Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't Bring Absinthe into the US
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
Provenance
MSNBC is kind enough to warn tourists against bringing absinthe into the US.

Prohibited and restricted items
Some items, such as firearms and some cultural artifacts, are restricted and will only be admitted into the U.S. under special circumstances. Others, including absinthe and most items from embargoed countries, are prohibited entirely. Check the CBP's list of prohibited and restricted items before you leave if you have any doubts.

Absinthe (Alcohol)
The importation of Absinthe and any other liquors or liqueurs that contain Artemisia absinthium is prohibited.
absinthist
wacko.gif Will noroms™ ever learn?
Pataphysician
I just came through U.S. customs last week and was asked if I had any alcohol, when I said yes, he asked "What kind?" I figured that he could only be asking about absinthe. What else could he have been concerned about, right? I guess they're still enforcing it.

I said "It's something called 'Mystique' -- I think it's some kind of flavored vodka." And he was satisfied with that.
Absomphe
As Oxy crosses off yet another one from his Christmas list…
Pataphysician
But it's the best vodka I ever had.

But seriously, Oxy, it's a mighty fine absinthe, too, and Merry Christmas to you.
thegreenimp
From May 29, 1953 Customs, Absinthe, and Ping-Pong balls. LARS!.gif

IPB Image
dakini_painter
There you have it: since 1953 the US government has known absinthe contains nothing deleterious.

Next thing you know, they'll be telling us Area 51 doesn't exist.

Wilson
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Apr 19 2008, 06:10 PM) *

Next thing you know, they'll be telling us Area 51 doesn't exist.

We have dragged you off the property 5 times now and still you keep making claims about little green men. What do we have to do?
bob_chong
QUOTE(Pataphysician @ Apr 19 2008, 10:53 AM) *

I just came through U.S. customs last week and was asked if I had any alcohol, when I said yes, he asked "What kind?" I figured that he could only be asking about absinthe. What else could he have been concerned about, right?

Could have been asking if it was beer, wine, or spirits…or had you gotten past that already?
absinthist
If he said: "I have just a gallon of butanol", he would be free.

Butt, customs officers can be very, very intelligent, though. Once when we were crossing a border, one of them came and asked "Do you have any alcohol to declare?" My father answered: "No, we have only rum, brandy, cognac, slivovitz, gin and whisky. We have no alcohol to declare". He has obviously let us go but must have been very, very confused.

It should be noted that term "alcohol" in Poland means our rectified spirit 98 and it was true because we weren't carrying even a single one of that.
Pataphysician
Yeah, Bob, we'd gotten past that. My first answer was "I have a bottle of liquor." So I can't imagine any other reason why he'd want to know "what kind", because there isn't any other kind that's prohibited, is there? That's never happened to me before, they never ask "what kind" and they never look. I wonder if the sudden higher profile of absinthe in the news is making customs look at the rules more closely and enforce them very strictly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.