottles of such have not been found.

Has anybody sampled vintage Kubler? Oxy?
Steyr850
Merry Christmas Fred-O!

leglamp.gif
tabreaux
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 21 2007, 11:07 AM) *

Out of curiosity, has anybody noticed that the contents of that vintage bottle of Kubler are brown, which indicates that particular Kubler absinthe was probably a Verte?

It's funny that you should mention this. Yes, it has not gone unnoticed. We find it equally peculiar.
josh_t
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 21 2007, 07:07 PM) *

Out of curiosity, has anybody noticed that the contents of that vintage bottle of Kubler are brown, which indicates that particular Kubler absinthe was probably a Verte? Kind of puts into doubts Kubler's whole claim about being faithful to the original recipe

I don't know anything about vintage Kubler, but I'm suspicious about Kubler's claim that the current American version is identical to the current European version.

The European version is certainly not an anise bomb, which is contrary to what has been said about the American version.

I suspect that they have several recipes, although the recipe for the current European version is very good.
Steve
QUOTE(josh_t @ Dec 21 2007, 11:58 AM) *
The European version is certainly not an anise bomb

Hmm… that's not the way I remember it!

I think they are exactly the same.
traineraz

Out of curiosity, has anybody noticed that the contents of that vintage bottle of Kubler are brown, which indicates that particular Kubler absinthe was probably a Verte?

Perhaps it was a Merde.

Just a guess.
Fredie
Oh, Ok David. How's this….

(Oxy, this inner soul now laid bare for the world to dissect, turns away in tears.
As he exits stage left he exclaims….)

QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 21 2007, 08:46 AM) *

I'm disappointed you feel my posts lack drama.

(The audience rises as one. Awestruck by the phenomenal performance they have just witnessed. Their thunderous applause causing the plaster in the upper rafters to rain down upon the stage like a spackled snowstorm…)

…any better?

Haha Anyways,
Merry Louchemas to all…. and to all a Verte night! abs-cheers.gif
C.F.Blok-Andersen
QUOTE(tabreaux @ Dec 21 2007, 12:37 PM) *

It's funny that you should mention this. Yes, it has not gone unnoticed. We find it equally peculiar.

Who's "We" Ted? I'm only interested because I am curious as to what vintage Kubler tastes like and who's tasted it.

Sante!
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Fredie @ Dec 22 2007, 03:18 AM) *

The audience rises as one. Awestruck by the phenomenal performance they have just witnessed. Their thunderous applause causing the plaster in the upper rafters to rain down upon the stage like a spackled snowstorm…

Yes, that's the effect I aim for.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 21 2007, 10:07 PM) *

Out of curiosity, has anybody noticed that the contents of that vintage bottle of Kubler are brown, which indicates that particular Kubler absinthe was probably a Verte? Kind of puts into doubt Kubler's whole claim about being faithful to the original recipe, unless they had an entirely separate formula for a blanche and vintage bottles of such have not been found.

Has anybody sampled vintage Kubler? Oxy?

The Kubler bottle in the photos - the only one I've ever seen - is still sealed. It's certainly a verte, but of course it's perfectly plausible that they also made a blanche, so tasting or analysis of this particular bottle really wouldn't tell you anything conclusive about the antecedents of the modern product.

My belief is that until the Swiss ban in 1908, blanches were no more common in Switzerland than they were in France. The specific identification of Swiss absinthe with a clear product is something that arises from the long history of clandestine production in the Val de Travers, not from the pre-ban era. I have a page under construction for the Virtual Museum, where I'll develop this thesis further.
speedle
QUOTE(C.F.Blok-Andersen @ Dec 22 2007, 12:58 AM) *

Who's "We" Ted? I'm only interested because I am curious as to what vintage Kubler tastes like and who's tasted it.

Sante!

Dear Mr. Blok-Andersen,
I regret to inform you that the probability of Ted including you in his collective "we" is approximately nil. Merry Christmas.

C.F.Blok-Andersen
QUOTE(speedle @ Dec 22 2007, 08:12 AM) *

QUOTE(C.F.Blok-Andersen @ Dec 22 2007, 12:58 AM) *

Sante!

Dear Mr. Blok-Andersen,
I regret to inform you that the probability of Ted including you in his collective "we" is approximately nil. Merry Christmas.

Dear Mr. Speedle,
I wasn't assuming part in any collective of Teds; rather, he used "we" and I was wondering if that included Oxy or some other group that's seen and tasted the vintage Kubler. From Oxy's prior note, it seems that bottle's still sealed.

Cheers!

abs-cheers.gif
speedle
If you'll go back and read a sampling of tabreaux posts over the years, you'll find he frequently writes in that "style", and so the collective "we" seemed entirely logical to me. Thus, your question seemed entirely smart-assed, to me. Thus my response.

I see now that is not the case at all, to my chagrin. abs-cheers.gif
C.F.Blok-Andersen
Sante! abs-cheers.gif
Oxygenee
QUOTE(tabreaux @ Dec 20 2007, 06:14 AM) *

Ahem. . .

Jared's account of the legalization effort from Viridian's perspective is now online here:

http://www.oxygenee.com/blog/

and here:

http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe-america/legalization.html
pierreverte
…™
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.