Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HI, everybody!
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
Pages: 1, 2, 3
PolyurethaneCow
"Hi, dr. Nick…"

So glad to have found this site and forum. I have to admit I've never tried absinthe, but am looking forward to being able to shell out obscene amounts of $$ for my first bottle.

I think I'll be a big fan, as I am the guy who likes anise or licorice flavors, I love intricatley spiced food and drink, very hoppy beer and deeply flavored oakey wines.

I want to make sure that I do this right, and thanks to the wealth of information on this site, I think I have an idea of what to look for and what to steer clear of as a newbie. So I'm thinking of trying first with a bottle of Lucid. Not because it is the best out there, but because it is the most readily available. As long as it's representative of what an absinthe should taste like. It is, right? I see that Sam's wine carries it. I live in Central Illinois and am up in the Chicago area a couple of times per month, so I think I should be able to pick it up without having to ship it. Any other ideas y'all can give me would be very welcome.

All in all, I'm very excited to be able to "join the club" so to speak and am looking forward to trying something that very few people in the past century have been able to enjoy. Makes one feel a little special, no?

Thanks, all! abs-cheers.gif
Poke Salad Papa
Howdy and welcome ,tell me perhaps you have a padded cell? wacko.gif
Wilson
He has yet to mention picking shrooms out of cow shit. However, I sense a feeding frenzy coming on.

Personally, I prefer Kubler to Lucid.
louched liver
Kuble me clear as well.

Lucid is, er, um, crap.

You wanna taste absinthe,
go the way that many
have pointed and buy
some Razzouk arak.
MrsAbsomphe
QUOTE(louched liver @ Apr 8 2008, 04:47 PM) *
…buy some Razzouk arak.

Excellent advice!

It's one-fifth less tasty than absinthe for one-fifth the price.

Elliot prefers Ksarak.

Enjoy!

---Tish looking-up.gif
G&C
I agree.
Absomphe
What they said!

Welcome. abs-cheers.gif

Oh, and try not to take offense at most of the Iowa thread.

We really like your kine-d.
PolyurethaneCow
Oh, don't worry, I don't take offense, especially at anything in an Iowa thread wink.gif

See, this is why i wanted to ask - the buyers guide gives Lucid a pretty solid 8ish out of 10 and looks like a nice "training wheels" type of absinthe, but you guys say its not so good.

So, I can't find anything on the search page about the Razzouk Arak. You guys having me on?
Kirk
As far as the Arak goes, I prefer the Ksarak, it's not absinthe but most people wouldn't know the difference, unless they know absinthe.
Kubler is available here (in US stores) Lucid and Kubler are both competitive with each other, some prefer the Kubler, others the Lucid, neither are the "best", but they are absinthe.
louched liver
Good arak tastes
better than the style
of absinthe Kubler is.
absinthist
And is even stronger: Fakra: 55%, Al Chalal: 60%.
Jaded Prole
I don't think the Lucid is altogether bad -- just low mediocre. Arak and Raki are very good and better than some absinthes.
rjordan
PCow, just order some absinthe online like most everybody else did their first time. You said you don't mind shelling out obscene amounts of $$ for your first bottle so go back to the buyers guide and read through it carefully. Everybody has their own tastes and that being said, Lucid and Kubler are not that bad, but there are betterer bottles out there to be had. Pick up a Swiss or French style that is closer to "real" absinthe (whatever that is) and don't worry about the other stuff yet. There is time to try it all. Don't go for a Lucid or Kubler right off the bat just because they are here in the States. The other stuff is available and better. Trust me, since about '03 only 4 or 5 bottles have been confiscated by Customs so you don't really have to worry about that, because even if it happens most shippers will ship another bottle or reimburse you. Jeez, out of all the stuff out there now you wanted to go with a Lucid first. Come on man.

And Arak is not listed in any guides (although if you put it in the search box it should bring up something, it has been talked about extensively here) on this site because it isn't absinthe. You have to go to an Arak website to see what that is all about. It isn't bad stuff and pretty cheap.

Anyway, welcome and enjoy.

gun thug.gif
louched liver
Been gettin' pent up?
Steyr850
I've had Razzouk and El Massaya, and although the Razzouk is more readily available and cheaper, I like the edge on the Massaya betterer.

Anyways.
louched liver
I'll be watchin'.

Not a big selection
'round the Big Bend
here.
Steyr850
I've got about a half bottle I've had for 2 years.

Want a nip?
louched liver
Thanks, but
lemme check
a couple
Alphabet Booze Centers
first to save ya
the trouble.
Marc
Arak is hard to get here, I'll try to find an online store that sells those.
Provenance
If a local store ever stocks el Rif Red, I'll give it a try. 140 proof with a grape-based imported from France.
Marc
$22.99 a half-bottle here but again I can't find it in France.

IPB Image
Provenance
A half-bottle solves only half the problem.
Steyr850
QUOTE(louched liver @ Apr 9 2008, 09:14 AM) *

Thanks, but
lemme check…
Let me know, it's jus been sittin'.
Might give it a crack this evenin'.
louched liver
I may sniff dat
el Rif.
Provenance
Rif Sniffer.
louched liver
Rim jobber.
Jaded Prole
for the riff-raff
Steyr850
Throbber slobber
Wilson
Another thread professionally hi-jacked. Don't try this at home. These folks are highly trained professionals.
Steyr850
There goes
the turnip truck.
absinthist
'nother Rififi.
Tibro
TitsWit lets rip a winner riff. I admit it.
OCvertDe
Welcome! Lucid and Kubler are both excellent "training wheels absinthes" as you put it. Most of the old farts in here are rather disdainful of anything that isn't top shelf, especially if there's been any hype about it. Don't let the drink snobs put you off. If you aren't especially inconvenienced to purchase Lucid, it's worth picking up and will definitely give you a good idea what a good absinthe is about… because what you get for spending $100 more for a bottle than the Lucid will cost is, well, not much. Better? Yes. Justifiably? Depends. Just how much expendable income do you have for this experience? If money isn't an option, by all means head over to Liqueurs de France, and don't get anything that scores under 87 or so in our BG. If blowing $400 on three bottles of something you haven't tried is going to hurt you a little, get a bottle of $60 Lucid and fuck the haters.
Provenance
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Apr 9 2008, 01:35 PM) *
Welcome! Lucid and Kubler are both shitty "training wheels absinthes" as you put it. Most of the experienced absinthe drinkers in here are rather disdainful of anything that sucks ass, especially when it's been hyped to the green moon.
OCvertDe
I rest my case.
absinthist
So, it has been decided: buy Arak.
Provenance
Agreed.

I like this PUC. Three pages of welcome without a single whine or complaint. He's OK.
OCvertDe
Notice it was two of the last three pages without a single appearance.

Prolly just a coincidence.
louched liver
If they thought they had to wade through this:

QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Apr 9 2008, 05:35 PM) *
Welcome! Lucid and Kubler are both excellent "training wheels absinthes" as you put it. Most of the old farts in here are rather disdainful of anything that isn't top shelf, especially if there's been any hype about it. Don't let the drink snobs put you off. If you aren't especially inconvenienced to purchase Lucid, it's worth picking up and will definitely give you a good idea what a good absinthe is about… because what you get for spending $100 more for a bottle than the Lucid will cost is, well, not much. Better? Yes. Justifiably? Depends. Just how much expendable income do you have for this experience? If money isn't an option, by all means head over to Liqueurs de France, and don't get anything that scores under 87 or so in our BG. If blowing $400 on three bottles of something you haven't tried is going to hurt you a little, get a bottle of $60 Lucid and fuck the haters.

I can see why.
Absomphe
Damn, I just waded through it again, and it wasn't any less painful.

Okay, I lied…actually I only glanced at snippets of it both times, but it was still painful.
louched liver
To me it just
looked like a
block of letters.
Poke Salad Papa
Lucid is all most can afford now,if that makes me a cheap absinthe snob
then so be it. Besides I don't know any better and am broke. Just what is wrong with Lucid any how, is it because it don't cost 400.00 to get it here or what. After four or six glasses it don't matter what the name is jc on crutches what difference does it make. I'm such a dumbass it don't make no difference pour it I'll drink it.
Steyr850
Drink plenty-O-water
before goin' to bed, Jer.
Nephrite
And 7 grams of Acetyl L-Carnitine. That's 14 500 mg capsules.
absinthist
Why are you advising to ruin his fun?
Jaded Prole
pour it I'll drink it.

A practical philosophy,

a lifestyle choice, and lets face it, Lucid is a fine accompaniment to a plate of poke salad and possum stew!
Steyr850
QUOTE(absinthist @ Apr 10 2008, 03:05 AM) *

Why are you advising to ruin his fun?
So we don't need
a Speak & Spell to
interpret his posts.
PolyurethaneCow
Hey thanks for all the opinions, everyone.

They're pretty .. um…. Wide-ranging. So Lucid is either not too bad, or complete crap.

Let me put it this way - if you were going to recommend something that is decent and at least representative, without having to sell a kidney to buy it, what would it be if not Lucid or Kubler?

One if the Jades, like Suisse Verte? (except that's still kinda pricey for a first shot - at current exchange rates, $160 to get it to the door YIKES!)

Got to say that I am surprised at the number of responses - I do appreciate all of the help - really!

(BTW - I was travelling and unable to check the thread for a couple of days…)
Poke Salad Papa
QUOTE(Jaded Prol @ Apr 10 2008, 02:07 PM) *

pour it I'll drink it.

A practical philosophy,

a lifestyle choice, and lets face it, Lucid is a fine accompaniment to a plate of poke salad and possum stew!

Now there is a man who likes lifes simple pleasures. Ya might want to try it with hot and spicey guacamole dipped with corn chips or tater chips will work too. Think about it, drinking green and eating green don't get no better than that. Now don't ya go jumpin on me or I will send liver to take care o business. w00t2.gif
OCvertDe
QUOTE(PolyurethaneCow @ Apr 10 2008, 05:51 PM) *

They're pretty .. um…. Wide-ranging. So Lucid is either not too bad, or complete crap.

Lucid is only complete crap to those who think anything that isn't the very best is complete crap. Some people just have no gray area, so try to review the reviewers and take the more adamant statements with a grain of salt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.