Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie drinker with a question
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
CorkDork
Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself. I just tried absinthe (Lucid, specifically -- and I liked it, especially the mouthfeel) for the first time a couple of days ago, after tasting Absente pastis. I'm looking forward to trying more and varied absinthes, as I like to have a basis of comparison.

And, a question; what should my next absinthe be? I can get ahold of Kubler, obviously, as it's US-legal, and perhaps St. George (I've got a friend who lives ~1 mile from them) but should I do that, or try and get ahold of an European absinthe? What absinthes would y'all recommend for newbies?
Wilson
It all depends on the money you are willing to spend.
CorkDork
QUOTE(Wilson @ Mar 8 2008, 12:00 PM) *

It all depends on the money you are willing to spend.

Oh. I guess I should say that money isn't a whole lot of an object; I've got a couple of friends who are willing to split the cost of expensive bottles. And, for that matter, I work in the alcohol business; I suppose I could write it off as "unreimbursed research" on my taxes. Up to, say, $150-$180 US is fine, but probably no more (sigh. No pre-ban absinthe for me… yet.).
Shabba53
Lots of good options are open to you in that range. I'd recommend checking out the FV Review system and doing some research there. You should get a pretty good idea of what you think may suit your tastes.

Marc
I'd recommend PTFA.
Wilson
Take a look at the following. I would think that any of these would be a good starting point.

Duplais Balance Cheap but good verte.

La_Capricieuse Nice Blanche.

Jade Edouard This one bottle will use up your total budget.
Nephrite
I recommend trying a few Pontarlier absinthes before touching St. George which resembles a pastis more than it does a traditional absinthe. I've only had the pleasure of trying a Roquette, Doubs Mystique and Jade 1901. The Doubs is my favorite so far.
Shabba53
You think St. George resembles a pastis? I think it's entirely too spicy to even come close to that. With that said, I agree about the first part of your recommendation.
Nephrite
The only Pastis I've had is La Muse Verte which is my only point of reference for making such a comparison. I enjoy SG a lot more than La Muse. I suppose St. George is in an undefinable class as far as modern absinthes go. I'm looking forward to batch 2.
speedle
Perhaps it's the non-absinthe of absinthes.
Zman
How about SG being the anti-absinthe of absinthes?
Nephrite
Or a union between Absinthe and Pastis… heresy?

If St. Geroge had a stronger wormwood profile up front, the menthol/camphor notes removed and a little less anethole it could become a very nice and unique modern absinthe that I would enjoy as much if not more than the few Pontarlier absinthes I've had depending on my mood. If I hated the basil notes then maybe not… I love basil.
OCvertDe
Relatively speaking, the Kubler 53 is so much cheaper than the others that it doesn't really need to even be considered part of the absinthe budget. You can get a liter of it for about 50 bucks, and drink it like there's no tomorrow while stretching your good stuff. OH, and, welcome!
G&C
QUOTE(ajunkie @ Mar 9 2008, 06:02 AM) *

If St. Geroge had a stronger wormwood profile up front, the menthol/camphor notes removed

In other words, if it were absinthe…
absinthist
Then, what the fuck it is and how to classify it?
Tibro
Brandy with herbs.
louched liver
I prefer-
Weird xit.
Tibro
Your preferences are well known. But thanks for the reminder.
absinthist
Setting preferences aside, do we know there exists any product or group of products (brandy with herbs) for SG to fit in?

In fact, EU has defined brandy as a spirit drink: 1) produced from wine spirit distilled at less than 94,8% vol.,
2) matured for at least one year in oak receptacles or for at least six months in oak casks with a capacity of less than 1 000 litres,
3) having a maximum methanol content of 200 grams per hectolitre of 100% vol. alcohol.
(b) The minimum alcoholic strength by volume of brandy or Weinbrand shall be 36%.
and finally:
(d) Brandy or Weinbrand shall not be flavoured*. So, SG is automatically excluded.

*Addition of caramel for colouring or brandy bonificators for flavour-enhancing is allowed.

Source: European Parliament legislative resolution of 19 June 2007 on the proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on the definition, description, presentation and labelling of spirit drinks (COM(2005)0125 – C6-0440/2005 – 2005/0028(COD))
dakini_painter
The EU will regulate everything to death. Is there anyone in Europe that thinks the EU has been a good idea? (Other than the simplification of border crossings.)
absinthist
It was the worst idea ever to envenom the Continent, indeed. Interestingly, they are denying their own law, e.g. b) since many brandies I come across are bottled at 28%-32% vol, barely reaching the required 36%, which still is a joke. 3) is often exceeded as well.
speedle
you can get a liter of it for about 50 bucks, and drink it like there's no tomorrow

That's the ticket!
louched liver
EU a bad idea?

Ask Ireland.

Look at the exchange
rate v. $.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.