Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clandestine Angélique Verte Suisse
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Meticulum
Has anybody out there tried this yet? I'm not finding any mention of it anywhere on this site which makes me a little nervous. I just ordered a bottle on a whim and don't know whether it's worth the wad. I'll soon see. I picked it up along with the Clandestine Recette Marianne, whose reviews on here were intriguing.

I'm just hoping I haven't landed my first honest to goodness bottle of swill.

John
Steve
Unfortunately the maker of this particular product has made the unfortunate choice known as "Ordinaire's Blunder", i.e. using A. absinthium in the coloring step. This results in a very unpleasant bitter aftertaste. Opinions differ, and some like it, but a number of us find it objectionable.
Meticulum
QUOTE(Spoon @ Apr 14 2008, 09:59 PM) *
Unfortunately the maker of this particular product has made the unfortunate choice known as "Ordinaire's Blunder", i.e. using A. absinthium in the coloring step. This results in a very unpleasant bitter aftertaste. Opinions differ, and some like it, but a number of us find it objectionable.

I may just have my first bottle of bitter swill shock.gif

Any ideas why no one on here as reviewed this one yet? Maybe I'm not using the official name. But I couldn't find anything even close to it on the list of reviews here. I'll go check again. . .

Thanks,

John
speedle
Perhaps you might have had the self control to ask first, order later? BTW I wouldn't say it's swill, just not very good absinthe.
Meticulum
QUOTE(speedle @ Apr 14 2008, 11:02 PM) *
Perhaps you might have had the self control to ask first, order later? BTW I wouldn't say it's swill, just not very good absinthe.

Why has no one on here officially reviewed this absinthe yet? It's not listed in any capacity on this whole website---at least as far as I've been able to find. It's odd, given that there are clearly a few opinions about the stuff already swirling around.

I could've posed this question before ordering the particular bottle, but I didn't. I'm going to leave it on the order though rather than trying to swap it with something else. It's all part of the steep learning curve I've got ahead of me. I think it'll be a good contrasting absinthe to have with the number of others I've got coming. It should certainly be a pretty good example of what a bitter swiss absinthe verte is all about.

John
Steve
I can't do a formal review since I never had a bottle. I only tasted it at Bugnon's booth at the absinthe festival in Boveresse last year, first thing in the morning. I had a couple of sips. It tasted good up front but then the nasty bitter finish kicked in and there was no way I could finish the tiny glass, so I poured it in Helfrich's glass- he happened to be standing next to me. I knew I never wanted to taste it again.

By the way, a "bitter Swiss verte" is nothing traditional. It's an unfortunate new trend just in the last year or so.
Meticulum
QUOTE(Spoon @ Apr 15 2008, 12:16 AM) *
I can't do a formal review since I never had a bottle. I only tasted it at Bugnon's booth at the absinthe festival in Boveresse last year, first thing in the morning. I had a couple of sips. It tasted good up front but then the nasty bitter finish kicked in and there was no way I could finish the tiny glass, so I poured it in Helfrich's glass- he happened to be standing next to me. I knew I never wanted to taste it again.

By the way, a "bitter Swiss verte" is nothing traditional. It's an unfortunate new trend just in the last year or so.

I'd imagine there are folks out there who appreciate the bitter finish. I most likely am not one of them either. But I'm still going to keep the bottle on the order just for comparison's sake. I don't believe anything else I've got coming has been described as having such a glaringly bitter finish to it.

I just sent Helfrich a note to get his thoughts on the stuff. . . .

John
Gertz
Psst … you don't need to quote the post directly above yours.

As for the Angélique, I agree with Spoon. I had a glass on the same occasion and couldn't finish it. I wasn't so cruel that I treated poor Helfrich with the rest, though.

It's basically a perfectly fine absinthe which has been badly screwed up at the colouring step.
Meticulum

Gertz,

When you go to one of these absinthe tastings, do you taste this stuff neat, or prepared as you'd likely be drinking it at home? I'm curious how those tastings work.

John
dom_lochet
Neat and ablaze, of course.
absinthist
With presumably two drops of laudanum to round the taste and dash of aniline to smoothen the louche.
Meticulum
I'm asking a sincere question here.

IS it standard at any of these tastings to sample this stuff neat? It wouldn't be completely out of the realm of possibility. If this IS how it's done, isn't it a bit misleading as to what a particular absinthe would taste like when mixed 3:1 or 4:1 with water? Or are you given that option as well? I'd think the overpowering attributes of the samples you'd be tasting neat would become a totally different concoction when made into the traditional drink. Sweetness, bitterness, spicyness, etc. could be significantly tempered and the unpalatable potentially made into something quite remarkable. Conversely, something that's a bit uninspired or one-dimensional when tasted neat could simply become characterless bilgewater when diluted.

I'd hope that you'd be given to opportunity to taste things both ways.

John
absinthist
IMO, everything should be tasted in every possible way: neat, in dilution, what not. It depends on what you are looking for while tasting; what do you perceive in the initial taste, what is your palate accustommed to and what aftertaste might mean to you.

When tasted neat, it gives you lotsa clues as regards how it might taste at 1:1, at 1:3, or 1:5; if the first sip of a neatly taken booze has a wonderful taste, it should develop even better when louched at the proper ratio.

Because you should remember that some absinthes may be underwatered, so may be overwatered easily, hence it is up to your own preferences as well as your taste buds and palate to adjust the ratio so as to fully embrace such a versatile and exquisite drink extrait d'absinthe is.
Meticulum
I appreciate the clarification.

My question though was how these tasting are done at the various absinthe festivals. Are you given the option of tasting the same absinthe neat AND diluted? How are things typically sampled?

John
Marc
At the Absinthiades in Pontarlier, we are free to taste the absinthes neat, diluted and sugared or not before reviewing.
I drank (or puked) them all diluted w/out sugar.
Meticulum
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks, man.

John
dom_lochet
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Apr 15 2008, 11:35 AM) *
puked them all diluted w/out sugar.

Come on! We weren't that drunk!
Selmac
I don't see the point of tasting anything neat at such a high alcohol percentage. I have a hard time tasting around the burn.
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Spoon @ Apr 14 2008, 11:16 PM) *

The proper term is "Ordinaire's Blunder" het.gif
Steyr850
I recently tasted a recreation of the 'Blunder' that was purty good.
Absomphe
Sounds like a blunder in the blunder.
Provenance
QUOTE(thegreenimp @ Apr 15 2008, 06:45 AM) *
QUOTE(Spoon @ Apr 14 2008, 11:16 PM) *

The proper term is "Ordinaire's Blunder" het.gif
PTFA!

QUOTE(Spoon @ Apr 14 2008, 05:59 PM) *

Steve
Thank you.
Gertz
QUOTE(Meticulum @ Apr 15 2008, 08:14 AM) *

Gertz,

When you go to one of these absinthe tastings, do you taste this stuff neat, or prepared as you'd likely be drinking it at home? I'm curious how those tastings work.

The standard procedure is:

1) Find a distillery in the morning. Have a drink.
2) Repeat during the day.
3) Have something to eat. Make the waitress show tits
4) Go to the Blue Oyster Bar
5) Have some tequila slammers
6) Have some whisky
7) Have something else
8) Return to hotel
9) Have some pre-ban. Try not to spill it
10) Make yourself unpopular with the staff
11) Find somewhere else to go next day. Try not to puke in the bus
12) Repeat

Feel free to taste the absinthe neat or prepared any way you want.
Marc
That is the standard (i.e. make sure your liver is prepared before Boveresse). And it lasts 4-5 days, or even more.

Only the strong survive
absinthist
Sounds like a typical weekend in warsaw evill.gif However, in 10) should be written "popular", though.
Steve
QUOTE(Gertz @ Apr 15 2008, 03:05 PM) *

11) Try not to puke in the bus

This was a very close call for Gertz. And for me as well, since I was sitting next to him. Fortunately, he only had dry heaves.
Meticulum
I hope you guys are at least hosing the vomit off yourselves between distillery tours.

John
oscardog
It has a very dense louche. Yes, it is extremely bitter, but the Anise is powerful, also. It's not bad at all, I didn't think. I will say, the flavors are not very complex. Pretty much just Wormwood and Anise. The freeze is stronger than usual, also.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.