Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best "la bleue"
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
EdouardPerneau
Which is the best "la bleue" according to you ?
Steve
I like La P'tite best.
Absomphe
Since I ran out of censored2.gif, ages ago, I only drink vertes.
Marc
Clandestine "alcool de vin".
absinthist
Helfrich blanche because it is so atypical of the genre.
Marc
And more importantly it's not a "bleue".
absinthist
Butt betterer than majority of them.
EdouardPerneau
Is there bootleg (aka evill.gif) la bleue that is better than the CO stuff ?
Marc
And do you really think someone will answer that question and tell you "yes Mr X is making a very good La Bleue HG"?
EdouardPerneau
I want to know if an HG la bleue could be better than a CO la bleue.
absinthist
The most diplomatic answer could be that any HG la bleue could be as better than CO la bleue just as CO la bleue could be better than HG la bleue.
EdouardPerneau
agree
Jaded Prole
All authentic La Bleue was HG up until very recently.
absinthist
Till March 1st, 2005.
Steyr850
QUOTE(EdouardPerneau @ Apr 15 2008, 04:06 AM) *

I want to know if an HG la bleue could be better than a CO la bleue.
Is it really necessary to do this again?
EdouardPerneau
as you wish
Steyr850
There is much reading about the "Versus".
It will continue to volley.

Butt answer this question.
Who can grille a better steak?
Del Frisco's or Backyard Joe
with sum Kingsford.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Apr 14 2008, 05:57 PM) *

Since I ran out of censored2.gif, ages ago, I only drink vertes.

I thought that would have already answered your umpteenth question, E.P.
G&C
Some people are Canadian.
Absomphe
And some are Quebec-wha?
Provenance
Why isn't anyone willing to let EdPew know that, yes, home made "Suisse La Bleues" made by real, genuine authentic Switzerlanders are the holy grail of absinthe and they can be safely be purchased in the United States. Mr. Pew may the purchase and consumption of these rare elixers to be a learning experience.
salsa
Agreed w/Spoon re: La P'tite-- impressed every time I get it.

Amazed it's still 3 for 2 at LdF, or at least it says so-- it won't let me put a third bottle in the cart… huh…
Steve
Yep, I ordered 3 bottles last week (plus 3 bottles of Doubs). Sweet deal.
Steve
And I have to credit Salsa for making me remember how much I liked La P'tite. After tasting so many la bleues at Boveresse, I was out of the "la bleue" mood for a long time. When Salsa mentioned how under-appreciated he felt la P'tite is, it brought back memories of aperos at the fondue shack at Creux du Van, so I tasted it again and it still tasted great to me.
Donnie Darko
Up until La Bleue became commercially available, I'm not aware of it being anything other than Swiss blanche HG. There were plenty of blanche brands before the ban, but I'm not aware of any referred to as La Bleue. Most Swiss commercial brands from before the ban (at least the ones I know of) were Vertes.
Provenance
Because an absinthe's first duty is to be green.
EdouardPerneau
Sorry Stompy frusty.gif maybe I wasn't drunk enough to understand …
Butt there is evill.gif la bleue on ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.ch/ABSINTHE-LA-BLUE-produc…1QQcmdZViewItem
speedle
Somebody straighten me out if I've got this ass-backwards, but wasn't the only reason there ever were blanches in Switzerland to avoid the cops, per se?
Marc
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Apr 15 2008, 09:04 PM) *

I'm not aware of it being anything other than Swiss blanche HG. There were plenty of blanche brands before the ban, but I'm not aware of any referred to as La Bleue.

Funny you're mentioning that point because from what Luc found, it appears that the term "La Bleue" was already used in France before the Swiss HG era :
"La France est un pays perpétuellement divisé par toutes sortes de querelles politiques et religieuses, mais il est une heure où les français de toutes les opinions se rencontrent dans la plus impressionnante unanimité, c'est l'heure de la Bleue, qui s'appelait précédemment la Verte". Charles Torquet in Je Sais Tout, 1907.
Could be translated by :
"France is a country eternally divided by all kind of political and religious quarrels, but there is a time where the french from all horizons meet together in the most impressive unanimity, this is the la Bleue time, that was called la Verte before"

Another one :
"Mais le soir après ton boulot, tu préfères aller chez l'bistro, sucer la bleue et godailler". Jehan Rictus in Le Coeur Populaire, 1914.

Gertz
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Apr 15 2008, 10:04 PM) *

Up until La Bleue became commercially available, I'm not aware of it being anything other than Swiss blanche HG. There were plenty of blanche brands before the ban, but I'm not aware of any referred to as La Bleue.

Found this drawing from 1903 in one of MCD's books. It shows that the term 'bleue' was indeed in use before the ban - but it seems to suggest that it was a nickname for absinthe in general and thus didn't necessarily refer to a blanche.
Click to view attachment
Edit: Posting simultaneously with Mthuilli. Different source, same point, it seems.
Conte d'Ugenta
I vote for La P'tite too…
Marc
QUOTE(EdouardPerneau @ Apr 15 2008, 10:21 PM) *

Ha! He has been trying to sell his bottles at astronomical prices for years.
Betty?
Marc
QUOTE(Gertz @ Apr 15 2008, 10:50 PM) *

Edit: Posting simultaneously with Mthuilli. Different source, same point, it seems.

Same point indeed! abs-cheers.gif

It appears that the term "la Bleue" has been taken over by the Swiss HGers after the ban.
We're still not sure of the exact meaning of the term though, could be a reference to the bluish tint of some blanches, could be an ironic reference to the Croix Bleue, the anti-alcoholic national league, could be anything.
jmark
Don't know if the Matter-Luginbuhl "Blanche Traditionelles" qualify
as 'La Bleue's," but if so, they stand as my favorites to date.
Definitely carry the blue tinge in the louche.

Jaded Prole
And that's a natural blue tinge!
sixela
QUOTE(jmark @ Apr 24 2008, 10:54 PM) *

Don't know if the Matter-Luginbuhl "Blanche Traditionelles" qualify
as 'La Bleue's,"

Not really - they're based on a Duplais recipe, and not the rather different modern Swiss absinthes from the Val de Travers.

But what's in a name?

hartsmar
Yeah... Absinthe, absinth.... Same difference. wink.gif
Steyr850
It's a party.
Come one, come all.
jacal01
QUOTE(jmark @ Apr 24 2008, 01:54 PM) *
Don't know if the Matter-Luginbuhl "Blanche Traditionelles" qualify as 'La Bleue's," but if so, they stand as my favorites to date.

Bully!
-Billy Boeuf
Bruno Rygseck
QUOTE(EdouardPerneau @ Apr 15 2008, 03:18 AM) *

Which is the best "la bleue" according to you ?

Original Zürcher Fee. The second version is almost without anise (or I got faulty bottles). In lack of the ZF, I'll be happy with Clandestine.
Grim
Hey Sixer, what do you remember of the Félix… or do you still have some left?
Wolfgang
Just tasted La Ptite.

Amazing floral and complex LaBleue. Sent an order right away for more. It's too early to tell but this one may turns out to be my favorite. Certainly worth trying.

Also received Valote Martin 72%. Interesting chalky character, good enough to makes me curious and add a bottle of his regular Valote Martin in my order to be able to compare the two.

Also got more Bovet with todays package. Not the most complex but I sometimes like this one for the fennel. I finally passed on the Bovet 65% for the next order as I preffer to play safe and get more La Ptite. I'll wait to see if people tell it's just a less diluted version of the regular Bovet.

Donnie Darko
Did Ptite change herb sources or formula? I found the initial release to be rather weak and the herbs used to not be of especially remarkable quality. Good pontica but most other tastes weren't very assertive.

The only blanche I like very much anymore is Combier Blanchette, which is a world apart from most of the Swiss La Bleues. Maybe I should revisit La Ptite again.
absinthist
QUOTE(Wolfgang @ Mar 26 2009, 11:25 AM) *

I'll wait to see if people tell it's just a less diluted version of the regular Bovet.

Different herb-bill, different alcohol heat, everything is different. Tradition is more robust, less delicate, 54 version is much, much better, even if it doesn't pack that wormwoodiness Tradition does.

http://www.absinthe-bovet.ch/en/products/absinthe-tradition

Although I do not agree with Willy that time that it is that bitter to require sugar. It doesn't require sugar at all to open up perfectly and for my bitter tooth and alcohol anesthetized palate™, it is more dry than bitter.

Of course, I do not know what was Willy's intention saying: "The absinthe “Tradition” (65% vol.) with its distinct bitter taste – as during the Belle Epoque - has, unlike other absinthes, to be prepared according to a ritual" since extraits of the Belle Epoque were very grossly varying as far distinct bitterness is concerned and with few exceptions most of them required only waer™ and Tradition is not THAT bitter, if I understand the word "distinct" rightly.
Bruno Rygseck
Helfrich Blanche is also wonderful.
Wolfgang
Tasting again La Ptite side by side with a glass of Valote Martin Originale 72%. This time I used some sugar (1/2 tea spoon for 1 oz of absinthe) and higher dillution as I usually do. I used almost 4:1 for the sugared LaPtite and 4.5:1 for the Martin 72. I also served more than the tiny tasting samples I had earlier today.

Martin 72 is "ok" and I'll finish my glass but there's something in it (that may disapear after a few days of opening the bottle) that hints at a tiny bit of tails, LaPtite is superb with no flaw to be found.

Martin 72 may ends up with a low 70s rating while LaPtite may hit the 90% mark if it manages to remain that good even after a few days of aeration and if I don't go back down from my excitation of having found a new "regular" for my select club of fairies. It doesn't numb the tongue at all but still manage to show a very decent louche.

La Ptite is not a thick creamy strong and masculine absinthe. She is a nice, delicate, refreshing and perfumed lady.

G&C
Wild Bill Turkey
I have to admit G&C makes three good points, there.
Kirk
HAH! Yup.
eric
Ha!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.