Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Western Australia seeking to 'ban' absinthe shooters
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
jonathan_carfax

Well, any shooters actually, but absinthe is mentioned.

The issue here is that some venues have decided to take a responsible self-regulatory approach to alcohol abuse.

And then the guv'mint man thinks by taking it one step further they can reduce alcohol fueled violence and binge drinking.

Because all beer drinkers are responsible don't you know.

While it may encourage more refined absinthe drinking - its the authoritarian jackboot I don't like, particularly when they enjoy the high tax benefits. dry.gif

No Cocksucking Cowboys for any of you!

dildollpink.gif
absinthist
The Gate Bar and Bistro, in Success, which opened in November, has stopped serving 30ml nips of alcohol.

blink.gif
"If a group of people are ordering a round of shots, we look at certain things like the time of day. If they order a second round of shots we would likely tell them that's their last.''

Jeez! Where do these guys live?

For all our Aussie friends, sincere condolences. Poland awaits you with traditional 50ml shots of any spirit, no restrictions on buying 5th of 10th round or ordering spirit by bottle(s) (with 15-30% discount), always with titbits and guaranteed atmosphere.
Wilson
We are running into the same issues here. If you ordered too many shots and got drunk, then crashed your car on the way home, you could sue the bar owner and every employee that works there on the grounds that they were not watching out for your best interests and wellbeing. Liability is doing more than passing laws could do. No business owner wants to be sued by someone who can't handle their liquor and doesn't know when to quit.

25 years ago, here in the south (USA), it was every southerner's god given right to drive drunk. Things changed. Now drinking and driving is looked down upon almost as bad as smokers.
Zenzero
well i think you aussie's just have to get ready for real absinthe, cuz the cab sav, plonk and other alcoholic grape juices ain't getting any better, according to this
absinthist
When party is over, no matter how shitfaced you are, you call a taxi. After reunion, we have been to four places using one taxi and it cost us (three guys) 6 USD in total. Drunk-driving is de modee.

Pylloxera heart.gif good olde times when wine-makers started plotting…
Shabba53
QUOTE(absinthist @ Feb 25 2008, 09:27 AM) *

After reunion, we have been to four places using one taxi and it cost us (three guys) 6 USD in total.

Hah! You obviously haven't taken a cab in the DC area.
Selmac
No kidding. At that rate I would take a taxi everywhere I went.
Tibro
Maybe first you need to find a job that pays in Zlotys.
absinthist
Exactly, it was 15zł to be correct (one shot, for comparison, costs a mere 5zł).

I believe, taking cab in DC is similar to taking one in Warsaw evill.gif
jonathan_carfax
QUOTE(Zenzero @ Feb 25 2008, 05:30 AM) *

well i think you aussie's just have to get ready for real absinthe, cuz the cab sav, plonk and other alcoholic grape juices ain't getting any better, according to this

Naaaah, I'm South Australian, we haven't really got those problems - our Barossa, Clare Valley, McLaren Vale and Limestone Coast drops are doing just fine.

And we're getting real absinthe already and have been for quite a while.

But different drinks for different occasions - I've always noted the Green Fairy and Bacchus don't dance well together.
Zenzero
history has proven otherwise, but hell, i'm winin', it's good you got the real deal - including co, i presume – so at least you know what you're talkin' 'bout.

cheers mate.
Kommienezuspadt
I just undertook the Western Australian Department of Racing Gaming and Liquor's "Responsible Service of Alcohol Training".

Fuck it was a treat.

Because the state has relaxed it's Liquor Licensing laws for the first time in five hundred years (not quite that long) there's been a knee-jerk reaction to try and prevent some anticipated slew of drunkenness related injuries/incidents/accidents.

For example, the explicit power of employees to eject patrons from a licensed premise, suggested refusal of service to patrons showing ANY sign of intoxication, etc.

Also, licensed premises will be subject to greater scrutiny from the Dept. of Racing Gaming & Liquor if they serve shots, shooters, slammers, half-priced drinks, twofers, etc. ad nauseum.

So apparently, drinking is still okay as long as you never get drunk.

And no bastard here serves real Absinthe anyway…
louched liver
Sounds like 'Mercuh.
Wilson
Let them in the door. Serve them one drink, and kick them out. That way, no one gets drunk.
absinthist
If they do not perceive what they are drinking, they might be asked to leave. If they insist they know exactly what they are drinking and drive others mad, they might be kicked out. Nevertheless, why someone might dare ruining the fun of others? It is not ethical. If you do not get just slightly drunk, what was the drinking for?
louched liver
Always a valid question.

What the fuck IS the
drinkin' for?
absinthist
To get more or less drunk?
Le Gimp
Well, which is it?

More

Or

Less?
Wilson
I vote for more
absinthist
Tradition calls for "more". Otherwise, it won't make much sense, just like that 2 rounds and end of the party. What party when there was no drinking whatsoever? Just rinsing the throat with a drop of alcohol.
Provenance
Less is more.

Except for when Les is Paul.

And Paul is dead.

But Les Paul is alive.

Proving that playing the guitar can save your life.
Wilson
Playing the guitar can get you laid.
A lot!
Steyr850
Martin S.
gits a little
piece.
louched liver
Martin Short?

Mebbe as Jimminy
Glick.
Steyr850
Sex Ton
Ricki
I live in Western Australia and the only "absinthe" they sell in pubs and clubs over here is that dirty Stromu(aka Green Fairy) absinth shit.

I hope they ban that brand from pubs and clubs, then the REAL, nice brands of absinthe that are appearing in bottleshops(liquor stores) can get their rightful place in the bars.
louched liver
Yeah, sure,
RickiDon'tLoseThat.
absinthist
QUOTE(Ricki @ Feb 27 2008, 08:57 PM) *

I hope they ban that brand from pubs and clubs, then the REAL, nice brands of absinthe that are appearing in bottleshops(liquor stores) can get their rightful place in the bars.

Or the worse brands will litter them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.