Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taboo Absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Brett
Get over the name, this is actually very nice.

The first whiff of Taboo reminds me of my forways into absinthe a few years ago, when I was still able to easily have it shipped. There are some very familiar scents in it. Herbal, vegetative scent. The more I smell it, the more it reminds me of Absinthe Old Way, that limited time, unlabelled concotion offered by FSC about five years ago.

Colour is a pale mint green; appears to be natural (I note chlorophyll is listed in the ingredients). Mixed with water it turns a very light pastel-milky colour. Opaque.

Well balanced flavour. The star anise is NOT overwhelming, and yes, this does contain green anise. Fennel also. Very subtle and light - it would probably make a good summer drink as the distiller suggests. Both wormwood and petite wormwood are used. Not as complex as some of the French absinthes I've tried, but this is the best stuff I can buy right now and it is far better than the alternatives. This is as close to French or Swiss absinthe as you'll get in BC.

Hopefully this will open the door to other quality absinthes.
hartsmar
Great!

Now do a proper review and post that in the "Newly rated absinthes" thread. Yay!
Brett
I plan on it…

As this is my first absinthe in…3 years, I didn't want to dive right in without out having it on a few occasions first! abs-cheers.gif
AxeSlinger
My bottle of taboo just arrived, had to pour a small sample to try it! Very tasty, but I'll agree that it's a very light tasting absinthe, even considering my limited experience. Just for general star-anise-paranoia information, green anise is listed before star anise on the ingredients, meaning it should in theory contain more green anise. In the first quick glass, the anise was definitely not tongue-numbing. Expect a review after a few more formal "tasting sessions". abs-cheers.gif

Edit: Just a quick note, the bottle is a handsome satiny-opaque black, and looks much nicer in person than it does in pictures. And much thanks to Oxy for providing an absinthe gateway for those of us in the snowy realm of Canada. I don't expect this to be my last purchase from absintheclassics.ca!
OCvertDe
So, does this mean Canada will have to be added to the buyer's guide before we can get formal reviews? I'm very curious about this one.
AxeSlinger
I'll take that as a small reminder to do a proper review. I've had half my bottle just "exploring", man this stuff goes fast! Can we have bigger than 500ml bottles soon?
Bruno Rygseck
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Feb 6 2008, 02:57 PM) *

So, does this mean Canada will have to be added to the buyer's guide before we can get formal reviews?

No need to wait for that. There is the Newly Rated Absinthes forum into which reviews of absinthes can be posted, if there is no thread for them in the (forum) buyer's guide yet. Hard-working Hartsmar will integrate them into a brand-specific thread at some suitable point.

Welcome, by the way!

/BR

OCvertDe
Down in the lower right? Yeah, I saw that, I was kind of surprised to not see it in there. Thanks for the welcome!

So, is ordering it from Okanagan Spirits the same as ordering it from Absinthe Classics Canada? And, is the $55 price in US or Canadian dollars? I guess the conversion rate is pretty close now, but just curious.
speedle
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Feb 6 2008, 05:45 PM) *
Down in the lower right? Yeah, I saw that, I was kind of surprised to not see it in there. Thanks for the welcome!

So, is ordering it from Okanagan Spirits the same as ordering it from Absinthe Classics Canada? And, is the $55 price in US or Canadian dollars? I guess the conversion rate is pretty close now, but just curious.

I ordered two bottles from Absinthe Classics canada because the promised shipping time seemed faster. Came to just under 150 US.
OCvertDe
Sounds like US. Oh well, it wouldn't have made that big a difference.
Nephrite
If you had to choose between Lucid and Taboo, which one would it be? I'm assuming Taboo. I'm a one dimensional absinthe drinker presently (not counting Kubler), if you consider St. George real absinthe, and salivating for something new, good and affordable… until I can afford a shipment from Europe.
OCvertDe
Me? Well, I haven't tried Taboo yet, but it sounds like it may be better than Lucid, which is my favorite so far in my quite limited experience. If nothing else, Lucid is an excellent bang for the buck right here in the states with free shipping. I will probably try Taboo next, only because of those I'm interested in it's the next one up the price ladder and it sounds interesting. This is largely dependent upon what the reviewers have to say about it when the scores hit the guide. I still have enough Absinthe here to last a couple months, so there's time for a bit more research before I'm pressed to order something. Assuming you were talking to me, of course.
Marc
QUOTE(Brett @ Dec 14 2007, 06:21 AM) *

There are some very familiar scents in it. Herbal, vegetative scent.

Yep, but not herbal as we like it to be, herbal scents from the Pontarlier or the Val de Travers fields after a soft rain.
That one is more a 'cooking recipe' experience, "let's add a little of this and a little of that and let's see how it turns".
I can't describe how it tastes yet, I'm still recovering.
Be ready to call 911 when you'll get a bottle.
Nephrite
Did you add sugar or try it without?
Marc
First sip without.
Then a loud "WTF???" was heard.
Then sugar was added.
No difference, still "WTF???".
OCvertDe
LOL!
Absinthesizer
QUOTE(ajunkie @ Feb 7 2008, 11:45 PM) *

If you had to choose between Lucid and Taboo, which one would it be? I'm assuming Taboo. I'm a one dimensional absinthe drinker presently (not counting Kubler), if you consider St. George real absinthe, and salivating for something new, good and affordable… until I can afford a shipment from Europe.
How affordable is it? Speedle said a liter of Taboo came to just under $150 with shipping to the US. That's almost exactly what I paid per liter the last time I ordered from LdF, and that was for 1797, Mystique and Belle Amie, which are probably considerably better.
OCvertDe
While it's not nearly as good of a "value", it becomes a lot more affordable when you only buy half a liter for $80something.

Only because it's easier to come up with $80 than $150, not because it's smarter.

Regardless, I still intend to try it, in which case I'll go with prudence over smarts and get less of it with a smaller investment.
Nephrite
Brett's and speedle's reviews are what prompted me to order Taboo. I realized this is not a classic or traditional style absinthe and was curious. I also realize people who prefer Pontarlier style absinthes may find some variations from this norm disgusting.

'In my opinion as long as the basics are covered—grand wormwood and anise—makers can use unusual accent botanicals and still call it absinthe…That's not to say it will necessarily be good absinthe'

At 3 bottles, Taboo came to around $130/liter with shipping… depends on the Exchange Rate.
OCvertDe
Another big purchase? I need to get into computers for a living.
speedle
I have given away both my bottles. I just couldn't take the fruitiness anymore. Even without sugar (at least it approaches "absinthe" in taste that way) I just would rather drink Lucid for a cheap absinthe, and if I'm gonna pay that kind of money I'd rather buy from LdF. Period. In the end, it was just too far off the mark, I believe mostly due to the base he uses and NOT due to any "weird" ingredients. Christ, they're all listed right there on the back label, and the only thing different than you'd expect was the base.

Nephrite
Now you tell me… I guess I'll use it for company or grin and bear it. My last little bit of Mystique is laughing at me. That was my final purchase until tax season is over too.
OCvertDe
Actually, if I remember speedle's opinion of St. George correctly, there's a good chance you will like it. IIRC, of course… I'm too lazy to do the verification homework right now.
Nephrite
I may add Taboo as a business expense and tax write off. I probably should consult Shabba first. I have rheumatism ya know and it does affect my work.
OCvertDe
Hey, my boss writes off almost $2k in Dunkin Donuts at tax time… why the hell not? I'd say either one falls neatly under "entertainment".
absinthist
QUOTE(speedle @ Mar 5 2008, 06:00 PM) *

I believe mostly due to the base he uses and NOT due to any "weird" ingredients. Christ, they're all listed right there on the back label, and the only thing different than you'd expect was the base.

The other bases and their minions using you
I tell you now there must be something you can do
At least my self-respect remains with me
'Cos I don't pretend that I'm something I can't be
OCvertDe
Uh… Linkin Park?
absinthist
Much earlier and less heavy. In original, of course, there were no "bases" mentioned.
OCvertDe
Wild guess offered in jest, you never know…
absinthist
Browse the forum you will find out easily, there is only one band I am quoting albeit changed for such special occassions.
dakini_painter

… ingredients. … they're all listed right there on the back label, and the only thing different than you'd expect was the base.

I haven't had this Taboo, but just because the ingredients are the usual culprits, doesn't mean they're of the quality necessary for the task at hand.

Provenance
How can it be taboo if it doesn't involve a goat?
Tibro
That would be voodoo you're thinking of. Taboo involves endangered species.
Marc
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Mar 6 2008, 06:46 PM) *

just because the ingredients are the usual culprits, doesn't mean they're of the quality necessary for the task at hand.

That's what I meant, you summarized it perfectly.
They're just 'weird', the A.A. must be coming from the Twilight Zone.
Wilson
So, sex with a goat is not taboo? Anymore?
louched liver
Ask the goat.
absinthist
The answer is taboo.
dakini_painter
viking_emoticon.gif You guys leave my goat friends alone! They're not for you, they're for the buck.

(For a year my day job was goat milking.)
Provenance
A cheesy occupation.
Jaded Prole
I'll bet she's got quite a grip though.
louched liver
On wha'?
Donnie Darko
A goat ate my shirt at a petting zoo when I was a kid.

I've eaten goat though, so I guess we're even.
dakini_painter
Not cheesy at all, they actually sold goat milk. It was awesome stuff. What wasn't sold as milk was made into yogurt.

Milking is done with the assistance of mechanical inflators. Much more efficient and faster than by hand.

Want to know what happens to the boy goats? (Hint: You only need one buck.)

Provenance
Too bad it wasn't cheesy. I enjoy chèvre.
OCvertDe
My boss's father is always trying to get me to eat goat cheese. Funky.
Nephrite
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Mar 7 2008, 01:24 AM) *

My boss's father is always trying to get me to eat goat cheese. Funky.

Eat the goat and wash it down with Taboo.
Tibro
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Mar 7 2008, 01:02 AM) *

A goat ate my shirt at a petting zoo when I was a kid.

And you grew up to be a real boy?
G&C
No, but he attempts to play one on the interwebs.
Donnie Darko
What else is a lonely Catholic priest supposed to do?

Our program of "No Child's Behind Left" didn't work out so well so we've got to try other methods.
Absomphe
TushyTouche.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.