Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The War Against Drink in France
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe History
Grim
Some of the stuff I'd read in this essay came up today. Thought I'd share a link for those who'd never seen it.

Here ya go.
absinthist
Cannot read it, if I find the chapter easily. Please, post the most important bits.
C.F.Blok-Andersen
Thanks Grim for this glance into the minds of those who opposed absinthe and other aperitifs. Indeed, it is a very interesting read. If those numbers are correct, then it is amazing just how much absinthe was consumed by the French. I imagine that they beefed the numbers up to gain support amongst those in opposition and for those on the fence.
Donnie Darko
Thanks for finding that Grim, I wasn't aware of that book. It's interesting as it's plainly apparent from his language that Absinthe was a scapegoat because its high proof and enormous popularity made it the most logical target (never mind the fact that when properly diluted it has nearly the same alcohol content per drink as wine). I thought his tone towards the affordable price of absinthe was particularly revealing. Apparently from his POV the pricier the drink the less intoxicating it is, and of course no one can be an alcoholic if they only drink wine or beer.

Surprisingly there is no mention of so-called Absinthism, only some vague statistics designed to make it appear that absinthe causes people to go insane more than other drinks (I wonder how they explained insanity once Absinthe was sucessfully prohibited?!?).
C.F.Blok-Andersen
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 21 2007, 07:57 PM) *

Surprisingly there is no mention of so-called Absinthism, only some vague statistics designed to make it appear that absinthe causes people to go insane more than other drinks (I wonder how they explained insanity once Absinthe was sucessfully prohibited?!?).

Exactly Donnie! Not to mention copious usage of cocaine, heroin, and laudanum often taken simultaneously with spirits such as absinthe. Drugs were legal and pervasive in society at that time and absinthe was the scapegoat.
SocratesGoneMad
An article I found on Google Books:

[url=http://www.broknspyrl.com/images/Pharmaceutical_Journal.pdf]Pharmaceutical Journal: A Weekly Record of Pharmacy and Allied Sciences
By Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain
Published by J. Churchill, 1869[/url]
Page 30 of the Journal, page 46 of the PDF to get straight to the Absinthe part. PDF is nearly 50Mb

The article by Pall Mall Gazette that is quoted sounds familiar in its tone and I love how the Lancet more or less tells them to shut the fuck up.
OCvertDe
(I wonder how they explained insanity once Absinthe was sucessfully prohibited?!?).

By pretending that people stopped going insane after.

"Move along people, nothing to see here" and

"Problem solved, we're all good now"
Tibro
The only good reason for dredging up a two year old post to quote is to point out spelling and grammatical errors. I wish I could give you half credit, but sorry, no wooden token this time either.
OCvertDe
I didn't dredge it up, it showed up in the new posts list and I noticed.

I wish your half credit was worth some wooden tokens, but as usual, it isn't worth it's weight in squirrel shit.
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Jan 17 2009, 09:48 AM) *

(I wonder how they explained insanity once Absinthe was sucessfully prohibited?!?).

By pretending that people stopped going insane after.

"Move along people, nothing to see here" and

"Problem solved, we're all good now"

I think the phrase you're searching for is "Mission Accomplished".
OCvertDe
That's the one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.