Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kevin Smith
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Fredfry
What happened to Kevin Smith? There was a time when Kevin smith was funny, inspired, circa Clerks through chasing Amy, but after that it seems he got too full of himself silent Bob "spoke" too loud. Watching him now, so full of himself, in movies like Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and Clerks II was almost painful. This is a phenomenon That I have seem happen all too often in the arts, people go from promising unknown to known to accomplished to all to often, a parody of what they once were. Well at least it was good while it lasted. frusty.gif
bob_chong
I, too, loved Clerks. And much of it still stands up, although I see more flaws in it now.

Most of the rest of his stuff is a self-indulgent heap. His slide into unintended self-parody was perhaps the fastest of any any artist of his generation. And surrounding himself with jock-sniffers has been no help.
Head_prosthesis
That's exactly why I don't grant interviews.
It keeps the art pure.
Fredfry
yeah, pure BS! harhar.gif
Head_prosthesis
It's the people I serve,
that keep me humble and grounded.

Click to view attachment

Absomphe
I hope ya serve 'em with a heapin' helpin' o' kibble, just to make the lucky dogs who got away feel vindicated. evill.gif
existone
I whole heartedly disagree with the analysis that Kevin Smith has gone anywhere. I think, that if anything, he is now pandering more to his demographic. When he was making his first indie films he was also trying to make a break into an industry. To assume otherwise would be ridiculous. Clerks II was everything Clerks was just with color. He used nobody's (aside from Rosario Dawson) and it was still as twisted as anything else he has ever written. I think you liked "I want to be a film maker" Kevin Smith and not "I am a film maker and here is what I really think, even if it involves smoking copious amounts of Marijuana and a donkey show" Kevin Smith. Maybe you just have the wrong paradigm when it concerns him.
Sleeper
QUOTE(Fredfry @ Feb 18 2008, 10:17 AM) *

This is a phenomenon That I have seem happen all too often in the arts, people go from promising unknown to known to accomplished to all to often, a parody of what they once were. Well at least it was good while it lasted. frusty.gif

Then you got guys in the business like M. Night Shalamananon who have always been arrogant charlatans, yet somehow pull off this phenom vibe until about movie #3 or 4.

Fredfry
Although I wouldn't say that Smith is a charlatan, and I don't think you are comparing the two either. I do think there are some similarities when it comes to egos. When the artists ego gets in the way, thats when it comes out on film. There is a scene in Clerks II when they cut to Silent Bob who looks in through the drive through window at Moobys and mugs for the camera demanding to be seen as the reincarnation of Groucho Marx. The cut was self serving and gratuitous it lent nothing to the films narrative, it interrupted the natural flow of the scene and once again "Silent Bob" screamed look at me. no-czechs3.gif
louched liver
I'm only guessin'
Buster Keaton
and Chaplin forums
analyze every frame
like this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.