Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Daylight Savings Time is the devil's tool!
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
speedle
Apparently I don't know how to start a poll, so I may have to scrap this, but the question is still valid. DST is daylight STUPID time.

WSJ

I always new it!

Zenzero
one hour i can cope with, but one day??
sixela
DST is stupid when you have air-conditioners and use them instead of proper isolation, but the building philosophy (and general quality of building) in the US is stupid even without DST; the use of air conditioners is an unhappy corollary.

By the way, the real reason why I dislike DST is because it's harder for my son to do any astronomical observing before he has to go to sleep.
Zenzero
now that's another perfectly good reason to abrogate the whole damn system.
hartsmar
Swatch internet time

really nerdy, but hey.
traineraz
QUOTE(sixela @ Mar 3 2008, 04:36 AM) *

DST is stupid when you have air-conditioners and use them instead of proper isolation, but the building philosophy (and general quality of building) in the US is stupid even without DST; the use of air conditioners is an unhappy corollary.

A properly insulated house with central air is usually best managed by keeping the temperature relatively constant, with only a few degrees of variation.

The trouble, I expect, is a combination of older, poorly-built (pre-energy code) and poorly-designed houses in areas of the country that get very hot in the summer, and the use of inefficient window a/c units. As the article mentioned, inland portions of the US get pretty toasty in summer.
Kirk
A properly insulated house with central air is usually best managed by keeping the temperature relatively constant, with only a few degrees of variation.

I think it would be more correct to say that the in house environment is best managed by setting the temperature in relation to the outide temperature. A few degrees difference can make a big difference in consumption, depending on the ambient outside temperature. I keep my house much cooler in the winter than I do in the summer.
louched liver
I love DST.

I get up late, so
it works out all
nice.
bjacques
We get a couple of weeks reprieve here. I'm hoping the EU will just abolish it one day.
speedle
Hey, America finally saw the light about prohibition, so I still have hope for us here.
traineraz
QUOTE(Kirk @ Mar 10 2008, 06:07 AM) *

I think it would be more correct to say that the in house environment is best managed by setting the temperature in relation to the outide temperature. A few degrees difference can make a big difference in consumption, depending on the ambient outside temperature. I keep my house much cooler in the winter than I do in the summer.

That is a valid point, Kirk, but what I was referring to was avoiding significant temperature swings.

Allowing the house to heat up over 100F during the day and having the A/C kick on at 4 30 to knock it back to 75F by the time I get home uses more energy than only letting it rise to about 80F during the day and knocking it back to 75F by the time I get home. So, the extra hour of daylight during waking hours really isn't an issue from an A/C perspective when using properly-managed central air.

louched liver
Just sweat it an' forget it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.