Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: thujone myth/reality, plus shipped to Canada
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
gils_lochnee
Good Evening, absinthe drinkers,

I would like to know, what is the general opinion of this forum regarding the thujon content of a given absinthe , and its effect? some will say that thujon has no psychotropic effects, but then you see a source like erowid.org, who i respect, (http://www.erowid.org/plants/wormwood/wormwood_basics.shtml) describing its effects; and this without the collection of other potent herbs and alcohol found in absinthe.

specifically, does anyone have a low vs. high thujon-content experience to share?

- secondary topic, i'm in Canada and trying to locate a high-thujon absinthe; not czech absinth because it does seem that this recipe may be different; however I am still interested in a bitter (generous wormwood) product… do you have any recommendations? abisinthe amer 72 is my current choice; also, what is a good proven online store *that ships to canada?

thanks,

gils
Wild Bill Turkey
This is an interesting topic, and one that we've never discussed here. Thujone? I guess we've never really talked about it. In fact I think maybe we should put a phrase or two in the FAQs about thujone. Did you check there?

Erowid is definitely the place to go for absinthe information. People are not allowed to post there unless their opinions are known to be fact, and while the people here are kind of casual about absinthe, the people on Erowid take it very seriously, and really get into the science and history of it.

Also, check this out: Absinthe Canuckois
Hopelessly Lost
This is obviously the kind of thing that pisses people on this forum off, so I'll try to give a quick answer before everybody burns this poster:

Fact #1. Thuj0ne variations between absinthes have absolutely NO effect on the effects or even the toxicity of the absinthes.

Fact #2. There is disagreement between absinthe drinkers over whether absinthe has "secondary effects" beyond those of alcohol. Many respectable users of this forum - including the owner of Vert d'Absinthe shop in Paris and Ted Breaux, founder of Jade Liqueurs - believe that absinthe has secondary effects, myself included. However, those secondary effects, if they exist, are not the result of thuj0ne, and "high thuj0ne" absinthes do not give anyone "stronger" secondary effects.
Head_prosthesis
What are you talking about?
Wild Bill is love!
Green Baron
That's right. I'm still fairly new around here, but from what I've seen, Wild Bill doesn't have a sarcastic bone in his body. He's a straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

IPB Image
gils_lochnee
hi Hopelessly Lost; since thujon is a neurotoxin (see the link to a relevant medical journal article below), to say that it does not increase toxicity is incorrect. it would be really interesting to hear from someone who has sampled both varieties (hi vs. low) with the intent of comparative analysis. not to be too academically focused here; p.s. i think it is great to have such a forum,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1791287…Pubmed_RVDocSum

gils

QUOTE(Hopelessly Lost @ Feb 8 2008, 11:00 PM) *

This is obviously the kind of thing that pisses people on this forum off, so I'll try to give a quick answer before everybody burns this poster:

Fact #1. Thuj0ne variations between absinthes have absolutely NO effect on the effects or even the toxicity of the absinthes.

Fact #2. There is disagreement between absinthe drinkers over whether absinthe has "secondary effects" beyond those of alcohol. Many respectable users of this forum - including the owner of Vert d'Absinthe shop in Paris and Ted Breaux, founder of Jade Liqueurs - believe that absinthe has secondary effects, myself included. However, those secondary effects, if they exist, are not the result of thuj0ne, and "high thuj0ne" absinthes do not give anyone "stronger" secondary effects.

Nephrite
First, I have had a 3rd of a bottle of Thuj0ne free absinthe… it's Friday! Second, I feel and "seem" to think more clearly than when I drink the same amount of good cask strength single malt scotch… yeah, I'm pretty plastered. Third, I hope I remember posting this.

If this were wine, brandy or beer, I would have gone to sleep by now… I'm still wide awake. I have written and thought things that I could not have easily expressed when sober… perhaps I should give up drinking every other week again to test this. Hard to do a double blind study on ones self when under the influence.

Maybe we should not be looking at Thuj0ne so hard but see what the other combination of ingredients may be doing with alcohol with regards to mental acuity. If indeed there are ingredients in absinthe (anise, fennel, etc.) that help heighten mental acuity when inebriated or even the perception of mental acuity, then we might want to… umm, keep testing abs-cheers.gif

If alcohol is a catalyst for the ingredients in absinthe to take effect on the mind, then keep drinking good quality absinthe. Maybe the small traces of Thuj0ne in pre banned absinthes have a more profound homeopathic effect when combined with the other ingredients?
jonathan_carfax
QUOTE(ajunkie @ Feb 8 2008, 09:46 PM) *

Maybe the small traces of Thuj0ne in pre banned absinthes have a more profound homeopathic effect?

Trace amounts does not equal homoeopathy or homoeopathic effect.

I'm not aware of any absinthe recipe calling for serial dilution and succussion - and this is, according to classical homoeopathy, what potentises a solution.

If you are into that sort of thing.

Nephrite
I'm not really into homeothopy… and I am grabbing at straws here. Technically, I should not like absinthe as much as scotch. Maybe I'm a freak, maybe it's absinthe. This stuff tastes/feels really good… and it's not even traditional. I almost hate to see what happens when I get my hands on real absinthe. I can see I'll need to earn more money.

If there is an alcohol free absinthe that resembles a Jade PF 1901… I may give up drinking. I'm due for a dry spell soon anyway.
Hopelessly Lost
I definitely agree that "maybe we should not be looking at Thuj0ne so hard but see what the other combination of ingredients may be doing with alcohol with regards to mental acuity." That seems to be what Ted Breaux says in all his interviews, and he is a fancy chemist with a B.S. degree.

I know from personal experience that absinthe produces a lot more lucid, and pleasant, drunk than regular alcohol. And it has given me vivid dreams (I otherwise never, ever dream).

It's an interesting subject, and one that merits a lot more discussion than the simplistic clashes between the "I'm trippin balz" crowd versus the "it's just alcohol/placebo" crowd.

As far as the toxicity of thuj0ne, what I said is correct only because the thuj0ne variations in contemporary (and historic) absinthes are all way too low to get anywhere near toxic levels.
Marc
You should all know by now that thuyone makes your ballz bounce.
End of Story™
absinthist
Or go there for more relevant information:

http://www.thujone.info/science.html

And then you can trip ballz™ just as in the heyday.
Fredfry
Forget chop.gif. If you are determined to trip ballz you should look into Salvia Divinorum, a psychotropic. It's legal in the United States and the effect produced are to say the least profound. It is smoked much like Pot in a water pipe, the effects come on rather quickly and last for approximately 20 minutes and you will not be in control of reality or your surroundings for that period of time. I suggest you do NOT use this substance unless, you use extreme caution and have another person with you who is sympathetic and has used this drug. Salvia is NOT a recreational drug, it will alter perception, you will "trip" but it is not to be taken for "fun" it is used primarily for self exploration. So lets stop with the chop.gif debate, you will never trip on chop.gif ever. So Drink Absinthe and have fun because it's an interesting and intoxicating beverage no more no less.

Although I have first hand knowledge of the drug, I do not endorse the use of Salvia Divinorum and great care should be taken with respect to this substance.
Nephrite
Not only should you have a friend with you but being tied down in a bed or to a chair is also recommended.
Absinthesizer
WBT, that is my favorite posting of all time. I'm having it tattooed onto my tongue even as I type this.
Fredfry
QUOTE(ajunkie @ Feb 9 2008, 01:26 PM) *

Not only should you have a friend with you but being tied down in a bed or to a chair is also recommended.

especially during wild sex!! chickawow.gif
gils_lochnee
well Hi there, just to wrap this up, I 'gotta say that I just spent two days drinking half a bottle of the Lemercier 72 amer (amer means bitter in french, didja know, which means higher wormwood content) and there wasn't much to say about any kind of trip. its a strong alcohol, with mmm, good herbs and actually quite a tasty treat, but its not in anyway psychedelic; probably some extra energy from the herbs, (secondary eff?). I'm not totally convinced, i mean perhaps my senses were dulled from all of the other psychedelics in my life (renee) but i'm a fan, for sure. cheers and drink up!

GFL
Pataphysician
OK then. There ya have it, folks. Absinthe is not psychedelic. Let's close up shop here. Take down the website, Oxy.
Shabba53
QUOTE(gils_lochnee @ Feb 23 2008, 01:31 PM) *

well Hi there, just to wrap this up, <blah blah blah>.

Click to view attachment
Fredfry
Yeah I agree with Pataphysician take down this site and put up a CVS or Rite-Aid site so they can dispense govt. sanctioned drugs! Do they make/perscribe medicinal quality LSD? hyper.gif
Nephrite
Not unless you're in the military, but I hear our State sanctioned California Medical Herbal Program is quite good. Watch out for the Feds though.
speedle
And wisely so, Mr. clueless seems to have drifted back into lurk-dom, presumably to be better edujamacated before opening up to us again. blink.gif
Oxygenee
QUOTE(gils_lochnee @ Feb 9 2008, 06:29 AM) *

Good Evening, absinthe drinkers,

I would like to know, what is the general opinion of this forum regarding the thujon content of a given absinthe , and its effect? some will say that thujon has no psychotropic effects, but then you see a source like erowid.org, who i respect, (http://www.erowid.org/plants/wormwood/wormwood_basics.shtml) describing its effects; and this without the collection of other potent herbs and alcohol found in absinthe.

specifically, does anyone have a low vs. high thujon-content experience to share?

- secondary topic, i'm in Canada and trying to locate a high-thujon absinthe; not czech absinth because it does seem that this recipe may be different; however I am still interested in a bitter (generous wormwood) product… do you have any recommendations? abisinthe amer 72 is my current choice; also, what is a good proven online store *that ships to canada?

thanks,

gils

Conte d'Ugenta

groupwave reversed.gif
Donnie Darko
Princeton, New Jersey, Feb. 25 (Bloomberg Data) --Market analysts at Piper Jaffray have said that with the US legalization of Absinthe, now would be a prudent time to buy as many shares as possible in the Winston Award, as the increasing necessity for their use is far outstripping supply. "I'm changing my neutral recommendation for Winston award shares to a strong buy recommendation and upgrading it to market outperform from market perform. The makers of the Winston award have a whole new untapped market opening up for them, which will likely ensure demand for their product for years to come", said analyst Terry Laudermilch.

Shares for the Darwin Award also skyrocketed on the announcement in after hours trading by 7.9%.
louched liver
Ha!

Who the guck
was Fil Knockknees?

And why the fuck
as well?
Lost Highway
Ok every time I drink Absinthe, weather it be low tjone, or high tjone, as that crap absinthe original, I have never noticed any tripping or colors or anything of the sort.
However, I do feel secondary effects, I can compare it to smoking a little pot, and I feel very alert, more aware. I think that everybody acts different to the herbal content which makes the absinthe, and I personally think thats what makes the drink so great. It is genuinely THE drink you have to try to actually know what everyone is talking about, or to actually understand why people love it. But you should not drink absinthe for the secondary effects. You should drink absinthe for its wonderful bouquet of scents, its glorious range of palatable flavors, and the sheer beauty of the louche, as it cuts clouds throughout the green liquid turning it into a drinkable light green pearl. If those reasons do not satisfy your "secondary effects" then YOU sir have a problem.
dakini_painter
I've never had a secondary effect from absinthe. And no one cares.

And no reason to pick at the carcass of a three month old dead thread. As humorous as it may be.
G&C

Lord Stanley
I'm kinda glad he picked at the carcass. I missed it the first time around. Even though it did have a "deja vu all over again" ring to it.
Provenance
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Jun 2 2008, 02:50 AM) *
I've never had a secondary effect from absinthe.
Does your bank account concur?
Marc
R.I.P. dead horse.
Lost Highway
Sorry but I am new and I was just looking around, I had no idea that it was so old.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.