Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Truth about Yams.
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
anatomist
I found my faith in everything I believe to be real shaken to the core recently by some shocking new revelations about vegetables. For instance, I recently discovered that what I have long thought to be yams were in fact sweet potatoes, and I have never tasted a real yam in my life. It turns out real yams are in an entirely different taxonomic category, and almost no one in the US notices or cares. Not only do they not know they have no real knowledge or experience of yams, they don't even know that they don't know.

Anyway, here's a bracing dose of truth for you. Sometimes real yams are huge, like logs, up to 8 feet long.

IPB Image

Sometimes they are shades of purple so extreme that they render any current conception of reality meaningless.

IPB Image

You've been lied to, and everyone around you seems curiously unconcerned. When was the last time you ever heard anyone, anywhere say anything negative about vegetables? Think about it. Yams, so-called "cabbages"… what else aren't they telling us?

IPB Image
Absomphe
QUOTE(anatomist @ Jan 24 2008, 05:42 PM) *

When was the last time you ever heard anyone, anywhere say anything negative about vegetables?

Bruxelles Spreauts taste like merde.

There, you happy now? harhar.gif
Wild Bill Turkey

almost no one in the US notices or cares

The south takes their sweet potatoes very seriously. If you try passing a yam off as a sweet potato in Knoxville, Tennessee, you better have a friend waiting nearby with the engine running…
anatomist
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Jan 24 2008, 10:30 PM) *

almost no one in the US notices or cares

The south takes their sweet potatoes very seriously. If you try passing a yam off as a sweet potato in Knoxville, Tennessee, you better have a friend waiting nearby with the engine running…

The thing is, they've probably never seen a real yam, and are in fact getting all bent about an imaginary distinction between different types of sweet potato.

As far as self-preservation goes, if you want to go around being all iconoclastic in the south, I recommend a carry permit, something in a .38 or larger, and a certain amount of drawing and move-and-shoot scenario practice. The 'duty to retreat' is gone in FL and some other states, which means it's pretty much open season on anyone who pisses you off. Getting to the nearby vehicle will probably require some cover fire, at least.
Kirk
Tapioca, now that's worth killing over, but what is it?
Donnie Darko
Transparent yam balls?
Jaded Prole
Tapioca is made from cassava root. a starchy tuber that is a staple in many parts of the world. I think it's the same as the manioc eaten in the Amazon rain forest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.