Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mr. Creepy
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Mr. Creepy's Art Hole
Artemis
I think I can trump Admin's spider infestations.

Last week I was busy moving out of my old haunted Victorian era house. In the attic, I discovered this guy and got his mugshot.

Actually, I'm happy to have his like around - he destroys many a mosquito. I don't kill spiders, either, because they also do a bangup job of insect control.

Absomphe
Artemis: My wife's sure glad you wouldn't harm a hair on his miniscule head.

She thinks he's adorable, and his ilk are among her favorite creatures.

Er, um, tell me my eyes aren't failing me.

That IS a bat, isn't it? w00t1.gif
Felis Catus
I am with Mrs Absomphe-Bats are cute(well,some are a tad creepy looking) and useful.

It is even possible to find instructions for building
a bat roost in your very own yard.

No Bugs M'Lady!(and Lord!)

Does anyone remember that shelf paper that contained insecticide?Great for killing bugs in
the cabinet and internal pests!(who needed
wormwood elixers?)
Artemis
He's a bat alright.

It's really cold up there - he remained in that spot for three days without moving - apparently they hibernate or something like it in winter. The camera lens was only an inch or so from his face when I took that picture - I had to stand on a step ladder.

When I get to my new place, I will definitely put up some bat houses.

Wormwood is an insect repellant - they don't want anything to do with it and won't go near it.
Felis Catus
Does wormwood work as a repellant to all insects?

Perhaps there is some use for what is sold on
absintheamerica,after all.

Another repellant,which works on ants,is ground
mace.

Has anyone yet made a liqueur from mace?That one
would be potent,indeed! wacko.gif dev.gif

looking-up.gif
verbal_kraze
Bats are very cute, but it really sucks having in your bedroom or living room flying around all crazy, thinking it went away, tearing up the whole house to make sure it flew out, and then the next night having the same thing happen again, untill you finally catch it is a sheet and let it go outside
Artemis
How about being awakened in the middle of the night by by several cats landing on your body (one on your face) because the flying mouse made a pass over the bed and they all leaped for it ...... bats drive my cats nuts. They think it's a cross between a bird and a mouse - the best possible thing to torture and kill.
le Gimp
He can have this.user posted image
WhyteKnight
QUOTE (Felis Catus @ Jan 11 2004, 11:17 PM)
Has anyone yet made a liqueur from mace?

Its "dredge up ancient topics and reply to them" time. Yay.
I do believe Strega contains some mace.
Zephyrus
Goddamm...I say goddamm, that's a nasty looking spider. Last time I saw one of those it was while stopped on the side of the road in Arkansas to water some plants. Actually it was six of them all on one web between two saplings over the drainage ditch. Must have been an ten foot span. The girl riding with us refused to get out of the car to look at them. Said the view was too much through the window. They looked big enough to catch sparrows.
Absomphe
QUOTE (WhyteKnight @ Jul 23 2004, 04:05 PM)
QUOTE (Felis Catus @ Jan 11 2004, 11:17 PM)
Has anyone yet made a liqueur from mace?

Its "dredge up ancient topics and reply to them" time. Yay.

Hey, Felis, wherever you are! bye1.gif
anticlimacus
Only garden spiders, but scary-looking as all-get-
out.

I was creek fishing with my dad as a kid and near-
ly walked into one of the monstrosities, web and
all. I can produce a hefty dose of heebie-jeebies
just thinking about it.
Artemis
Captured this morning

Ari
Since this thread has been resurrected.

Bats are awesome. I wish we had more around here.
Thats one creepy spider.
Tarantulas are awesome.

A creepy picture (at least to me). What I think are black widow babies on a fold up chair that had been closed for awhile. Thats probably 1/4th of all the babies we found. From last july.
Breson
Is that a fishing spider Artemis?
The Standard Deviant
Poisonous spiders? Makes me glad I live in England.
Breson
user posted image

This welcomed us to our new house.

I normally hate spiders but she was here before me.

We had a huge praying mantis (8-10 inches long) we saw the same day. My kids asked me what would happen if the praying mantis and spider fought. I said "well the praying mantis is big and a natural fighter and will probably kill the spider". The next day a long "cocoon" was on the web. I was wrong. Over the next 2 weeks the spider almost doubled in size from its huge meal.
Artemis
I'm pretty sure it's a tarantula. That is a closeup, but he's about the diameter of a tennis ball, and he's all folded up right there to boot. Some guys are working on my house; they captured it around my tomato plants this morning. I turned it loose this afternoon. Spiders control insects, as do bats, so I don't harm them unless they're black widows or brown recluse spiders, in which case I send them to Allah. Better them than me.

Same with snakes. I caught shit here last year from a snake lover for killing a water moccasin. He didn't seem to get it that every one I kill is one less than can bite me, my family or my dogs. Last night around dark my wife stepped on a water moccasin in the driveway, and it bit her, but just barely broke the skin - just swelled a little, like a bee sting. Damned thing just escaped into the brush before the dogs could play snap the whip with him. Fine way to start the eve of Friday the 13th, eh?
Breson
I found out that whole myth "A water moccasin can't bite you underwater" was bullshit a few years ago. I got bit in the foot while dragging a broken down boat out of a muddy coulé. People can give me as much shit as they like, I will kill every water moccasin I see, as well as copperheads, rattlers and any brand of poisonous spider.
jacal01
QUOTE (Breson @ May 13 2005, 03:28 PM)
My kids asked me what would happen if the praying mantis and spider fought.

I saw that movie!

But it didn't have English subtitles, so I think a lot of it was lost on me.
dr_ordinaire
QUOTE (Artemis @ May 13 2005, 11:35 AM)
Captured this morning

Thinking on evolutionary terms, why would a spider have hair?
AndrewT
QUOTE (Artemis @ May 13 2005, 05:04 PM)
Spiders control insects, as do bats, so I don't harm them unless they're black widows or brown recluse spiders, in which case I send them to Allah. Better them than me.

Had an oboe player at school here who got bitten on the neck by a brown recluse. Her whole face swelled up and she was out of commision for two weeks.
Head_prosthesis
QUOTE (dr_ordinaire @ May 13 2005, 09:00 PM)
Captured this morning

Same reason pussy has hair on it.
Nate
I thought that was why toothpicks were invented.
Artemis
Most tarantulas from North, South, and Central America have urticating (itch-causing) hairs on their abdomens. They can kick these in the air or in some cases press them into an "intruder."

Apparently, it's because they don't want to be touched.

http://www.tarantulas.com/answers.asp
Head_prosthesis
Well, her Chelicerae is saying no,
but her eight eyes are saying YES!
morgueann
QUOTE (dr_ordinaire @ May 14 2005, 05:00 AM)
Captured this morning

You got any hair on you, O?
morgueann
QUOTE (The Standard Deviant @ May 13 2005, 10:30 PM)
Poisonous spiders? Makes me glad I live in England.

Better watch out around them nanners, then.
audiowebguy
QUOTE (morgueann @ May 15 2005, 12:40 PM)
Better watch out around them nanners, then.

Word.

user posted image
Breson
QUOTE (Head_prosthesis @ May 13 2005, 11:47 PM)
QUOTE (dr_ordinaire @ May 13 2005, 09:00 PM)
Captured this morning

Same reason pussy has hair on it.

So we can watch them shave it off?
morgueann
Only if you pay more.

And not me, either.

You creep me out. Seriously.
morgueann
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Jan 11 2004, 06:19 AM)
That IS a bat, isn't it? w00t1.gif

No. It's a vampire.

I'm not kidding.

I've met that one.
The Standard Deviant
Ireland has no snakes. The UK only has the adder, and they are quite rare.
traineraz
A bite from the wandering spider can cause violent muscular spasms, vomiting and - in extreme cases - shock, seizures and cardiac and respiratory collapses.

Sounds like my date with Grim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.