Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UE sappy
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Mephistopheles
Just recieved my first bottle of UE sapin, I don't care for it compared to the original or blanche. I get this numb feeling on the tongue after the first glass.
Dpanice
Save it. I am just finishing my first "three of the best" from LDF, and I felt that way about the Sapin, too. So when I ordered again, I stuck with the regular and the blanche; now that the Sapin's just about gone, though, I find myself enjoying it much more...I guess I'll have to pick up another bottle with my next order...

Daniel
crosby
Like any distilled absinthe, it will improve with age. When the LdF's blanche came out, I wasn't sure about it. I let the bottles sit for a month and it seemed smoother.
Wolfgang
That's a good advice.What does improve Emile *blanche* a lot is to put it in a decanter for a day in full sun, then let it stand in the freezer for a night. Next step is to put it back in the bottle and forget it for a few months. That's about what some people call the "gassification" on another forum (because the method have been first posted by someone called gasspectro).

For the colored emiles (or any naturally colored products), skip the sun exposition because it would ruin the coloration.
TaLi
So how would you describe the flavor differences between the 3, I have the original 68, and am planning on ordering the "blanche" and "sapin" but have read varying posts on whether people think it is a "hit" or "shit" but not so much as to describe exactly what they did or did not like about the flavor. dry.gif
Kallisti
sapin (which means "pine") has very very slight note of pine to it. it is different, but subtle, and I for one really like it. some people aren't so favorable of it, as you can see.

the blanche, is very crisp and clean, with a simpler overall balance of flavors than the emile 68. I also like this one alot.

Absomphe
I have tried all three Emiles and Sapin( after a few tries is my favorite. Yes there is a bit of numbness on the tongue, but I consider this bit of a bite to add character. My one tiny complaint with samples of Jade I was fortunate enough to try, and even with the best of the La Bleus is that they are almost TOO PERFECT! Surely noone in the fin de siecle era drank absinthe with such a critiquing and dare I say wussy palate. I believe that a little bit of roughness in the finish validates an otherwise wellmade absinthe. That being said I kinda wish the emile products had that wonderful room filling nose that the best La Blues have, as well as that slightly thicker louche. Oh well I've read that the La Bleus are a work in progress...perhaps in time....
Mephistopheles
I'll give that a shot Wolfgang (though I am quite fond of it right from the box). Thanks for the info.
Donnie Darko
I assumed "gassification" mainly aided in removing empyreuma/tails flavour. I detect neither in Emile Blanche out of the bottle. I wonder what exactly "gassification" does technically to the absinthe which improves the flavour?

Could you be a bit more specific, Wolfgang, about the improvements you detected that would not have come about just by ageing?
Larspeart
Hi all! New to the board, but not super new to absinthe.

I like the Sapin when it is not compared with the other two. As a stand-alone, it has a great taste to it, and I find the tongue-numbness actually kind of pleasant. The pineyness is actually a little weaker then I would like from an absinthe that is named 'pine', but there is enough to give it a very nice pale and floral spiceness to it.

It DEFINATELY took longer to like then the other two though. Blanche was a hit with me and my friends from the very first glass, and regular UE was also a quick on to enjoy. Sapin took some time for me, and apparently, I am not alone.

For those that have not yet tried it, or who have only had a glass or two, stick with it. When you buy a 'Three of the Best' deal, and you are running out of the other two, really give Sapin a chance. I found that after 3-4 glasses over 2 nights, I really liked it a lot.

Anyway, just one new posters comments. Glad to have found you guys!
Marc Chevalier

Gotta ask, Lars ... is that OJ Simpson on your avatar?

And are you related to ... er ... Larsbogart?
Larspeart
hehe, well, the short answers would be:

1. No

and

2. No

The slightly longer answers are:

1. I have no idea. i was just one of the pre-made avatars this site has. it looked cool, so I used it.

and. . .

2. No, and from what I have heard on ther absinthe boards, that is a very good thing. Apparently, this larsbogart guy kinda, well, was a jerk? At least, that I what I keep hearing.

No, my name's entomology is derived from my two favorite drummers names, sandwiched together; Lars Ulrich (no, I don't like his politics either, lol), and Neil Peart.

Kallisti
1. Yes. That is OJ. Hahaaa! Thank you to Zeldman.com's "Steal these Icons!" for the pop squares.

mrsp.gif who dat?
celticgent
isn't that Jane Fonda? If that was a rhetorical question, I'm sorry for being a moron.
Kallisti
Feh!

It's Mrs. Peel.

Who are you people? shock.gif
TaLi
QUOTE (kallisti @ Oct 2 2003, 12:00 PM)
Feh!

It's Mrs. Peel.

heh

who? blink.gif

~awaiting shock, disbelief, and a strearn lesson smile.gif
Rimbaud
From the Avengers?
Kallisti
*Throws arms up into the air*

Indeed.

user posted image

Mrs. Emma Peel played by the (now) Dame Diana Rigg.

user posted image

And, my favorite... Emma as the Queen of Sin

user posted image
BlackJack
Mmmm...Emma Peel...she can put on a catsuit and kung-fu my ass any day...
Bumpferret
Thank you Kallisti! You brightened up my Lasala (I'm getting lowish)
Lord Stanley
She even got to marry James Bond. Also got shot in the head on the way to the honeymoon but still pretty cool. Tombstone.gif
celticgent
QUOTE (kallisti @ Oct 2 2003, 12:00 PM)
Feh!

It's Mrs. Peel.

sorry dear. perhaps it was the small size of the icon that made it look like jane fonda. perhaps it was the small size of my brain that made it apparent that i'm an idiot.
Kallisti
Feh! Feigned indignation indeed.

That is what I loved about Zeldman's icons.... he has hundreds and I've had them on my computer for 7 years, I'm *still* just figuring out who some of them are.

ldypen.gif Like Lady Penelope here... of course, I hadn't seen the show since I was 6 until recently.
Marc Chevalier

Lady Penelope, hmmm ... would she happen to be from "Dark Shadows"?
Kallisti
Pimp smack!

user posted image

http://www.fab1.co.nz/characters/lady%20penelope.htm
Absomphe
Thanks Kallisti...you brightened up my Sapin afternoon with those Emms Peel Ccheesecake shots...oh memories of my early youth! Yes I'm that goddamned old...WHATOFIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:>)
Lord Stanley
I'm hoping that the regulars on this Forum are right. I just bit the bullet and forked over $220 to LdF for the UE 68, Sapin and la Blanche because everybody says they're the best.

I do find it strange that the Buyer's Guide only includes a review of the 68 despite all the raves that the other 2 versions receive in the Forum. Do the trio taste similar enough that the single review covers them all?

Another question. Being a relative newcomer to the world of absinthe, I was hoping that somebody could clear up the "anise factor" for me. I notice that LdF makes it clear that they use green anise and not star anise in their products. I've also noticed several references to star anise added to some cheaper absinthes to create a heavy louche. What's the difference between the star and green anises? Is the star variety less expensive and inferior to the green? Please enlighten me. unsure.gif
Kallisti
The missing Blanche/Sapin reviews are my fault and are on my to-do list. I know I had some good detailed reviews around somewhere. Failing finding those I'll do them myself. They're both very fine, I think and hope you'll be happy with them!

Green Anise (also known as Aniseed or Anise seeds) and Star Anise are two different animals altogether. Star Anise is Asian and wasn't heavily used historically, but it has a much higher anethol content than aniseed, a little goes a long way. And it is aniseed/star anise that lends the louche. A very heavy louche is sometimes indicative of the use of star anise, as well as an over powering anise flavor, and numbness.

It is much easier to get a *delicate* anise flavor/perfume using Green Anise. Star Anise is more aggressive.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Oct 5 2003, 07:56 PM)
Is the star variety less expensive and inferior to the green? Please enlighten me. unsure.gif

This was mentioned recently either on this forum or the other one, but a reason mentioned by Pernot for not using Star Anise was the belief that the husks around the Star Anise seeds created methanol & other toxins when distilled.

There's no scientific basis for this I'm aware of, but it apparently is a belief held by some distillers.

In truth it appears very conservative use of Star Anise is fine.
Icarus
Star Anisuser posted image

Green Anis user posted image
Donnie Darko
How come your green anise looks like Florence Fennel?
Lord Stanley
Thanks for the info. I actually searched the Old Forum prior to asking the question and got over 900 results for star anise.

Interestingly, the results included a thread on Star Wars Episode II and a post including the word organise.

I narrowed down the search by putting star anise in quotes but still couldn't find a link to answer my question. Pictures comparing the star anise to green anise were more than I expected. The star anise looks cooler even if the green anise is more desirable in the absinthe recipe.

DarthVader2.gif
Zman
It looks like fennel, because it is fennel.
Icarus
That'll teach me to post a link without actually LOOKING at the picture.

Jeebus, what an idiot I am.

I changed the pic. Everyone happy now?
Lord Stanley
Damn, that was fast.

LdF got their Three of the Best package to my doorstep less than 72 hours from the time the order was placed.

It's UE time....woohoo!
justabob
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Oct 8 2003, 02:39 PM)
Damn, that was fast.

LdF got their Three of the Best package to my doorstep in Michigan less than 72 hours from the time the order was placed.

It's UE time....woohoo!

We of course expect a louche by louche review, and hey man try to make it last through the weekend . . .
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (justabob @ Oct 8 2003, 09:49 PM)
We of course expect a louche by louche review, and hey man try to make it last through the weekend . . .

I have to say that my first reaction to the Un Emile 68 was surprise.

Everything seemed normal upon opening the bottle as the predominant scent was that of anise. As reported often on the Forum, the louche was pearly and translucent compared to the milky opacity of the star anise enriched oil mixes.

The taste is what really caught me off guard. Instead of the strong anise flavour of the Spanish brands or Pernod 68, the UE 68 tasted.....well, different. It was different enough that I wasn't sure I really liked it initially because it seemed more bitter than what I expected. After a few sips, it occurred to me that the slight bitterness was the flavour of wormwood and other herbal contents that are masked by the overwhelming anise of many other absinthes. The unsweetened UE 68 actually goes down very smoothly without the licorice aftertaste and numbing sensation at the back of the mouth. Tasting the Emile really answered my question earlier in this thread about the star and green anises.

I tried the Sapin tonight and it was very similar to the 68. Equally smooth and drinkable but a little spicier. The La Blanche is next in line. Saving the best for last from what I've read.

At present, I've got 5 bottles on hand... the 3 Emiles, the NS 70 that I'll certainly have from time to time and a bottle of P68 that may not get finished for a long time. The hype is well deserved. LdF sells a great product and delivers in record time. biggrin.gif
Rimbaud
Punish that liver, Don Corleone!
Lord Stanley
At least I'm not drinking Hill's. No point in punishing the taste buds and digestive tract as well.
Rimbaud
Dats da ticket!
Lord Stanley
Nothing new.

I was just having a glass of Sapin and felt like letting everyone know. I'm sure that you're all happy you took the time to read this post.

Thanks for your interest.
G'nite

wink.gif
celticgent
the first time i had sapin was in an eye-opener at the mayor's crib. we ran out of la fee, so he just grabbed the sappy.

so, i still didn't know what it really tasted like.

i had so many hg's at the fest that i thought they might ruin me taste buds on the sapin.

nope.

when i tried it a couple days later (sans coffee sleepy.gif), i loved it.
Lord Stanley
I've noticed the LdF website has listed the new UE 68 Gentiane for pre-order, shipping later this month. I'm hoping that it will be available for multiple bottle discounts. It would be nice to get a deal on a couple bottles of Gentiane along with 1 or 2 Sapins.

The only discounted packages available right now are the 68, LB and Sapin 3-pack and the 3 or 4 packs of a single type. Hopefully, they'll let buyers mix and match their favourites and still get a discount.

Does anybody know LdF's policies about multiple bottle discounts not specifically listed on their website?
Zouave
Does anybody know LdF's policies about multiple bottle discounts not specifically listed on their website?

Why don't you just send them an e-mail and get it directly from LdF? They're very responsive. The other thing you can do is experiment with the shopping cart on their website to see what the per bottle cost is when ordering more than one.
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Zouave @ Nov 11 2003, 02:08 AM)

Why don't you just send them an e-mail and get it directly from LdF? They're very responsive. The other thing you can do is experiment with the shopping cart on their website to see what the per bottle cost is when ordering more than one.

I already tried both of those tactics. Placing 3 or 4 bottles in the cart did not produce any discounted prices. I also sent them the following e-mail:

"I recently ordered your Three of the Best package and am very impressed with the quality of each Un Emile absinthe. I am looking forward to trying your new Un Emile 68 Gentiane. I am wondering if your Party Four offer would apply to an order of four bottles not all of the same type, for example 2 Sapins and 2 Gentianes. Of course, I'm not even sure that the discount prices will even apply to the new Gentiane. Any information to clear up these questions would be appreciated. I hope to be doing business with you again soon. Thank you."

The reply:

"Hi

The Gentiane will be included as part of the discount offers."

Not too informative in my opinion. Apparently, the new absinthe will be available at a multiple bottle price but I'm not sure how the order will need to be configured to get the discount. Maybe they haven't decided how to arrange the special offers yet. I'll just have to keep checking, I guess.
Lord Stanley
The LdF folks apparently pay attention to this message board. I got another e-mail within a few hours of my last post.

"sorry you didn't get a full response to your question. first of all, i am very glad you like our absinthe and
we are also really looking forward to getting people's opinion about our new absinthes. the gentiane will be available for delivery most likely in about 2 weeks. we certainly will have a special on it, (three of the same, party of four, etc.) but have not yet finalized everything on how it will be set up, though there have been some pre-orders for single bottles. i can contact you when it is available (but if you read the feeverte forum regularly, you'll know!)
again, thanks for purchasing our absinthe. we really do appreciate your interest and patronage, but sometimes get caught up in the rush!"

Great customer service there clearing up my concern so quickly. I assumed that the initial reply was so brief because they hadn't decided how to set up their multiple bottle sales for the new product yet. The more thorough answer was appreciated nonetheless.
Zouave
Excellent.. That's more typical of LdF.
Lord Stanley
Bump. Bump. Bump.

Only because I'm having a glass of Sapin right now and it's great.
Still my favourite commercial absinthe.
hartsmar
And it's my number two... Verte de Fougerolles still rock at top spot.
Absomphe
I'll second that assessment!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.