Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Czech absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Fatvod
Hey everybody!

Well my friend happened to come upon a bottle of Absinthe a few days ago.

I need to know weather or not it is a good quality and how to drink it.

The bottle is ceramic and it says Czech absinthe on it.

It was unopened when he got it also.
Now I want to know if I should just do shots or if I should produce the louche effect and prepare it properly. If the quality is not the greatest I dont know if I should bother going through it. I also heard of a method where you light the sugar on fire and let it melt into it. Is this method good or does it ruin the taste?

One last question. I dont have an absinthe spoon. I was wondering if I could use something as a substitute? Any Ideas?

Thanks!!
Shabba53
For Czech Strong, I hear a toilet bowl works perfectly well as a substitute for a spoon.
absinthist

that contains 5 years old Absinthe from the private reserve of the owner, that will satisfy every specialty herbal alcoholic beverage lover through its high content of more than 25 various top quality herbs, included the famous artemisia absinthium (wormwood or chop.gif).

Wonderin' how vile was it back then that it had to be kept out of world for 5 yrs?

Our first principle here: sink it, even if it might be not artificially coloured. Leave the bottle, might be useful.
Patlow
Try this method:

1- Call 911
2- Break bottle over your own head
3- Set self on fire
4- Reconsider using internet for advice
Shabba53
Boggsy, maybe you should post a link to the video clip you made of how to prepare Czech absinth. I think it will be quite apropos in this thread. abs-cheers.gif
Fatvod
Hah wow……
So its junk??

Well thats sort of a dissapointment. What is the best modern day absinthe? or atleast one of the best?

And even though its not top of the line stuff is it really that bad? Or is it just liquor with a fancy name and made to seem like absinthe?
Shabba53
It's about as bad as you can get.

Check the review guide to find some good ones.
Fatvod
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Jan 9 2008, 05:17 PM) *

It's about as bad as you can get.

Check the review guide to find some good ones.

Wow at 100 dollars a bottle I didnt expect that!

Well damn I had my hopes up.

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?o…9&Itemid=85

What about this?
Jaded Prole
Live & learn.
You've come to the right place though. Check the Buyer's guide and you'll do better next time.
traineraz
Wow, if only there were some sort of a "Buyer's Guide" where you could read all about different brands of absinthe, with extensive reviews. And hey, perhaps there should also be a "Frequently Asked Questions" section, where you could find the answers to questions which are asked frequently.

Ya know, I've not looked at the navigation bar at the top of the page in a while. Hey, the second listing from the left says "Absinthe Buyer's Guide"! Hmm, maybe that might be handy.

Lookee here! If I mouse over "The Absinthe Forum" I find a FAQ!

WOW!
Bruno Rygseck
Also, familiarize yourself with the absinthe rating system and after you know how it works write a review of your czech un-sinthe. If there isn´t a review thread for it in the Buyer´s Guide forum, post your review into the Newly Rated Absinthes thread. Even the czech brand reviews are welcome there. Especially when reviewed by newbies with fresh palates. Remember to dilute to 1:3 (3 = water), use cold water dripping slowly. It will be interesting to read what, if anything, happens. You do not have to drink it all, just taste it.

And use the handy review TOOL.

BR
Shabba53
QUOTE(Fatvod @ Jan 9 2008, 05:33 PM) *

What about this?

Yes?

As for the price, KOSG is one of the most expensive (and crappiest) absinths out there. Price does not equal quality.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Fatvod @ Jan 9 2008, 01:26 PM) *

Now I want to know if I should produce the louche effect and prepare it properly. I

Why, are you planning on adding anise, and redistilling it? sleepy.gif
Fatvod
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Jan 9 2008, 07:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Fatvod @ Jan 9 2008, 01:26 PM) *

Now I want to know if I should produce the louche effect and prepare it properly. I

Why, are you planning on adding anise, and redistilling it? sleepy.gif

Well ive seen different methods. For example burning the sugar and letting it melt into it.
Jaded Prole
redistilling?

no-czechs3.gif

Forget the fire crap. Now go and read the faq. There will be a test . . .
Shabba53
QUOTE(Fatvod @ Jan 9 2008, 07:56 PM) *

For example burning the sugar and letting it melt into it.

Click to view attachment
Fatvod
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Jan 9 2008, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Fatvod @ Jan 9 2008, 07:56 PM) *

For example burning the sugar and letting it melt into it.

Click to view attachment

Yea I wasnt gonna do that method as I have read it is terrible for the taste and ruins it. So that was pretty much out.
salsa
Might make good insecticide or Molotov cocktails. Wouldn't try any other cocktail though.

Pricey lesson, but at least you've gotten here!

IPB Image
absinthist
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Jan 9 2008, 02:07 PM) *

Boggsy, maybe you should post a link to the video clip you made of how to prepare Czech absinth. I think it will be quite apropos in this thread. abs-cheers.gif

Surely. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCFp6mc7_-A

However, it was just regular Stromu, not the Añejo Jaune Especial Reserva™ edition you are the lucky possessor of abs-cheers.gif
Shabba53
Ha!
Absomphe
QUOTE(Jaded Prol @ Jan 9 2008, 04:57 PM) *

redistilling?

Sorry, I didn't have my sarcasm alert emoticon handy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.