Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minneapolis Star Tribune
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
Deluge
Star Tribune

Highlights…

"Thujone was once believed to possess mind-altering properties; all we know for certain is that thu-jone is what causes absinthe to become cloudy when mixed with water."

Surprise …

"Their absinthe probably contained more thu-jone (up to 260 parts per million, vs. 10 parts per million today) and was almost always more potent (144 proof, vs. 124 now) than the modern incarnations."

Yes folks, this is front page news up hear in Minneapolis!
absinthist
Interestingly some claimed high-tujon absinths do not louche at all. But, what we know? Journalists always know better.
Absomphe
Hey, maybe in Minneapolis the louche really is caused by thujone.

You know, kind of like the toilet flushes in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere.

Or, more likely, that idiot should get a Winston.
absinthist
Butt the award should be given in January as the 1st Winston for 2008.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Deluge @ Dec 28 2007, 04:57 PM) *

Star Tribune

Highlights…

"Thujone was once believed to possess mind-altering properties; all we know for certain is that thu-jone is what causes absinthe to become cloudy when mixed with water."

Surprise …

"Their absinthe probably contained more thu-jone (up to 260 parts per million, vs. 10 parts per million today) and was almost always more potent (144 proof, vs. 124 now) than the modern incarnations."

Yes folks, this is front page news up hear in Minneapolis!

I hope you wrote a letter to the editor.
Ari
Everytime I mix chop.gif with water it becomes cloudy. You need to grind it up first though. The heat from a caramelized honey glaze activates the hallucinogenic properties of chop.gif.

Always remember when doing research, Bob, the twitchy intern down the hall, is an accurate source of information.
Oxygenee
It's really a remarkable achievement to come up with an entirely new piece of misinformation about absinthe - and then to qualify it with "all we know for certain"!

Despite a very strong field, I believe we have a clear winner for the hotly contested 2008 Winstons.
hartsmar
The infamous author of the Swedish book about absinthe which I've reviewed thoroughly, claimed the same. He even went as far as to claim that anethole turns to camphor when it crystalizes, and that is what causes the "louche".

Some chemist!

Need I say that my rebuttal more than certainly takes care of that little bit - and then some.
Bruno Rygseck
QUOTE(hartsmar @ Dec 30 2007, 12:51 PM) *

Need I say that my rebuttal more than certainly takes care of that little bit - and then some.

It does indeed, Markus.

And to the non-Swedish readers, now you have a good reason to learn Swedish.

Fredfry
It's actually the Bear wizz in the water that creates the louche (or may be green fairy wizz)
Absinthesizer
"It's in the water - that's why it's yellow!"

Bear Whiz Beer. One of the classic Firesign Theater bits. heart.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.