Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Most Talented Female Musician
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Pages: 1, 2
Provenance
IPB Image
Shabba53

Click to view attachment
Marc
You're both wrong.

IPB Image
Tibro
The antidote:
IPB Image
Steyr850
Gabby La La on Fancy Tour

IPB Image

Donnie Darko
When you hear the guitar intro for Crazy on You, I think Nancy Wilson of Heart deserves honorable mention.

Bjork can play pretty much anything you put in front of her, even though she's primarily known for her voice.

And if you've ever seen Zeena Parkins play, you will have to surgically remove your jaw from the floor…
http://www.zeenaparkins.com/html/mainframe/bio.html
Head_prosthesis
I thought for sure this was
gonna be a thread about a REAL
working girl! Vanessa Carlton
Click to view attachment

But I'll take Gabby Lala. Anyone that
can rock the Petaluma Butter and Egg
Parade like Gabby is tits up in my book.

Head_prosthesis
And Diamanda Galas, I have special ear
plugs dedicated to enjoying her artistic stylings.
Rock it John Paul!
Wilson
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Mar 18 2008, 10:57 PM) *

Can you say Crack Whore boys and girls?
I knew you could.

EWWWWW! That thing just looks so nasty.
Every time I see a pic of her, I get the heebie jeebies.
Steyr850
Woodunt say overly talented,
But I do like her grit.

IPB Image
Marc
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Mar 19 2008, 04:46 PM) *

And if you've ever seen Zeena Parkins play, you will have to surgically remove your jaw from the floor…

Yep, she's taken part in some experimental pieces I was listening to some years ago, amongst others (Glenn Branca, John Zorn, Lorren MazzaCane connors, Alan Licht, Lydia Lunch, etc)
Shabba53
QUOTE(Wilson @ Mar 19 2008, 12:14 PM) *

Can you say Crack Whore boys and girls?
I knew you could.

You should see the rest of the pics.
Donnie Darko
Well, at least she's a talented crack whore. The only thing that distinguishes her from other junkie musicians who usually meet their demise too soon is that there are more pictures out there of her looking like a mess. It's weird how we revel in other people's self-destruction…. but maybe at least she can serve the purpose of being a big warning sign for other people.

What's really funny is that she's sucking on a glass pipe most nights and is alive and out buying groceries, and Heath Ledger, who appeared pretty together and healthy in public mixed a bunch of legal pills and is dead.
Absomphe
Isn't that ironic, don'tcha think?

PTFA, Alanis, there'll be a quiz tomorrow.
salsa
IPB Image
louched liver
I'm votin' Lucinda Williams.
moschops
Steyr850
QUOTE(louched liver @ Mar 20 2008, 07:08 AM) *

I'm votin' Lucinda Williams.
Did you recognize her? At first I didn't.

I also like Patti Griffin & KT Tunstall

IPB Image
IPB Image
louched liver
Yep, got the reccy on her.
Been a fan for years.

Patti Griffith's a tad too
mellow for me.

I just checked out some
KT, didn't catch me.
Any suggestions?
sixela
As a geek, who else can I recommend but:

IPB Image

Provenance
QUOTE(louched liver @ Mar 20 2008, 09:40 AM) *
Any suggestions?

IPB Image
louched liver
Thank you.

And VI,
I'd seen Laurie Anderson
a few times back in the
O Superman/Sharkey's Day
days. Then I kinda got over
her.

Never got over the dimples,
though.

And she used to wear a man's
wristwatch way up on her bicep
which somehow got me wound up.
louched liver
A'ight, Provnutz, I'm likin'
her voice, but not the covers
on that album.

What else by her?
Provenance
IPB Image
louched liver
Cool.
Bought it.

Downloading it right
the fuck now.
Shabba53
Eva Cassidy is great. Such a sad story too.
Provenance
For some background on how Chuck Brown and Eva Cassidy came to record together, see here.
Pataphysician
---
louched liver
Provo; Shabbo,
Yep, she's great
and what a tragically
quick snap off the
sphere.
Donnie Darko
For most unique and dynamic voice, I'd have to give the award to Liz Fraser of the Cocteau Twins. She isn't even singing coherent things most of the time, but she sure sounds like she means it.
Absomphe
Or there's Lisa Gerrard, if only anyone could figure out what the hell she's singing.
Provenance
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Mar 21 2008, 07:20 AM) *
She isn't even saying coherent things most of the time, but she sure sounds like she means it.
Like most politicians.
Donnie Darko
Ha. Except politicians have zero talents. That's why they're politicians.
louched liver
There talents are not ones
that are rewarded in the
straight up world.
Pataphysician
Liz Fraser also sang lead on some songs for Massive Attack's "Mezzanine". Yeah, she gets my vote. In fact, Massive Attack employs all the best female vocalists around: Shara Nelson, Nicolette Suwoton, Sinead O'Connor, Tracey Thorn.
Provenance
All very talented vocalists. But while there are many fine singers, there are far fewer women (or men) highly skilled at composing, arranging and conducting. Which is why my vote still goes to…
IPB Image
Marc
Agreed on Elizabeth Fraser but even more on Lisa Gerrard!

And if you know the Cranes, Alison Shaw's angelic voice gives me goose flesh every time I listen to Forever.
Marc
And Pro, meebe but I still don't fookin' know who she is.
Le Gimp
IPB Image
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Mar 21 2008, 01:59 PM) *

Agreed on Elizabeth Fraser but even more on Lisa Gerrard!

And if you know the Cranes, Alison Shaw's angelic voice gives me goose flesh every time I listen to Forever.

Ah yes. I've seen them in concert a few times. She has such a fantastic voice, simultaneously sounds like she's either 5 years old or a 1000 year old angel. I kind of lost interest in them for awhile, when they did that goofy almost-pop like album that sounded too much like Juliana Hatfield, I think it was called Population 4 or something, but then I got Future Songs on a whim and thought that album was fantastic, probably their best to date.

Edit… Glad you mentioned them, I didn't know their latest one, Particles & Waves, and just got that, and that one is really good too. Isn't that "astronauts" song in a TV commercial?
Steve
I think a certain Imp will agree:
louched liver
Oh, xit, don't get
him started…
Donnie Darko
Yeah, Kate Bush sounds too much like Tori Amos, he he he…
Donnie Darko
Oh, and while we're at it, Regina Spektor is friggin amazing. Really interesting instrumentation, and she usually avoids getting too ballady, which is good because ballads suck.

And my friend Katherine's band called Lumatic is actually really good. She has a really sexy voice.

And then there's Goldfrapp, but only their first album Felt Mountain, which I like every bit as much as Portishead's Dummy.
bob_chong
It's nice to see all you liberals marginalizing women as needing their own special, asterisked group.

What's next, "Most Talented Black Musician"?
Tibro
Or we could try to name the best black athlete. Butt that would be exercising redundancy.
louched liver
Chong the late chimer.

Stuff it.
louched liver
This repost from someone
who 1nce claimed to have
a student who's name was
pronounced
Shithead.
Provenance
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Mar 21 2008, 10:10 AM) *
I still don't fookin' know who she is.

IPB Image
Marc
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Mar 21 2008, 07:31 PM) *

Ah yes. I've seen them in concert a few times. She has such a fantastic voice, simultaneously sounds like she's either 5 years old or a 1000 year old angel.

Exactly how I would describe her voice. First time I saw the Cranes in the 90's they were doing Cure's first part, I was hipnotised, she was pregnant and was singing like a baby.

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Mar 21 2008, 07:31 PM) *

I kind of lost interest in them for awhile, when they did that goofy almost-pop like album that sounded too much like Juliana Hatfield, I think it was called Population 4 or something

Agreed, Population Four is their worst album.

I would also recommend "La Tragédie d'Oreste et Électre" where she reads Jean Paul Sartre's "Les Mouches".

Thanx Pro, now I know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.