Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fountain or Perfume Dispenser?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
jonathan_carfax
Late night 2am impulse purchase - but no money has changed hands.

Nor will it if it is a dud.

My first lesson in fountain buying.

Oxy?
Adam-V
I'm no expert on such things and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but it looks to me like it isn't tall enough to fit a glass under the spigot. I would think that in order to be deemed to be a true absinthe fountain, this ability would be a prerequisite.

Cheers,
Adam-V
jonathan_carfax
QUOTE(Adam-V @ Jan 6 2008, 08:00 PM) *

I'm no expert on such things and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but it looks to me like it isn't tall enough to fit a glass under the spigot.

Thats what I thought in the clearer light of morning….I think I have fair grounds to say no under ebay rules.

Is it a Pastis fountain?

I know there are references in the archives but the graphics have long gone from ebay view for comparison.
hartsmar
Looks an awful lot like a perfume dispenser.
At a height of 35cm you'll need a lot of imagination to fit a standing 16 cm absinthe glass under that spigot...

jonathan_carfax
And I think you're right - it is a perfume dispenser, albiet a rather attractive one.

Thanks for affirming my suspicions.
Oxygenee
Rule #1: Always consult the Virtual Absinthe Museum first.
http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe-antique/fakes.html
Donnie Darko
Yeah, that's a perfume dispenser. My wife tried to surprise me a couple of years ago and actually bought a similar one for me as a gift. It was no small endeavor to get her money back, and a couple expert collectors were kind enough to help out. Most sellers insist they are absinthe fountains, sometimes because they are purposefully misrepresenting them but usually because they bought them assuming they were absinthe fountains and don't want to admit they were mistaken because it makes them look less knowledgeable about what they are selling.

jonathan_carfax
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Jan 10 2008, 02:05 PM) *

Rule #1: Always consult the Virtual Absinthe Museum first.
http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe-antique/fakes.html

Thanks Oxy- I went looking for just such a page on your site but was looking in the wrong place I suspect…

The seller didn't raise any objections when I said I was not going through with the sale as it was not what was being represented - resolved very quickly. There were no black marks against this sellers records so I suspect he was intending to keep it that way.

Anyhoo - I can get some decent repros locally now…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.