Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthe St. Antoine
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Habu
Hello! This is my first post in this forum, I'm so excited! w00t2.gif

I though about some brief introduction of mine, but I'll just say, that I'm from Czech republic (yes, the homeland of czechswill, czechsinth, crapsinth etc.) and I didn't taste any other brand from abroad… yet. I read a lot bad things about our way of absinth and I was quite confused (I'll never forget the night, when I was trying to louche Absinth 35 from L'OR) because it tasted better than any other alcohol I had. But few weeks later I had Toulouse Lautrec… and if there's even better Absinthe, then it seems that I'm going to merry a girl whose colour MUST be green… or louched… somehow! wink.gif

Anyway… I know now, that our Absinth shouldn't be even called absinth, even though it's not spelled with an "e". It is an absolutely different drink, that shouldn't be judged as an ABSINTHE at all. And believe me, I would love to see a change… because when you walk through the Old town of Prague, you'll see so many stores with green glasses filled with so called "absinth"… and beside them an absinthe spoon.

So there's a new product, Absinthe St. Antoine from Zusy (Zufanek), which came out probably this year. It's manufacturer claims it is not a bohemian style absinth, hence the spelling with "e", no artificial colouring and the original french (ouch, hurts like cliché…) way of preparation. And because I'm not skilled enough to make a review on it (yet), I could provide you with a sample, since it seems that it is not officially distributed abroad yet.

Check their web - http://www.zufanek.cz/absinthe.html - if you click on the english (or other than czech) version of the web, you won't get to the absinthe page. So there's not an english word about it. However, there's not much helpful information anyway. But if you still want a translation, I'll try to do my best.

So, anyone interested? I did a search on this forum and I didn't find a single line about Absinthe St. Antoine, so I suppose that it was not tasted here yet. And yeah, well… I didn't taste it too. :(
Provenance
IPB Image
Wilson
Does anyone read the FAQ before posting anymore? Anyway,,,

Welcome.
Habu
QUOTE(Wilson @ May 8 2008, 09:37 PM) *

Does anyone read the FAQ before posting anymore? Anyway,,,

Welcome.

…ou.. I read it. Probably not carefully enough tough, however what did do wrong? blink.gif
Marc
Nothing, don't worry.
Welcome.
hartsmar
The color of it seems to be a very murky dark green. I'm not exactly convinced. hmmm... Welcome though.
Jaded Prole
Judging by the muddy color it looks like the Polish method.

I'm sure someone here will be glad to sample it for the record.

But not me.

absinthist
Nope, it is not, if really looks very dark. Oh, and welcome.
The Standard Deviant
Hello Habu. Make sure you give the absinthe of anisey-goodness a try!
Absomphe
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ May 8 2008, 01:50 PM) *

Judging by the muddy color it looks like the Polish method.

Tansy?

Looks more like squid ink.
Conte d'Ugenta
Welcome Habu,
think it's not so wise to offer us to sample somethin you haven't ever tasted…

Btw I love Staré Mesto
Ricki
The site says that the Absinthe is made by macerating herbs in the alcohol, distilling 3 times, and then coloured with additional herbs. If that is true then maybe it could be an ok Czech Absinthe. I won't be trying it any time soon though, I have too much good stuff to be drinking.

Anyway, welcome to the board.
Nephrite
ABSIN.ORG is still available!
Habu
QUOTE(Conte d'Ugenta @ May 9 2008, 01:01 AM) *

Welcome Habu,

Btw I love Staré Mesto

I know, but I stumbled on this one only a couple of days ago while googling other rare czech absinthe - Oliva absinthe, so I didn't have time to buy it. However the first specimen is on it's way.
hartsmar
QUOTE(Nephrite @ May 8 2008, 09:50 PM) *

ABSIN.ORG is still available!

...and that has what to do with anything?
Nephrite
Xactly! St. Antoine = absin.org, etc.
hartsmar
I think you need to quit drinking.
Nephrite
Ha! how can you tell heart.gif

You're right, I fell off the 'ol wagon tonight… and bleeding all over me keyboard.
Conte d'Ugenta
QUOTE(Habu @ May 8 2008, 09:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Conte d'Ugenta @ May 9 2008, 01:01 AM) *

Welcome Habu,

Btw I love Staré Mesto

I know, but I stumbled on this one only a couple of days ago while googling other rare czech absinthe - Oliva absinthe, so I didn't have time to buy it. However the first specimen is on it's way.

The producer of Oliva came here some time ago, I think you can find some posts if you search… very nice guy btw, but as far as I remember the ones who tasted his sparkling absinthe weren't very pleased.
If it's true that St. Antoine is macerated and distillated is a good starting point, then it depends on what they've put in it and how they did the coloration (the muddy and so dark color is not very promising).
Anway, I suggest you to buy a bottle of a good starter absinthe (like Duplais Balance or Guy for example) so you can have a bench, and then try that St. Antoine.

Cheers
OCvertDe
You suggest Guy alongside Balance? Interesting. Is it more like Balance, or LaFee?
dakini_painter
F. Guy is much more of an absinthe than La Fee will ever be.

QUOTE(Nephrite @ May 9 2008, 02:37 AM) *

You're right, I fell off the 'ol wagon tonight…

Get back on the waggon. The web site isn't up and fully functional yet.

No playing with your mouth until the job is done.
Bruno Rygseck
QUOTE(Absomphe @ May 9 2008, 01:28 AM) *

squid ink.

Czech my "Tunel Black" review again harhar.gif

One reason for calling the Tunel Red "a liquid insult" was that, unike the Czechsinthe makers, the Spanish should have an idea of how to make something near-drinkable. They chose to make this bottled vomit instead (with a splash picture of it on the label, btw.).

Wilson
Guy is very drinkable and is cheap like Kubler so that it could be your every day absinthe. It is a verte, but in quality, I would rank it right along side Kubler.
Conte d'Ugenta
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ May 9 2008, 03:01 AM) *

You suggest Guy alongside Balance? Interesting. Is it more like Balance, or LaFee?

Guy is absinthe, period. LaFee, well I consider it just a very little step far from the crap line…
Actually I don't like Guy very much, but I think it can give a good idea of what absinthe is, it features a good amount of green anise and a good Pontarlier wormwood profile. I prefer Un Emile (last versions) soooo fuckin more than Guy, but seems like LdF and Markus don't carry the 45° anymore, and the 68° is a little pricy for a starter… so that's why I suggested Guy alongside Balance.

Kirk
There was a time, not long ago, when Guy was the only real absinthe for me, unless I bought clandestine from Betty. I liked Guy back then, I'm not sure what I would think about it now, but I still respect Francois Guy.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Kirk @ May 9 2008, 06:14 AM) *

There was a time, not long ago, when Guy was the only real absinthe for me, unless I bought clandestine from Betty.

I'm not sure which part of that statement is more shocking.

It must have been a long time ago, indeed. wink.gif
OCvertDe
Well, I was going to give it (Guy) a try back before I'd tried so many higher end selections, but I had pretty much written it off as another LaFee. If it's as good as Kubler though, I might still just so I will have tried it. I'm not quite as masochistic as Shabba, but I don't mind experiencing the lower levels for the experience.

Incidentally, I've been eying the UE 3 flask sampler at LdF as well, for the same reason. Cheap way to try three absinthes for way less than the cost of one full size of any of them. Not the best bargain, but less regrettable if I hate them.
Patlow
Lion has lots of Minis as well, if you want to try different things.
OCvertDe
Never ordered from the Lion… I'll have to bookmark them.
Wilson
The only time I have bought from Lion, I got three 1 liter bottles of Balance. After the shipping and the exchange rate, it was $301.00 if I remember correctly. That was a while back. They also threw a 10cl bottle of Duplais Verte in the box. They are the only vendor I know of that has the Duplais products in 1 liter bottles.
OCvertDe
LdF has at least the Duplais Verte in one liters.

That seems like a lot, unless you're talking about 3l, not 150cl.
The shipping seems kind of high at Lion, and the cart isn't as user friendly as LdF/Absinthe Classics. They do have some different stuff though, and lots of small sizes.
Wilson
That was three bottles and they were all 1 liter, totaling 3 liters. Yes, their shipping seems to be very high.
Wilson
Lucid from drinkupny.com costs $60 = .08 per ml, and I have to buy 2 to get free shipping.

3 Liters of Balance from Lion costs $300 = .10 per ml

When you look at it that way, it's not too bad.

Habu
Thank you all for recommendations, including vendors.

Absinthe St. Antoine is on my desk right now, bought it yesterday. However I don't have much time to taste it right now, so I'll let you know on monday. Gonna take some pictures of it too. wink.gif
OCvertDe
I didn't know Balance came in 100ml sizes, that definitely changes things to not a bad price at all. The shipping though… and I thought LdF was high!
Wilson
I am trying to remember what it was that showed on the credit card bill. There was a tax that had to be paid to Germany for the package to leave the country. Not sure, but I am thinking it was $30. That was what raised the shipping costs so high.
OCvertDe
It's just more complicated too. At LdF you can chuck a bunch of stuff in the cart and have a running total including shipping, to see how much you can get for what cost. At Lion, you have to figure out what it all weighs and then go into the shipping table and figure it out for yourself… unless there's another way I didn't notice just skimming through. Not difficult per se, just not as fast and convenient as LdF.
hartsmar
QUOTE(Wilson @ May 9 2008, 03:47 AM) *

Guy is very drinkable and is cheap like Kubler so that it could be your every day absinthe. It is a verte

but it's missing the green color...
Wilson
Yes it is pale.
Conte d'Ugenta
and lose even that pale nuance when louched…
Steve
QUOTE(hartsmar @ May 11 2008, 12:44 AM) *

but it's missing the green color…

and the fennel…
G&C
Indeed!
Habu
…well, that was it… blink.gif

I though it could be better than most czech "absiths", but it didn't taste good at all. It was bitter, pretty much like some other stuff e.g. from L'OR.

See the pictures:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I'm not going to buy another bottle, that's for sure.

frusty.gif
The Standard Deviant
It louched though!
Absomphe
It looks billious.
Tibro
You sure that didn't come from sub-Carpathian Poland?
Habu
QUOTE(Tibro @ May 12 2008, 05:39 PM) *

Yeah, everything says it comes from Zlín, town in Moravia, east part of Czech rep.

QUOTE(The Standard Deviant @ May 12 2008, 04:36 PM) *

It louched though!

Right, a bit. And the colour is at least natural.
Tibro
Zlý? That would explain it.
Habu
QUOTE(Tibro @ May 12 2008, 07:19 PM) *

Zlý? That would explain it.

…hehe, yeah [for non czech speakers - zlý(í) = bad, or even evil, so Zlín could be translated as "eviltown"]
absinthist
QUOTE(Tibro @ May 12 2008, 07:39 AM) *

Very funny.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.