Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maitresse Rouge
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Vamediah
IPB Image
ive had my eye on buying this absinthe for a while, but I'm definitely not in any hurry, i just got a few jades a couple of weeks ago and some other things are on their way. Its very interesting to me though, has anyone here tired it? was it any good? and the most important question, was it worth 49EUR?

and what about red absinthe during the Belle Epoque, did it exist? and finally, is there any important differences between naturally colored red and green absinthe's?
The Standard Deviant
It explains about the red absinthe on the Liqueurs de France website.
Patlow
It is fantastic! And it's beautiful when louched.

Another purpose? It can serve as a great "gateway Absinthe" for new comers.

Over X-mas, it was a big hit at an impromtu Absinthe party I had where many in attendance baulked at trying the green fairy and had never seen Absinthe outside of bad movies.

But after the Maitresse Rouge their curiosity was peaked and inhibitions lowered and many moved on to sample other varieties.

It also fills the room with a wonderful hibiscus aroma.

It is a personal favorite of mine and I would recommend to anyone.
absinthist
QUOTE(Vamediah @ Jan 23 2008, 07:29 AM) *

and what about red absinthe during the Belle Epoque, did it exist? and finally, is there any important differences between naturally colored red and green absinthe's?

Have not you just answered the question with a proper poster?

Verte-herbal, rouge-fruity.
Green Baron
I noticed that it can be found under the buyer's guide under it's old name (according to LDF), Un Emile Rouge-

http://www.feeverte.net/guide/country/france/un_emile_rouge/

Look's like with an average score of 69, it is the highest scoring rouge in the guide that I've run across…and apparently the overall highest scoring Un Emile absinthe as well. I'm curious if the recipe has been tweaked along with the new label, as all the reviews seem to refer to it's Un Emile labeling.

Then there's Serpis 55, a macerated rouge with a rating of…well, 55 (sorry if I'm going OT here, but I've been getting curious about rouge absinthe)-

http://www.feeverte.net/guide/country/spai…enta_serpis_55/

The rest of the reds all appear to be crapsinthe….anyone else know of other high quality rouges that are out there?

Wild Bill Turkey
As it says on the LdF website, this year's version of the Emile Rouge has a new recipe as well as a new name and packaging.

Also, the real Serpis is the 65º
pierreverte
http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Pernot.html

where does it say there is a new recipe?

alandia's site even said it had grenadine in it… NOT!
hartsmar
This year's limited offering is hand-labelled and numbered by Florence.

oh la la
Green Baron
Right you are sir!

I remember a passage or two that implied the Maitresse Rouge recipe was modified, but I missed this from LDF- "We feel this year's version is more balanced than the first, more refreshing and easily invites a second glass".

Serpis 65 has some intriguing reviews and an overall rating of 81 even…
http://www.feeverte.net/guide/country/spai…enta_serpis_65/

Thanks for the head's up! I guess reading is fundamental av-80.gif

Sounds like the two are very different but very good. Fascinating!
Wild Bill Turkey
I'm not sure what changes that LdF page is refering to, that make this year's product "more balanced" without changing the recipe. I'm assuming changes in quantities of ingredients or methodology must not be involved, as either would be considered a change in the recipe, as I understand the word.

But there you have it from the horse's mouth, no changes to the recipe.

Thanks for the correction.
Vamediah
seems i really stirred up the hive, god i love you poeple abs-cheers.gif

a rating of 81 is really not bad at all. i got a few red absinthes on the way that i ordered before christmas, not sure witch ones i ordered but looking back now… probably crapsinthe, but hopefully drinkable. Red absinthe seems to be the only good color of absinthe other than green ofcouse. black and blue absinthe is scary, probably should say absinth.

i guess LdF is the best place to get the improved version of the Maitresse Rouge eh? alandia is an ok site, but they do have alot of crap there.

@absinthist: you are definitley right about that, didnt actually think about the poster.
jmark
The Serpis 65 is wonderful, louches like apricot juice, but I do believe
that the coloring is not natural.

On the plus side of that: it tastes more traditionally herbal
than a hibiscus-colored absinthe.

On the minus: it tastes less floral
than a hibiscus-colored absinthe.

jm
Vamediah
jmark: im drikning a little serpis 55 right now and its actually an ok absinthe, the 65 version might be a little better, im not a fan of absinthes below 60 really. one thing that struck me about it is that you can smell the alcohol before adding the water but after that its pretty much gone, not all gone but not very invasive.

dont think ill buy it again its good for casual drinking though and ill definately finnish this bottle.

on a related note, the other red absinthe i ordered was a trul red. it was disgusting, the color after adding water ws a sickly candy-pink with no real taste to it. it was hard to drink any other absinthe after that.
when i ordered it, firstly i didnt notice that trul was printed on its neck, and i didnt notice that it was an absinth. i orderd it before i found the buyers guide i think, anyway it disgusting and i dont think ill ever even drink another glass of it.

and it was my first bigger order from alandia.de as well, i got some matches and an alandia branded sugar-cube, oh joy.
absinthist
whio the fuckisvar medieohooh?
Absomphe
Waitress, Czech please. wacko.gif
absinthist
I remember receiving the check, not that bad.
Green Baron
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Jan 24 2008, 12:43 AM) *

I'm not sure what changes that LdF page is refering to, that make this year's product "more balanced" without changing the recipe. I'm assuming changes in quantities of ingredients or methodology must not be involved, as either would be considered a change in the recipe, as I understand the word.

But there you have it from the horse's mouth, no changes to the recipe.

Thanks for the correction.

Just to clarify (since this thread has been revived) that I was trying to back up WB's observations that the recipe MUST have been changed, rather than agree with the people doubting it had been changed. Although LDF doesn't come right out and literally state "the recipe has been changed", yeah it certainly does say it's more balanced. My bad if this post is unnecessary/redundant, I'll have to recalibrate my sarcasm detector.
pierreverte
the ingredients are the same, thus the recipe of ingredients has not changed. the technique with which it was made has been tweeked and improved from the experiements of the first version…
Green Baron
Thanks for your patience and for providing yet another clarification. I guess I got confused over semantics…I was thinking 'recipe' not just in terms of ingredients, but also proportions and processes. I still have much to learn, and I also need to chuck my sarcasm detector for a whole new model.

All this thinking is making me thirsty…I'll just have to actually order a bottle of Maitresse and drink it!
Patlow
Mine has turned orange-ish, but looks the same when water is added. I need a new bottle soon.
Selmac
Hibiscus has never been a very stable coloring agent in my experience.
Marc
True.
And terribly acrid, shouldn't belong to any absinthe imho.
Provenance
Sort of like basil and stinging nettles.
louched liver
How saintly of
you to say.
pierreverte
>shouldn't belong to any absinthe imho.

but, ya know, when you can do anything you want, what the fuck?
Marc
I know, Pernot is a very nice place for 'experiences'.
And some people still love the Maitresse.
I don't, the 2 rouges are the only ones I really don't like from the 'experiences'.
G&C
I could add a couple more.
Marc
Don't be shy.
Kirk
I drank a red absinthe last night that was Divine, excellent louche and a flavor that could turn anyone into an alcoholic,
that's why they unlegalized absinthe, when done right, you can't not drink it.
Anything that tastes that good should be illegal.
pierreverte
where can i buy some??!!
Jaded Prole
7-11
Steyr850
'Pis.
pierreverte
Click to view attachmentsweeeet!
Kirk
That's not Juan.
Head_prosthesis
Red Absinthe is soooo… It's been so long I forgot.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.