Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smoke Free
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Corn Hole
Wilson
Today makes 6 months without a cigarette. I consider it a milestone and I feel like celebrating tonight. I only have a 1/3 liter of F. Guy, but that will have to do. I wish I had some better hooch for this occasion. I plan to start the night at the local sushi bar. No telling where I will go after that.

I smoked for 34 years and enjoyed it, but it was a nasty habit. I got tired of smelling like an ash tray, and wasting too much of my hard earned money. Besides, nowadays everyone looks at you like you are some evil heartless bastard for smoking and it is getting to the point where you almost have to go hide in the woods to light one up. It won't be long till every country has anti-smoking laws. I figured I might as well get a head start so that I wasn't going through withdrawal symptoms along with millions of people at once.
Wilson
Just had a thought. I will stop by the liquor store on the way home from work and grab a bottle of cognac. Earthquakes should make a great celebratory drink!
Absomphe
Congrats, Wilson.

The cognac might overwhelm that wimpy Frankie G, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. abs-cheers.gif
Provenance
You could try going six months without a drink and celebrate with a cigar.
Donnie Darko
Congrats, quitting smoking is hard but it's smart you did it.

I'm actually OK with all those anti-smoking laws. I was against them, even though I wasn't a smoker, but then I realized how nice it is to go to a bar and not come home with burning eyes, horribly smelly clothes and having to use my asthma inhaler.

The other thing is in NYC cigarettes are now $8 a pack due to taxes. With those prices you'll commit fiscal suicide far before committing physical suicide.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Provenance @ Feb 1 2008, 01:12 PM) *

You could try going six months without a drink and celebrate with a cigar.

No reason to quit drinking unless you're an out of control alcoholic. My great-grandma drank a big strawberry daquiri every day until she died at the ripe old age of 96. Booze in moderation is good for you.
G&C
The other thing is in NYC cigarettes are now $8 a pack due to taxes. With those prices you'll commit fiscal suicide far before committing physical suicide.

That's the idea.
Selmac
How much absinthe can I drink before it becomes bad for me?
absinthist
Bottle a day shall keep doctor away.

and

http://www.hobogirl.com/quotes/HGQ-Drinking.htm
Absomphe
QUOTE(Selmac @ Feb 1 2008, 02:07 PM) *

Probably too much.

Which is never enough.
bob_chong
Wow, congrats!

Just think--in 34 years, if you smoked about a pack a day, you smoked almost a quarter million cigarettes. That's about 5.5 lbs of tar in your lungs.
Nephrite
QUOTE(Selmac @ Feb 1 2008, 10:07 PM) *

When you can't remember posting here the night before.
Wilson
QUOTE(bob_chong @ Feb 1 2008, 10:47 PM) *

Just think--in 34 years, if you smoked about a pack a day, you smoked almost a quarter million cigarettes. That's about 5.5 lbs of tar in your lungs.

That is just about how much I coughed up the first few weeks after I quit. blink.gif
bob_chong
Wasn't it wild when you regained your sense of smell? I had no idea I had lost so much acuity until I quit (and I had smoked for "only" five years).
Wilson
Oh yeah. At first, it took some getting used to. Sometimes, was just overpowering. It is getting easier now.
Pataphysician
Yeah, congratulations! I smoked for about 10 years and quit several years ago. After a while you won't miss it at all. Just last week I had a party and bummed a smoke from a friend. It was like having one for the very first time -- repulsive. I just about vomited, I had no memory of ever enjoying that.
Nephrite
Quitting after 34 years is a milestone in of itself. I'm sure that will add at least a few more years to your life.

I quit and started 3 times over a 20 year period before really stopping. Any time I have the the slightest urge to feel what a cigarette tastes like, I imagine going to someone's car ashtray and lighting a stale dry butt… the one that has been sitting next to a piece of chewing gum.
Wilson
At 2 packs a day with the cost around here, I am looking at a savings of $180 a month. That's £90 I can spend on good absinthe. I would rather drink absinthe than smell like an ash tray.
Provenance
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Feb 1 2008, 01:17 PM) *
The other thing is in NYC cigarettes are now $8 a pack due to taxes.
Which is greatly appreciated by cigarette smugglers.

Hezbollah's Hoard

Nathan Vardi 08.14.06

Its primary backer is Iran. But a lot of money comes from the Americas.

The money comes from, among other sources, illicit trade in tobacco and controlled substances. Last month Imad Hamadeh of Dearborn Heights, Mich. and Theodore Schenk of Miami Beach pleaded guilty to federal racketeering charges over their involvement in a cigarette-smuggling gang that avoided $20 million in sales taxes. According to federal prosecutors, the ring was also engaged in diverting funds to Hezbollah.

Hamadeh and Schenk were part of a much larger group. A federal indictment of 18 men unsealed in March charged that the gang spent eight years moving smokes from low-tax and untaxed jurisdictions, like North Carolina and Indian reservations, into high-tax Michigan and New York.
salsa
Wilson, that's great-- congratulations!!!

I quit after smoking cigarettes after ~ten years-- it's a great thing to be done with!

FWIW people tend to remark that it isn't that difficult to quit-- hopefully it wasn't that tough. I stopped a bunch of times over the years-- that wasn't hard-- but it was difficult not to take it up again over a boozy weekend in smoky bars.

Seems like actually *wanting* to quit is a powerful thing-- never had much for physical withdrawal symptoms; always suspected "tobacco is as addictive as cocaine or heroin" as a desperate ploy by the tobacco industry-- "it's just so hard to quit-- you'll never do it"!

Steve
I used to smoke off and on, last quitting about 25 years ago. Once in a while I have a puff or two and it tastes fantastic, but I can't smoke a whole cigarette and I hate smelling smoke in bars/restaurants in places where it's not banned.
Shabba53
I personally can't stand cigarettes, but I LOVE a good cigar every once in a while. I might smoke one every other month or so at this point. And the same goes with the hookah.
absinthist
I have tried but never liked it, so big respect for Wilson for his personal success abs-cheers.gif .

From my relatives and friends, I hear it is really a difficult but achievable task. My father used to smoke long time ago, I have banned it. I don't like when ladies smoke, it is very unfeminine, but on the other hand, have nothing against someone smoking in my presence as long as the person does not puff in my direction.
Provenance
Women should not smoke because it's unfeminine? Congratulations on coming up with the first bad reason for not smoking.
Tibro
Aren't Polish girls known for their femininity?
absinthist
Oh, it depends. I mean that when they behave not like ladies, in most of the cases they are smokers. However, I have met several smoking ladies who were behaving like ladies. If you are a non-smoker and you are about to kiss an ashtray, you know why it might taste unfeminine to some.

And yes, Polish girls are known for femininity and themselves they consider smoking a vice. Those that are smoking heavily nowadays are girls from primary or high school if in recent times, smoking per se is not that kewel anymore either amongst youngsters or adults.
hobgoblin
Well done for giving up smoking. It is not an easy thing to do!

I quit smoking 15 years ago, I had been smoking for 10 year up to then. It took several attempts. Funny thing is that after about 6 months after I quit I was able to smoke the odd social packet of 20 when I was out getting hammered and not feel the need to carry on under normal circumstances. Now, perhaps its age, although I still crave the idea of social smoking, any time I smoke a cigarette when I'm drunk, I throw up.
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Provenance @ Feb 4 2008, 09:04 PM) *

Women should not smoke because it's unfeminine? Congratulations on coming up with the first bad reason for not smoking.

That's Absinthist for you, ever the man of progress.
absinthist

The Roman Pontiff can and ought to be reconciled and come to terms with Progress, Liberalism and modern Culture (or Civilization). (Syllabus of Errors, Condemned Proposition 80) by Pope Pius IX. That is what we think about progress.
hobgoblin
QUOTE(absinthist @ Feb 19 2008, 07:31 PM) *

The Roman Pontiff can and ought to be reconciled and come to terms with Progress, Liberalism and modern Culture (or Civilization). (Syllabus of Errors, Condemned Proposition 80) by Pope Pius IX. That is what we think about progress.

Wrong thread pal. We're talking about smoking here.
Tibro
QUOTE(absinthist @ Feb 19 2008, 08:31 PM) *

The Righteous Babes can and ought to be reconciled and come to terms with Chew, Snuff and Smokeless Tobacco (to be Feminine).

You just have to know how to read him.
absinthist
Nice interpretation.
Tibro
Well, I did hear that Polish girls prefer to spit.
absinthist
It depends on a girl, some swallow.
Tibro
Is it a matter of discipline versus dogma? Which is more feminine?
absinthist
Rather discipline. Mainly what social group they are representing and what school they were attending. But there is a Rule-she will never do it on the first date, still depending how drunk she would be, though. Dogma as such is in Polish 'dogmat', so more masculine.
Absomphe
QUOTE(absinthist @ Feb 19 2008, 01:41 PM) *

depends™ on a girl

It's a pity when they lose bladder control so young, and it doesn't bode well for much muscle control in more important areas. evill.gif
Head_prosthesis
To bad Vera isn't in on this conversation
to give the Polish Womans side of view.

Down Chonger! I'm not talking about THAT view.
Donnie Darko
Yes, what is the Polish woman's view of Polish sausage?
Shabba53
Hidden from view.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.