Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yes it did exist
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe History
Pages: 1, 2
thegreenimp
More later…
absinthist
And nowadays, we are left with that:

Provenance
Interesting.
pierreverte
pretty tough to apply for an absinthe/substitute 4 years into the US prohibition…
thegreenimp
That's 1934, not 1924.

They applied about six months after the FACA ordered them cease sales of their absinthe. (J&W sold actual absinthe for a very short time after repeal.)

"DRINKING, as a fine art for the American people, was buried under thirteen years of Prohibition's Folly. It will take many years for the return of sensible drinking and the outlawry of overindulgence. During Prohibition, the attitude of the people was not, "How delicious is the taste", but, "Does it kick like a Mule." This state of affairs has drifted over into the Repeal era, and is reflected in the thousands of atrocious and impossible "Fly by Night" Recipes, which inexperienced enthusiasts have foisted on the American Public. If the Old Time Bartender, pictured on the front of this booklet, and now many years gone, were to be asked to mix up some of the concoctions now masquerading under Recipes, he would turn over in his grave."

"The TRUTH about ABSINTHE
ABSINTHE originated in Algeria, and was introduced into Europe by the French soldiers. It is a distillation of sixteen herbs, roots, seeds and leaves, including the much discussed WORMWOOD.
Some people believe that Wormwood is a poison. It is no such thing, but is a valuable tonic and stimulant for the stomach--see Webster's dictionary--when taken in such quantities as it appears in Absinthe. It is harmful only when taken in overdoses as is the case with anything.
When genuine Absinthe was prohibited by Federal Law, L. E. JUNG & WULFF CO. developed a non-wormwood product known as MILKY WAY, as a substitute for Absinthe. From this product was omitted only the prohibited wormwood, and the formula slightly changed to replace the wormwood. MILKY WAY can not be distinguished, in taste, even by the greatest Absinthe connoisseurs, from genuine Absinthe. We recommend its use wherever Absinthe is called for.
MILKY WAY is a distilled product, superior to all present day American Absinthe substitutes."

speedle
Now we just need to find some in a barn or cellar somewhere. absintheglass-glow2.gif
thegreenimp
They also sold non-alcoholic versions during prohibition. Available at drugstores where one could also get "prescription alcohol"

Interesting line up from 1926.
thegreenimp
Ojen cocktail, Dec 1927
Grim
Muahahahah!
louched liver
Grim-
Inventor of the
pug based
Onan Cock-tail.
Jaded Prole
Doggon good!

louched liver
I'm sure the dog
sure wished he
was goned.
thegreenimp
Another one from the old daze on the West Coast.

absinthist
Not too Jade™d?
Donnie Darko
I love old advertising. It actually contained words designed to convince you of the quality of the product. Imagine that.
louched liver
Who the fuck
readz wordz
anymor(on)?
Steyr850
QUOTE(thegreenimp @ Apr 8 2008, 04:36 PM) *

Ojen cocktail, Dec 1927

I should try that.

Click to view attachment
absinthist
Prolly past its expiry date.
Steyr850
Gotz two.
Tried one.
Still tasty.
absinthist
Pics, Elf, more pics, please. You know how to make a breath-takin' pic, dontcha? abs-cheers.gif
louched liver
Lovely fuckin' bottle, that.
Marc
Is that hairs attached to the bottle neck?
Steyr850
IPB Image
IPB Image

Tassel

IPB Image
IPB Image

Back

IPB Image
Wilson
So they scalped someone?
louched liver
Nice fuckin' lookin'
bottle.

How often do you
shampoo the tassel?
Absomphe
Looks like "Honey, I Shrunk Couusin Itt".

Great bottle, otherwise, though.
louched liver
It's a lock of
Wittels' scalp.
Steyr850
Couldn't wash.
Fallin' out like
pubes.
Steyr850
My other purty 1

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Jaded Prole
Yer makin' me sweat.
Marc
Great condition but unfortunately undrinkable.
Steyr850
I think you told me that once before.

Alas, she's too
purty to pop.
Jaded Prole
They're NEVER too purty to pop!
Steyr850
Got 2 trees too.

IPB Image
absinthist
Wood alcohol is bad, so they say.
louched liver
Sumpin' wrong w/turpenes
Vinny Van lover?
Provenance
You misspelled tansy.
Steve
QUOTE(Steyr850 @ Apr 9 2008, 12:32 PM) *

Got 2 trees too.

IPB Image

You should see the bottle Head has!
Steyr850
How tall?
Steve
It's not the size so much… I'll see if I have a pic.
Steyr850
The pic I posted is not of my bottles.
I'll try and post some real onez.

Question is, is it good? I've not opened either.
Marc
The Liqueur de Sapin is a very sweet liquor made from fir bourgeons.

If your bottle is any old, I guess it's undrinkable, too low alcohol content to preserve it (around 30°).
absinthist
QUOTE(Provenance @ Apr 9 2008, 02:49 PM) *

You misspelled tansy.

Tansy is stable AFAIK.
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Apr 9 2008, 10:05 PM) *

If your bottle is any old, I guess it's undrinkable, too low alcohol content to preserve it (around 30°).

Thass what I meant=low alcohol content.
Absomphe
QUOTE(absinthist @ Apr 10 2008, 02:14 AM) *

Tansy is stable AFAIK.

Then keep ingesting it, my friend, and hope shall spring internal, since it is said you are what you drink. abs-cheers.gif
absinthist
abs-cheers.gif Surely, I will, next harvest is slowly coming and this year I'm planning to plant it finally.
thegreenimp
thegreenimp
…™
thegreenimp
After a bit of research, I know this is definitely not pre-ban.

IPB Image
Head_prosthesis
I was just fondling that bottle of sapin today.
Click to view attachment
EdouardPerneau
QUOTE(Steyr850 @ Apr 9 2008, 02:32 PM) *

Got 2 trees too.

IPB Image

Cousin florentin WAS Guy so why don't you purschase a new fir booze to put in it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.