Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthe that you won't buy another bottle .
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
EdouardPerneau
What Absinthe that you won't buy another bottle ?

for myself : eichelberger verte 68%

and you ?
Hopelessly Lost
Where to start?

My first absinthe, Verte de Fougerolles, was a treat. But she will probably go the way of other firsts that I have had.

For a long time, she was the only absinthe I bought, because she was better than anything else at that price (under 50 euro - i.e. less than $500 in worthless greenbacks, which took me a long time to save up, i.e. many days of not feeding the cat and pocketing the savings).

I tried Un Emile, and that certainly doesn't compare to the stuff the Pernot distillery is producing nowadays. I also had something called Muse de France (I think?) which was unremarkable.

But VdF simply doesn't compare to the Belle Amie, which recently came out and is surprisingly cheap (same price as VdF), especially considering that she is beating all the Jades in the popularity poll on this forum.

…which kind of leads me to the conclusion: at the speed in which the market is evolving, how do we know what absinthes we are never going to buy again? A few months ago, I would never have guessed that I would probably never again buy VdF.

It's one of those sad stories where you never got to kiss good-bye.

wormwood.gif
Shabba53
QUOTE(EdouardPerneau @ Feb 6 2008, 02:24 PM) *

for myself : eichelberger verte 68%

Really? I love Ike 68.

edit: Looking back, I think I misunderstood. I think you were asking which absinthe do you like so much as to never buy a different type again. I'm still not sure though.

If that's the case, then there are several absinthes I'd be more than happy drinking, without buy any others. 1901, Belle Amie, Mystique, Ike 68 and a few others as well.

If it's more like WBT, then I think Lemercier would be the one I used to like long ago, but has fallen behind the all the great new offerings.
Wild Bill Turkey
HL, either you're french and your english is incredibly good except that you never learned to say "it", or you've decided that absinthes are like ships.

But I take your point about what we may like now being outdated someday. There are a lot of people here who used to swear by Deva, and there was a time when the VdF was about the best there was at any price. Don't feel so bad, you may find that at some point in the future, the taste of VdF has a sentimental attraction for you, like the YooHoo of your youth, and that you haven't had your last glass just yet.

Donnie Darko
It's easier to name the ones I would buy a 2nd time as the list is much shorter.

PF1901
Edouard
Verte Suisse
Mystique
Belle Amie
Lucid (only if I'm too broke to afford the other stuff w/ shipping, and because I have to walk all of two blocks to buy it)
EdouardPerneau
to make clear :
the absinthe that you don't like and you don't want to buy another bottle again .
Selmac
Pretty much all of them with few exceptions, like Donnie says.

I rather liked Ike though.
Shabba53
Ah, so I was right the first time.

There's quite a few of those. Mostly Czech stuff. Stromu, Strong, absinth Original, etc.
Jaded Prole
I'd buy verte de Fougerelles again as well as Jade Suisse Verte or PF01 but not before I try the Mystique.

Absomphe
QUOTE(EdouardPerneau @ Feb 6 2008, 01:17 PM) *

to make clear :
the absinthe that you don't like and you don't want to buy another bottle again .

King of Spirits.
EdouardPerneau
So you ever tasted ?
G&C
This guy's a winner.
eric
Indeed™.
Bruno Rygseck
These are not awfully bad but disappointing, I think (won't buy again):
  • Versinthe la blanche
  • Pernod 68 (aux extraits d' etc.)
  • La Fée (Parisien)

Also avoid "new" Zürcher Fee (seems to be lacking anise and the wonderful wine alcohol base). Buyer beware, the old version was great.

BR
Absomphe
QUOTE(EdouardPerneau @ Feb 6 2008, 04:44 PM) *

So you ever tasted ?

No, I made it up, dumass™.

Of course I tasted it.

It was 1999, and I wanted to party like it.
Wilson
I will never buy another bottle of Bairnsfather Reality Absinth. What a waste of money. Why do the college kids think this stuff is cool? There is nothing cool about it. It is just vile. It's so bad, I don't want to subject myself to it again to do a real review of it for the site.

I was going to add La Fee Absinthe Parisienne to this list, but I added a splash of Martell cognac and it became quite drinkable. Who knew? I still won't buy more, but it is nice to know that if that is all that is available, it can be salvageable.
OCvertDe
Sebor. If you consider it Absinth(e) at all, which apparently even they don't or they'd spell it right.

Actually, on second thought, I may piss away $20 for a nip of it at some point, once I've started reviewing, so that I can see how much worse it truly is than I thought it was when it was the only one I'd tasted.
Donnie Darko
I can't believe with all the drinkable distilled options available now people are still buying any of that shit.
OCvertDe
Of course you can. You know how advertising works, just look at how many people blow hundreds of dollars on "get rich quick" internet scams. It doesn't have to be true, honest, or even make any sense at all, but advertise it right and people will buy it.
Green Baron
Well, so far (in my 'extensive' 2 month history of absinthe exploration lol) I've tried, in chronological order-

Jade Edouard (I've had 3 bottles to date now)
Roquette 1797
Duplais Verte
Brevans HR Giger
Lucid
Kubler 53
Jade PF1901
Jade Verte Suisse
Blanchette

I'd order every single one of them again. I try to research a lot in this site's buyer's guide, since I don't have the funds to waste on crap (if I was rich, I'd probably pick up some czechsinth and some La Fee, Sebor, ect. for comparison).

If I was forced to choose one that I would not order again, I'd have to go with Blanchette. Not because it's low quality, but definitely does have an unusual profile that I have to be in the mood for. I wouldn't buy Lucid again either if I could afford to endless bottles of my good friend Edouard, since it's not quite as floral and complex…but it does have an excellent quality to price ratio for those of us in the U.S. .
G&C
Crap is not worth it at any price.

Life is too short.
Marc
Indeed™
moschops
True, unless it's a can of Pierre Manzoni's crap for cheap.
Bruno Rygseck
Better open them and let them breathe a bit before aging.

absinthist
And shake before serving.
moschops
I bet the bouquet is room-filling.
absinthist
Nuanceful, indeed.
Green Baron
Sure, it may SAY it's artisianal, but how can we be assured it follows the original recipe? Is it produced on 100 year old equipment? Besides, I'm sure it's GOT to be artificially colored.
jmark
Hmmmm…I would never buy again…

Montmartre
Doubs Mystique
Roquette 1797
CCC
Alandia Gold 68

The Alandia Gold was horrible, the others just not my taste.
Bruno Rygseck
OK… do you mean the "old" Doubs (Doubs Premium Absinthe) by any chance?
jmark
No, the new Mystique.
I like it ok, but I'll spend my money
on Duplais, Jade & VdF.
More my taste.

Hemingway's Hangover
I actually haven't had any of the VdF for at least a year and a half, I might have to order another bottle. I've been sidetracked by the new releases….
Marc
My half bottle of BdF that had aged opened for a year and a half was delicious.
And apparently same goes for the VdF from what I heard.
Sleeper
-PF 1901

-Jade Edouard

For now at least. If I'm going to get a Jade, it'll be my favorite, the Verte Suisse.
Ricki
Old Doubs
Head_prosthesis
Most brands.
I have a gas tank to fill.

dakini_painter
Maybe the Czechs will be able to supply us with cheap ethanol for our cars.
OCvertDe
Or really crappy, expensive ethanol with contrived story about how they came up with it first and have the best, most authentic ethanol you can get making it worth the extra money.
absinthist
Please, specify
OCvertDe
Let me rephrase: remember how Al Gore invented the internet?
absinthist
To some extent, so, elaborate
OCvertDe
I really don't know how he did it.
absinthist
Me, either. But what has Al Gore, internet to do with ethanol per se? Cannot tell much for Czech lih, but Slovakian lieh, especially the wheat variety is very good and smooth when implied in the spirits' industry; then explain what are you talking about in the line: "or really crappy(…)", hence my question. AFAIK, ethanol in the initial stage is cheap as fuck, it is the excise tax that makes it so expensive, at least in here.
OCvertDe
AH! I see what you're asking for.

The Al Gore analogy was to Sebor.
Absomphe
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ May 5 2008, 04:10 AM) *

Let me rephrase: remember how Al Gore invented the internet?

Was that anything like How William Shatner Changed the World?
OCvertDe
I think Bill Shatner had a lot more to do with changing the world than Al Gore had to do with inventing the internet; but at least in theory, yes.
EdouardPerneau
QUOTE(Sleeper @ May 4 2008, 09:29 PM) *

-PF 1901

-Jade Edouard

For now at least. If I'm going to get a Jade, it'll be my favorite, the Verte Suisse.

I was thinking like this but after 2-3 month of verte suisse I need to get back to edouard and pf 1901.Did you try Nouvelle-Orléans ?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ May 5 2008, 07:22 AM) *

AH! I see what you're asking for.

The Al Gore analogy was to Sebor.

Thanks for clearing up what was a dumb and irrelvant remark before you clarified it and continues to be a dumb irrelevant remark after clarification.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
Doctor Love

If Al Gore made an absinthe, I wouldn't buy it.
absinthist
Iffen if 'twas environmentally-friendly? harhar.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.