Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The NEW Black Bowmore
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Cellar
Shabba53
As many of you who are Scotch fans may know, the Black Bowmore is the epitome of what Scotch is. It is the Holy Grail of any Scotch collector or drinker.

John Hansell, Publisher and Editor of Malt Advocate magazine rated it a 97. It's the highest rating he has EVER given. He said the following in his review:

In short, this is one of the most fascinating whiskies I have ever tasted! It’s better than the original Black Bowmore trio. I know that many of you don’t want to hear me say this, because it’s so damned expensive. You would prefer I say that it tastes old and woody, far past its prime, not as good as the original Black Bowmore whiskies, and should only be purchased by wealthy collectors who don’t care how the whisky tastes. But I can’t.

Those of you who tasted one of the original Black Bowmore whiskies will instantly recognize this one as being from the same family as soon as you nose it. No other Bowmore whisky smells or tastes like this. I think it’s partly from where the whisky was stored (The No. 1 Vaults). More importantly, I think what really gives the Black Bowmore whiskies their distinctive personality is the type of sherry casks they were matured in. The casks were from William & Humbert who described them as “walnut sherry” casks.

The damp, earthen warehouse, its proximity to the sea, these specific sherry casks, and the distinctive Bowmore spirit all combine to make this a very individualistic whisky. And the oak, while always present, never dominates.

What I think impresses me most is how the whisky evolves. On the nose and palate, this is a thick, viscous, whisky, with notes of sticky toffee, earthy oak, fig cake, roasted nuts, fallen fruit, pancake batter, black cherry, ripe peach, dark chocolate covered espresso bean, polished leather, tobacco, a hint of wild game and lingering, leafy damp kiln smoke. Flavors continue on the palate long after swallowing. This is what we all hope for (and dream of) in an older whisky!

I'm looking for a few (up to 20) good men (or women) who woud be interested in obtaining some. It won't be cheap. Each 'investor' can purchase it at $250 per ounce, which would include repackaging and distribution. I'm not looking to profit here, just get enough investors so that I can try it myself without being forced to sleep on the couch for the next six months.

I will not be accepting any payments until I know I have enough committments to actually obtain the bottle.

PM me for more information or to add yourself to the investor's list.
Absomphe
It sounds very interesting, but I enjoyed three generous shots of Black Bowmore at the old Westchester Brewing Co. for $56 a shot in 1998, so the inflation rate's a bit rich for my blood. abs-cheers.gif
Shabba53
Yeah, no crap. But there will be no more after this bottling.
Nephrite
It's still available for a mere £1,975.00 at The Whisky Exchange. The 42 year old appears to be the cheapest of the Blacks for some reason. I highly recommend adding a bottle of Ardbeg “Provenance”. The 10 year old is all I drink these days… it's cheap and good.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/SearchDet…s=bowmore+black

I would be interested in obtaining a sample however, I no longer have these kinds of funds… unless I pick up another good client soon.
Shabba53
If we can get it for cheaper, then we most certainly will! I wonder what shipping would be from there.
Nephrite
Shipping is better at 4 bottles or more. When I ordered my last 12 bottles about 2 1/2 years ago from the exchange, it came to something like 15.00 USD a bottle. The British pound was closer to 1.6 to the US Dollar then. I found the whisky exchange to be the most reasonable online resource for rare malts in general.

Note, when ordering older malts, there is a risk of corked bottles. This happens when the bottle has not been taken care of like when the bottle is left on it's side for a long period of time. This allows the high proof alcohol to eat through the cork and allow air in which, oxidizes the spirit to a point where it may be undrinkable. I have had 2 such bottles and 1 that was borderline out of 18 or so from the exchange. All of them were 19yo St. Magdalene so I suspect it was their source.

It's better to spend a little more if you can verify that the source has indeed taken care of it's stock. Unfortunately, even the source may have no way of knowing what the history of a bottle is before arrival in their inventory.
Shabba53
I thought a 'corked' bottle had nothing to do with the alcohol eating through the cork, or time in the bottle, and everything to do with Trichloroanisole contamination.

Besides, the new Black Bowmore wasn't bottled all that long ago. It's been in the casks the entire time, not aging in the bottle.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Feb 11 2008, 09:01 PM) *

I wonder what shipping would be from there.

Less than the insurance? wacko.gif
Nephrite
I picked up the term corked from the whisky forum I used to attend. Popping open a 200.00 bottle of whisky and wishing you could dump it down the drain can bring a tear to the eye… especially when you force yourself to drink it instead.
Donnie Darko
$200 is cheap. The "cork" factor happened to me with a 1940s Pernod Fils Taragonna for a lot more $. The first few glasses were actually fantastic but after only a couple of days the exposure to oxygen rapidly brought out that "burnt rubber" stench from it being corked, and rendered it mostly undrinkable. That was before I knew about how to extract the liquor while leaving the cork intact, which would make the "corked" aspect far less noticeable.
Nephrite
I want to be making what you're making a year!

I have a hard time justifying 100.00 USD a bottle lately. Most of the 200.00+ bottles I drank, I wished I kept for later. I keep my last bottle of Saint Magdalene 19 yo as a sobering reminder of good things past… hard to believe I was guzzling this and other stuff when it was so much cheaper.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(ajunkie @ Feb 14 2008, 12:33 AM) *

I want to be making what you're making a year!

Not this year, you don't. I haven't seen a paycheck since December 24th. A client for a non-union job (normally all our work is union contract work), hasn't paid for work done 2 months ago, and so I've got to hire a lawyer. Want to buy a sealed (and non-"corked") bottle of Pernod Fils Tarragonna?
Le Gimp
Yea.

Can I afford it?

No.

Nephrite
Yes, if I could afford it. I really need to go sober for a month so I can work late evenings and focus on increased cash flow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.