Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pernod-Ricard buys Swedish V&S
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Cellar
hartsmar
So, this morning it was settled.

Pernod-Ricard buys "V&S" Vin & Sprit (wine and spirits) from the Sweidsh government.
In the deal they get the Absolut brand and the entire manufacturing plant and all that comes with it. Of course, there's a lot more in the deal than that, but that is the key part.

This means that Pernod-Ricard ends their distribution deal with Stolichnaya.

Apart from the vodka they get access to gins, wines, cognacs, aquavits etc.
So, I wast thinking - Absolut Absinthe would be the next step. Of course, it would suck - but still.

dakini_painter
The other side of it, they'll start cutting jobs to make things "more efficient".

Swedishsinthe?

Absomphe
QUOTE(hartsmar @ Mar 31 2008, 02:48 AM) *

Of course, it would suck - but still.

You misspelled 'butt still', which is probably what they use in the crafting of Absolut Vodka.

I can only imagine how yummy it would be as an absinthe base, if it were re-rectumfied. poop.gif
hartsmar
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Mar 31 2008, 05:19 AM) *

The other side of it, they'll start cutting jobs to make things "more efficient".

Actually it seems that they might do just the opposite.
There is a manufacturing plant in Sundsvall (I think) which the govt. had planned to close.
It is now quite possible that it will stay in production instead since Pernod-Ricard has stated that they wish to expand the manufacturing. They have also stated that they intend to keep manufacturing and administration in Sweden.

So, at least for now, it looks like things will work out pretty well for those involved.
Wilson
With absinthe hitting the shores in the US, I would think it smart to plan for some growth. They will need the added capacity if they want to compete.
Patlow
Trouble makers…

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080408/us_nm/mexico_absolut_dc
louched liver
…and pussies.
Absomphe
Some short sighted eejits just can't see the future until it's upon them.
louched liver
Apparently the future
is the past.

absinthist
Absolut still remains overrated and definitely not the brand it was back in 1998.
louched liver
Really?

Not bein' a wodka wuvver
I'd not notice.
What'd they change?
Wilson
They still sell a fuck-ton of it and appear to be making money hand over fist.
absinthist
They stopped developing the clear vodka brands (Absolut Blue, Absolut Red) for the unnecessary addition of too many flavoured vodkas, most of them a disastrous failure (recent addition-pear flavoured).

Absolut (together with Wyborowa export) should of course be credited for launching the very first flavoured vodkas in 1986-1988, but IMO they should have closed that range with Kurant and carry on their initial offerrings. But when profit is caught in the act, thinking is off.
hartsmar
QUOTE(louched liver @ Apr 8 2008, 09:20 AM) *

Really?

Not bein' a wodka wuvver
I'd not notice.
What'd they change?

Not a single thing. And this I know for a fact, working together with a former quality assurance manager of theirs.
hartsmar
QUOTE(absinthist @ Apr 8 2008, 09:57 AM) *

They stopped developing the clear vodka brands (Absolut Blue, Absolut Red) for the unnecessary addition of too many flavoured vodkas, most of them a disastrous failure (recent addition-pear flavoured).

Ummm... Last time I looked, the regular Absolut Vodka - the blue one - was still there. Or what are you referring to?
absinthist
Development of the existing brands, I have not said Blue or Red have disappeared. But that range could be extended instead of the flavoured ones range.
Tibro
Apparently someone thinks you can never have too many variations of flavorlessness from the same manufacturer. Just in case you object to the lack of flavor in one of their products you should be able to choose from other products lacking in flavor. Without limitations. Like flavor.
louched liver
That's clear.
absinthist
Still, the addition of 45% version would fill the hole of traditional strengths. The main success of Absolut brand is not spirit but water, it is one the reasons it is preferred in Europe over other brands, if their wheat is still not that bad-not the best, though.
hartsmar
QUOTE(absinthist @ Apr 8 2008, 10:45 AM) *

Development of the existing brands, I have not said Blue or Red have disappeared. But that range could be extended instead of the flavoured ones range.

Instead of changing them, they launched the Level Vodka. You don't change what already works just fine...
I haven't bothered trying the Level Vodka yet myself since I'm no fan of vodka, but from the people I know who have had it, it's apparently a lot smoother and better.
absinthist
I have heard about it, it has appeared here but is not so widely-available, moreover, is more expensive than Absolut or Svenska. However, it is marketed separately from Absolut and was launched mainly to be the competitor for Grey Goose.
hartsmar
Yes, I know - it is supposed to be a high level premium vodka, thus not surprisingly higher priced. If it's any good, I don't know.
Marc
And is that something we should care of?
It's only Vodka after all.
Water and…
Water.
Wilson
I am thinking we need more cheap vodka, not more expensive vodka.
hartsmar
Personally, I've had plenty of both cheap and expensive vodka during my late teen years, so I'm waaaay past vodka. But the few times I do drink it, I prefer a good quality drink, as with any liqour or wine. So no, I'd say that higher quality is what the goal should be. Cheap products in this category most often are just that... cheap...crap...
Wilson
But most folks I know who are drinking it, can't tell the difference. Besides, they mix it with sweet stuff and even if they drink the good quality, they still wake up feeling bad.
Provenance
IPB Image
Selmac
It's an OUTRAGE!

Seriously, what's the big deal?
Provenance
That people waste good money on vodka.
Wilson
Ha!
louched liver
I've bartended.

Premium vodka drinkers
are, by and large poseurs.

Yeah, the Grey Goose really
works w/the Diet Coke.
G&C
So does Everclear.
Steve
I have to admit, I really like the occasional very dry vodka martini with a few olives. I'm sorry if you are offended that I call it a "martini". And the Level vodka is very good, as far as vodkas go.

I like the Mexican Absolut ad. It's just showing the borders as they were in about 1848.
louched liver
Those who forget the past
are doomed to bitch about it.
Bruno Rygseck
Good, now Pernod-Ricard makes something drinkable with wormwood in it.

not.
Absomphe
Drop-par?

I think that prolly nails it.
hartsmar
Well, Bäska droppar is way better as a true bitter aquavit than any czech swill. Not that I drink it all that often though.
Hmmm... must bring some to Boveresse.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.