Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new absinthe glassware line
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
pierreverte
about as good as it gets so far, more designs to come:
http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Gla…mpus_Fugit.html
Ricki
Very nice!
eric
Yes indeed.
Donnie Darko
These glasses are only available through Liqueurs de France and Tempus Fugit and cannot be purchased directly from the Simon Pearce site or shops.

Waaaa. I go to Vermont a few times a year, maybe I'll visit his shop anyway just to see the master in action. Very beautiful work.
Absomphe
Absolutely gorgeous!
Marc
Beauties! Bravo!

Knowing how well made and sturdy they are, I'm glad they're engraved so that I won't see them on eBay sold as "antique".
hartsmar
Looking goooooode!
absinthist
Really beautiful, indeed.
grey boy
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 18 2007, 10:40 PM) *

Waaaa. I go to Vermont a few times a year, maybe I'll visit his shop anyway just to see the master in action. Very beautiful work.

Both VT studios are awesome,
and the one in Windsor is just up the road from the Harpoon brewery!

Having some of their work I have no doubt that these will be fantastic.
pierreverte
There will be a limited quantity available at the release party at St. George Distillery on the 21st.
Provenance
Those bubble glasses really are quite cool.

Just layer Serpis in the bottom bubble and a verte in the top and yule have the perfect holiday drink.
salsa
Beautiful glasses, and what a great show with the double bubble!!!

Strange to pay for something made in the US with a foreign currency when the dollar is so weak…
G&C
Asinine, actually.
Patlow
$'s would be nice.

Amazing glasses though. Another X-mas present from me to me! The best kind.
salsa
I don't have a problem with it but thought it was strange, I guess no different than their distribution of other absinthe accessories made in the U.S. Can't I want _everything_ available right here, right now?!

I _do_ have a problem with them demoing that awesome glass with Mansinthe, though…wink.gif
OCvertDe
QUOTE(grey boy @ Dec 19 2007, 08:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 18 2007, 10:40 PM) *

Both VT studios are awesome,
and the one in Windsor is just up the road from the Harpoon brewery!

Having some of their work I have no doubt that these will be fantastic.

I've been to both several times, and never once seen "the master in action". I was beginning to think he was just an imaginary marketing ploy or something. Nice stuff though. Overpriced IMO, but nice.
jmark
I got both the single and double reservoir glasses, and, as fun as they are to watch
the louche thru, IMHO, they are too large. They stand well above my regular absinthe
glasses and a regular dose and water looks rather small in them. Wish they were smaller.
G&C

Put a larger dose in it.
OCvertDe
LOL!

I'd also like to mention that the hand blown repro Pontalrier reservoir glasses that I got from AbsintheDevil for $17ea are easily as nice- if not nicer- than anything I've seen, used, or purchased from Simon Pierce. I don't see any reason to buy their absinthe glasses unless you just like to spend too much… or require extra large doses. abs-cheers.gif
Wild Bill Turkey
Or unless you really appreciate the big difference in quality.
The Pontarlier replica glasses we're all familiar with are great glasses, the standard most of us have settled on, although I greatly prefer the uncut versions you can buy from Maison d'Absinthe.

These are a quantum leap ahead though, seriously. You honestly can't see and feel the difference? From across the room? These are thick-walled glasses that still have remarkable clarity and balance, and the perfect heft. They feel great in your hand. They're sculptural, with big, generous curves and rounded edges.

The night I bought mine, John was displaying them at the St. George distillery, and kept whanging them into each other with enough force to make everyone around him nervous. He knew they weren't going to break. That makes a drunkard feel all safe and warm.

No, you don't need glasses this nice or this expensive to drink booze. But you get what you pay for with these glasses, if you can appreciate the differences.
OCvertDe
I can't, apparently. I've never been overly impressed with anything from Simon Pierce, it all looks bloated to me. I wouldn't like it any better if it was cheaper. I'm not going to say it isn't good stuff, I've already said that it is… but saying there is a quality difference to be appreciated by connoisseurs hits me like somebody saying that a Beluga whale is more beautiful than a dolphin. To me it just looks like it's pregnant, and using it as an excuse to eat for twelve.
Sure, you get what you pay for. You pay for a lot more glass, so it only makes sense that you get a lot more glass. That's all fine and good, if you want a lot of glass. To me it just looks like somebody doesn't know how to make them smaller. Heft is good for tits and guns, watches, hammers. I like my glassware light and delicate looking. I hate to think the abuse a glass would have to stand up to to require the massive mill rate of SP stuff. The day my repros came in the mail, while shaking off the water from the first rinse I whacked one against a cast iron pot in the sink so hard I almost shit myself. Amazingly, there wasn't even a chip in it. As far as I'm concerned, if I need something tougher than this I shouldn't be allowed to drink out of anything but a plastic sippy cup.
Provenance
Perhaps you shouldn't.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Provenance @ Feb 12 2008, 12:54 PM) *

No, a rip-off.

pierreverte
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Feb 12 2008, 07:17 PM) *

To me it just looks like somebody doesn't know how to make them smaller.

you've most likely never seen or held many/any antique absinthe glasses. all the Simon Pearce glasses, except for the Double Bubble, are based directly on original antique styles and their dimensions, and those glasses were sent directly to Simon Pearce. so far, he has been the only modern glassblower to correctly replicate the original thickness of the most classic French glasses (very, very few antique absinthe glasses were made with wine-glass thin walls) and has well surpassed the quality of raw glass used in the past…
speedle
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Feb 12 2008, 01:17 PM) *
I can't, apparently.

Perhaps you should check with your doctor. They have great meds these days.

OCvertDe
There aren't any meds for OCD that don't give me heartburn. I'd rather be anal retentive about details nobody else agrees on, thanks. If all of you like drinking out of big, heavy, clunky glasses that you can beat your wife to death with and not worry about them breaking, I'm sure not going to lose any sleep over it. The fact that mine aren't historically accurate doesn't bother me if accurate means they look like they were made out of a windshield. As I said, I've spent plenty of time browsing through Simon Pierce, and even got suckered into living with some of it. I just don't like it, it's all fricking huge, it just looks stupid. "The Simon Pierce shot glass: conveniently doubles as a flower pot, or even a boat anchor! And it's really clear too!" Big wup.
Steve
The Simon Pearce glasses are exquisite. Seeing them up close at the St. George distillery, they exceeded my expectations. I wanted them all but couldn't decide on one. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Pontarlier glass. I have a lot of the thin Pontarlier repros made for Frenchman etc. but they are nothing like the beautiful Simon Pearce glasses.
G&C
They also have nice glasses at the Dollar Store.
Head_prosthesis
Ha, sure they do.
And every home comes
with at least two Absinthe fountains.
One in the kitchen and one in the bathroom.
Head_prosthesis
If you're really lucky there's one
that reaches all the way across the front
yard so you can sit on the curb and drink.
absinthist
QUOTE(G&C @ Feb 12 2008, 08:11 PM) *

They also have nice glasses at the Dollar Store.

I bought mine in French hypermarket Leclerc. And have seen quite nice in British hypermarket Tesco as well. 3 glasses in the range 20-30zł (5.7-8.5 EUR).
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Head_prosthesis @ Feb 13 2008, 02:42 AM) *

Ha, sure they do.
And every home comes
with at least two Absinthe fountains.
One in the kitchen and one in the bathroom.

LOL… touche
G&C
QUOTE(Head_prosthesis @ Feb 12 2008, 11:45 PM) *
If you're really lucky there's one
that reaches all the way across the front
yard so you can sit on the curb and drink.

I believe one needs an adapter for that reach.
Head_prosthesis
Well, of course. But we can start
with the most commonly available.
Click to view attachment
Donnie Darko
That's the one instance where using a "vintage" fountain would not be advisable, unless you like Dysentery.
Fiestafly
[font=Garamond]
I just saw the Absinthe glasses at Simon Pearce on Fillmore St! $85 each, they look great! They have 2 different styles, as well as the sppons.
Neptunati
Stunning Art it really is butt 37 pounds for a glass? Also plus shipping! no thanks. I'm still pissed about the glass I paid good money for, then accidentally broke while hand washing. Now I'm quite fond of the $1.25 soda glasses I bought to drink my absinthe out of.
Steve
QUOTE(Fiestafly @ Feb 13 2008, 11:49 AM) *

I just saw the Absinthe glasses at Simon Pearce on Fillmore St! $85 each, they look great! They have 2 different styles, as well as the sppons.

I'm pretty sure they were $68 each at St. George Distillery, and they had all 4 styles.
Head_prosthesis
QUOTE(Neptunati @ Feb 13 2008, 12:43 PM) *

I'm still pissed about the glass I paid good money for, then accidentally broke while hand washing.

That'll teach yah. You're supposed to
let those babies get seasoned. So they
have a nice linoleum coating on them.
That way the burnt sugar won't stick to it.
Fiestafly
QUOTE(Spoon @ Feb 13 2008, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Fiestafly @ Feb 13 2008, 11:49 AM) *

I'm pretty sure they were $68 each at St. George Distillery, and they had all 4 styles.

Woops, ya, I got the price wrong. You're right, they are $68 at Simon Pearce
jmark
I think they are well made, but I prefer the proportions in the Cristalerias San Miguel glasses available from Liqueurs de France. Much cheaper. too. I think their cordon glass is the most elegant absinthe glass I've seen to date.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.