Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brits are morons, too
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
bob_chong
LONDON (AFP) - Britons are losing their grip on reality, according to a poll out Monday which showed that nearly a quarter think Winston Churchill was a myth while the majority reckon Sherlock Holmes was real.

The survey found that 47 percent thought the 12th century English king Richard the Lionheart was a myth.

And 23 percent thought World War II prime minister Churchill was made up. The same percentage thought Crimean War nurse Florence Nightingale did not actually exist.

Three percent thought Charles Dickens, one of Britain's most famous writers, is a work of fiction himself.

Indian political leader Mahatma Gandhi and Battle of Waterloo victor the Duke of Wellington also appeared in the top 10 of people thought to be myths.

Meanwhile, 58 percent thought Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional detective Holmes actually existed; 33 percent thought the same of W. E. Johns' fictional pilot and adventurer Biggles.

UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people.
Wilson
It's just as bad on this side of the pond. I wouldn't send most people out to get the newspaper. They would get lost in the front yard.
speedle
If electricity comes from electrons does that mean that morons are what morals come from?
Pataphysician
If you listen to the way Republicans talk about him, you'd realize that Winston Churchill is a myth.
Donnie Darko
Weren't Ronald Reagan and Churchill born on Mount Olympus together? Which one controls the weather, and which one do we pray to so that the crops are plentiful? I can never remember…

Jaded Prole
At least Churchill had brains.
Pataphysician
But Reagan showed that they weren't necessary.
bob_chong
And yet he was elected by extremely wide margins.

Nephrite
I better keep my mouth shut…
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(bob_chong @ Feb 4 2008, 11:20 PM) *

And yet he was elected by extremely wide margins.

Well, that must mean he is the best president ever then.

This is my favorite quote of his: "The state of California has no business subsidizing intellectual curiosity."

Fredfry
You may have morons, but only in america do we have MORANS! blink.gif Click to view attachment
Donnie Darko
Bob loves that picture because that neanderthal is wearing a Cardinals shirt.
bob_chong
Great catch, Donnie! I didn't even realize that before. Yes, I love this picture.
hobgoblin
QUOTE(bob_chong @ Feb 4 2008, 03:01 PM) *

LONDON (AFP) - Britons are losing their grip on reality, according to a poll out Monday which showed that nearly a quarter think Winston Churchill was a myth while the majority reckon Sherlock Holmes was real.

It's a sad reflection, but not at all surprising. There was a time when we genuinely could look across the pond and scoff at Americans as being thick and stupid, but it seems we've 'caught up' with you in this area.

Chav culture, 'gangsta' rap, dis-functional families, and the Blairite notion that the past historical and cultural heritage is only of very limited importance to society, are amongst the factors that have lead to this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.