Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coz noir is the new kewel couleur…
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
absinthist
3 noirs and one verte, have your choice, be cool! Be noir!
OCvertDe
blink.gif
absinthist
Onacuz we do not have a strict bitter and accurate absinthe definition, there will be more of noirs and whiskisinths.
Tibro
What are the first and last products? And why include a vodka?
dom_lochet
First on the left seems to be Père Kermann (though not the usual bottle).
Marc
First one

Marc
Last one
absinthist
Sock's right on both. The bot is 50cl version, hence might look differently. Vodka is made by the same guys who are responsible for Kermann, that's why I have included it as well.
absinthist
Also we can see how "beautifully" Elixir presents in the glass:
Marc
I think Dom was talking about that usual bottle:
IPB Image
absinthist
That's verte (bleu) one, I am not coming across it that often, it looks like that below is the most popular now, maybe 70cl has been abandoned for good? Recently in warsaw I have spotted 20cl flask even.
Marc
Elixir Armorique has no A.A. in it, it's just a whisky cocktail.
They translated wrongly "Genepi" (in the french version) by "Wormwood" (in the english version)
Tibro
So, in essence it's a corn-based, sweetened, herbal bitter liqueur? Anybody actually tried it?
absinthist
If so, it seems to be something like Drambuie or Highland Bitters from Skye. Socky, have you had it?
dom_lochet
QUOTE(mthuilli @ May 14 2008, 03:07 PM) *

I think Dom was talking about that usual bottle:
IPB Image

Indeed™.
hartsmar
Eow
Marc
End Of Woodchucks?
Rimbaud
Drambuie is a honey liqueur, no?
Rimbaud
By the way…has anyone tried this stuff?

I absolutely love the bottle & graphic design. I must say I'm intrigued.
OCvertDe
Interesting bottle; very professional looking, attractive website. But wtf is it? Fruit brandy?
absinthist
QUOTE(Rimbaud @ May 14 2008, 11:23 AM) *

Drambuie is a honey liqueur, no?

Heather honey, herbs and spices and single malt. Something in that vein is that thing
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ May 14 2008, 03:50 PM) *

Interesting bottle; very professional looking, attractive website. But wtf is it? Fruit brandy?

You know, most people have about a trillion Neurons. Apparently you are not "most people".

It's called St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur. It says that all over the webpage you just looked at, practically every pulldown menu mentions what it contains. It says that all over the webpage you have to enter your age on in order to access the main site. In fact, the title of the webpage is "St. Germain--Made from the Elderflower, Picked in the Alps". It says "Elderflower" on that page 4 times alone, and says at the bottom "Made from Elderflower blossoms". If I were to direct a first grader to that website and ask them to figure out what that drink was made out of, without them even having to lie about their age to get into the main website, they could tell me "wtf is it" in less than 10 seconds.

Please don't ask who is buried in Grant's tomb next.
Rimbaud
Thanks, DD. I read the noroM's post, but was way too tired to care to slap him with the obvious stick.

Nice website, though, isn't it? Jade should take some pointers (although their labels are indeed fantastic, I must say).

Chris
Donnie is correct and yes I've had a few bottles…. very good stuff.
Rimbaud
I'm gonna pick some up. It's not too expensive..I think around $25 a bottle or so. It was sitting on the shelf at my local hooch merchant just below the Absente, Lucid & that Green Torment bullshit.
Rimbaud
This stuff looks good as well (it's the damn website & bottle/graphic design…gets me every time!)…
Wilson
Another really nice looking bottle.

I must admit, it is tempting to buy stuff just so that the unique bottles can sit on your bar and look cool.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ May 14 2008, 04:01 PM) *

Nobody, it's a mausoleum.

I'm sure you knew that, DD, butt I just thought I'd give that norom™ OCD a heads -up.
thegreenimp
Nice stuff, try LeNell's Shop she usually has some interesting booze around.
Wilson
That is some nasty looking stuff in that fountain.
OCvertDe
Actually, I was going to leave that alone, but thanks Absomphe.

Donnie, I know it's Elderflower. Thank you, master of the obvious. That tells me next to nothing about what this drink is, I've never seen anything like it anywhere. Obviously that doesn't mean everyone hasn't been drinking Elderflower beverages right under my oblivious nose for years, only that the site as posted by Rimbaud tells a lot more about what it isn't than what it is for someone who has no experience with Elder flowers, Elder berries, or any of the products one might aspire to flavor with them. And like him, what I wanted to know was: has anyone tried it? And it logically follows: how is it? What does it taste like? Is it any good? Would the rabbit manipulate you into drinking it?
speedle
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ May 14 2008, 07:01 PM) *
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ May 14 2008, 03:50 PM) *

You know, most people have about a trillion Neurons. Apparently you are not "most people".

It's called St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur. It says that all over the webpage you just looked at, practically every pulldown menu mentions what it contains. It says that all over the webpage you have to enter your age on in order to access the main site. In fact, the title of the webpage is "St. Germain--Made from the Elderflower, Picked in the Alps". It says "Elderflower" on that page 4 times alone, and says at the bottom "Made from Elderflower blossoms". If I were to direct a first grader to that website and ask them to figure out what that drink was made out of, without them even having to lie about their age to get into the main website, they could tell me "wtf is it" in less than 10 seconds.

Christ, stop it, I can't breathe! w00t2.gif

I read it with Alec Baldwin's voice in my head because I just watched 30 Rock, so mebbe had something to do with my falling over laughing fit.

Besides, OC, you asked if it was fruit brandy. That, and that alone, probably got you the answer you got from DD.
G&C
Proving once again…
Nephrite
absinthist
QUOTE(Rimbaud @ May 14 2008, 03:14 PM) *

This stuff looks good as well

It's 28% vol and on the market since 1887 or later. In these times, there were many ginger liqueurs available, so I believe it might be good and if I were you I would go for it.

The best of them (72 international awards) was Mandarin-Ginger produced by B. Kasprowicz in Poznań since 1823. However, that liqueur was stronger, 40%; generally they were in the range 35-38%. Apart from addition of cognac, and spices they might have included grape wine (madeira or tokaji) and the better brands apart from sugar, were sweetened with genuine honey. Below are their original labels:
OCvertDe
QUOTE(speedle @ May 14 2008, 10:57 PM) *

Christ, stop it, I can't breathe! w00t2.gif

I read it with Alec Baldwin's voice in my head because I just watched 30 Rock, so mebbe had something to do with my falling over laughing fit.

Besides, OC, you asked if it was fruit brandy. That, and that alone, probably got you the answer you got from DD.

Now you mention it, that was pretty fucking hilarious, and I'm half sure you're right.
brucer
Elderflower …. it is worth asking what it tastes like.

Forty years ago my grandfather used to make Elderflower Champagne. It was absolutely delicious. Many intelligent people have opined that Elderflower wine is the only non-grape wine that come close to grape wines in drinkability and quality.

Twenty years ago my wife used to make Elderflower wine and a non-alcoholic cordial. They were both delicious.

However, every single bottle of commercially produce Elderflower beverage I have ever tasted (and some other people's HG as well) has tasted like ARMPIT SWEAT. That is, it tastes they way the unpleasant armpit sweat of some fat bloke smells.

Unusually, about four years ago, I met an alcoholic Elderflower cordial in an English pub that had come from Austria. It was a very old bottle. It was delicious.

But all other commercial elderflower offerings I have ever tasted are smelly bloke's armpit sweat.

Bruce
OCvertDe
Thank you Bruce. That will do perfectly, exactly what I was looking for.

I should have foreseen that my sarcastic insinuation "fruit brandy" would be picked apart literally, and the spirit of the question would never be considered… amongst other things. I shall try to PTFmoreA in the future.

Shabba53
Brucer, take my word for it, the St. Germain is amazing. I can't say enough about it. It in no way tastes like fat man. abs-cheers.gif

A St. Germain cocktail (dry white wine, St. Germain, and some club soda) is a wonderful beverage on a hot day. In fact, it was the hit of the party at my wife's Baby Shower held over the summer. I got stuck behind the bar making them for everyone. Not that I'm complaining.

It's hard to describe the flavor of elderflower. It's floral (no surprise there) with flavors of pear, apple, and lychee. The aroma of the SG is very similar to lychee as well.

I highly recommend it.
Tibro
I wonder if it would be overkill to pair it with elderflower fritters. Well, bloom time is nearly here in any case.
OCvertDe
"Amazing"? Cool. And for the money, reasonably priced for something allegedly available in only limited quantities.
Kirk
I wonder how limited it is.
I bought a bottle a couple of years ago, if you like sickly sweet, fruity liqueur, this ain't bad. I'd hate to get drunk on it, even as a mixer, especially with wine.
Shabba53
I don't know how you bought a bottle a couple of years ago. It hit the market in Spring/Summer of 2007.

It's definitely overpowering on its own, but it's great as a mixer.

And the SG cocktail is great. I've never experienced any bad rebound effects.
Absomphe
Sickly sweet?

I think I'll pass on this one.

It's amazing how many liqueurs might actually be delicious, if only the sugar content were lower.
Shabba53
I'd call a lot of liqueurs sickly sweet on their own, but that wouldn't prevent me from using them in cocktails.

I wouldn't drink Pimento Dram on its own for the life of me, but it's great to have in the bar for mixing.
Provenance
QUOTE(Absomphe @ May 15 2008, 05:41 AM) *
It's amazing how many liqueurs might actually be delicious, if only the sugar content were non-existent.
Absomphe
It's amazing how many liquors are delicious, simply because no sugar is added.

G&C
QUOTE(Absomphe @ May 15 2008, 07:18 AM) *
It's amazing how many liquors are delicious, simply because no sugar is added.

absinthist
QUOTE(G&C @ May 15 2008, 06:30 AM) *

It's amazing how most of the liquors are delicious, simply because no sugar whatsoever is added, either during the production or during the consumption.

Steyr850
QUOTE(absinthist @ May 15 2008, 11:09 AM) *

QUOTE(G&C @ May 15 2008, 06:30 AM) *

It's amazing you're coherent.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.