Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Delaware Phoenix Distillery
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
dakini_painter
Now is as good a time as any to mention that I'm in the process of establishing a very small absinthe distillery here in upstate New York in the crumbling village of Walton where I live. Maybe my efforts will help make the village less crumbling.

Cheryl Lins
Delaware Phoenix Distillery
144 Delaware Street
Walton, NY 13856

www.delawarephoenix.com

I don't have the web site up as I'm still working on it. Hopefully soon, I'll have something barebones.

It's a long ways from beginning operations as I'm still working on obtaining Federal and State permits. It's quite an involved process, with a lot of chances for not having it fly. I'll let folks know when I have permits, but I expect it to be a good number of months before that happens.

And when I get the chance to operate, I hope I my product will be a good one and worthy of this (and other) forums.
abs-cheers.gif

Oh, I forgot one thing: poster_spam.gif
Provenance
Well, that does explain the knowledge of COLAs.

Good luck!
eric
Good luck Cheryl, Please keep us posted as new developments unfold.
Jaded Prole
Good luck indeed!
absinthist
And credibility when talking about them. Keep creating, DP! abs-cheers.gif Looks America will have real deal™ Absinthe finally!
Marc
I wish you the best DP.

You planning on distilling absinthe only?
Be careful, I heard that stuff is bad for health, look at the people here.
absinthist
Isn't it banned as well?
Tibro
I hope it's to beat the band. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Absomphe
Here's to much success in your noble pursuit, D.P. abs-cheers.gif

I'm sure you'll show the your seemingly clueless future competition how it should be done.
Steyr850
Congrats! Glad to hear it. I know you're excited.
Poke Salad Papa
Congratulations! abs-cheers.gif
dakini_painter
Thanks! It is exciting, but frustrating as things take soooooo long.

Yes, mthulli, exclusively absinthe. google: "the daily star" absinthe
and you'll see the little article that came out locally.
absinthist
Very good article I must add.
Steve
State law limits the distribution to outlets within New York.

[insert crying emoticon]

Anyway, congratulations, Cheryl!

Nephrite
Best of luck! PM me if you need a hand with the web development.
Provenance
QUOTE(Spoon @ Apr 16 2008, 10:02 AM) *

[insert crying emoticon]

Those are probably similar to the laws prohibiting personal importation of alcohol from France.

Steve
Yeah, you have a point.
Donnie Darko
Cool. I wish you lots of luck with your plans. I know those guys who run the Tuthilltown distillery upstate were planning on making an absinthe but it seems nothing ever came of it. The upside is that NY State laws allow you to get a license for cheap if you make less than a certain # of gallons per year and make your alcohol base from local waste fruit.
dakini_painter
I'm not sure how things work with distribution outside of NY by a manufacturer. Within the state, they are equal to a wholesaler, but outside the state, I don't know.

NY's Farm Distiller license has many advantages for folks making whiskey or vodka. Not much anise or fennel grown here in NY.
Provenance
I suspect Phoenix Absinthe may just see some informal distribution outside NY.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Apr 16 2008, 03:13 PM) *

This makes no sense to me, as all my Kubler and Lucid comes from NY.

Regardless, good luck to you!
Provenance
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Apr 16 2008, 12:19 PM) *
This makes no sense to me
That covers very broad territory.
OCvertDe
Hey, we all used to be things we aren't anymore.
dakini_painter
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Apr 16 2008, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Apr 16 2008, 03:13 PM) *

This makes no sense to me, as all my Kubler and Lucid comes from NY.

Manufacturers in NY can sell to retail outlets and/or wholesalers. The K and L came from a retail outlet who can sell to whomever they want. Is that clear now?
OCvertDe
No. It's not what they're doing that doesn't make sense, it's the point of what they're doing.
speedle
QUOTE(Provenance @ Apr 16 2008, 05:16 PM) *
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Apr 16 2008, 12:19 PM) *
This makes no sense to me
Hey, we all used to be things we aren't anymore.

That covers very broad territory.

You used to be a broad?
dakini_painter
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Apr 16 2008, 07:55 PM) *

No. It's not what they're doing that doesn't make sense, it's the point of what they're doing.

blink.gif

now you're not making sense.
eric
As if…
OCvertDe
Ok, let me attempt to complicate this for the sake of simplification: WTF is the point? It would seem that all it is is red tape for the sake of red tape, which ultimately accomplishes nothing.
G&C
It insures the middleman's cut.
Grim
Congrats, gal. Keep your head up.
Conte d'Ugenta
Good luck DP, hold on!
Nephrite
That sounds a bit desperate… how about, hang in there or hey, we can throw together a fat website that will make alandia.de look like the piece of xit it really is…

Yes, I know I've had to much to drink wink.gif

And at 4am too!
Provenance
QUOTE(G&C @ Apr 17 2008, 05:52 PM) *
It insures the middleman's cut.

Indeed!™ And from personal experience I know how politically powerful those middlemen are.
Provenance
One example. If a bar runs out of something during the evening, say Amaretto, and buys a bottle at the local liquor store -- paying all federal, state, local liquor and and sales taxes, they can lose their license because they didn't buy it from the distributor. This is of greatest concern to small bars that can't afford to keep large inventories of rarely used items.
dakini_painter
Which is too bad, because you'd like to see small bars have a great selection, even if they can't have everything.

The Conte is quite right. More :Smokin Monkey: and downs, twists and turns than the Tatsu at Magic Mountain.
Goanna
I wish you good luck with this endeavor, and I would also be more then happy to help you out with your website if you ever need it. I am a PHP Programmer/Web Developer and can easily put together an online store that would topple alandias, absinthe.de, etc biggrin.gif.
OCvertDe
…Nephrite?
Nephrite
No, but we are looking for a PHP programmer! Goanna, please PM me.
speedle
Puppet?
Absomphe
Um, no.

Just a prodigal oldtimer, noob. harhar.gif
Goanna
Nephrite, you got PM.
dakini_painter
Thanks for the web offers, but producers aren't allowed to sell direct to the public under NY law. (The Farm distiller can, but it has to be in person sales.)

Don't worry, when the time comes I'll contact the Drink Up NY folks.
speedle
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Apr 22 2008, 06:47 PM) *
Um, no.

Just a prodigal oldtimer, noob. harhar.gif

Ha!

That's what I get for takin' tips on crime solving from OCD!

OCvertDe
Yes butt… I was kidding.
Hemingway's Hangover
That is wonderful, Dakini! I hope we can expect to find some of your original artwork on the label?

abs-cheers.gif
OCvertDe
Ooh… I hadna thought of that. Good point.
dakini_painter
Part of the plan, but if you've seen my paintings, you know what a battle I'll have with the TTB convincing them it has nothing to do with absinthe "hallucinations". frusty.gif
Nephrite
What about a combination art gallery and distillery?
Lord Stanley
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Apr 19 2008, 01:21 PM) *

More :Smokin Monkey: and downs, twists and turns than the Tatsu at Magic Mountain.

I thought they were flying monkeys. Word filters…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.