Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greetings from North Shore Distillery!
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
Sonja
Hello everyone, I have been lurking for quite a while and thought I'd better introduce myself. I am the co-founder of North Shore Distillery. We are in Lake Bluff, Illinois (35 miles north of downtown Chicago), and we make Sirène Absinthe Verte and several other award-winning spirits. Our production is very small (just the two of us plus one part-time employee). We do everything by hand (except the distilling) using a blend of very traditional and modern techniques.

We've been appreciating absinthe for many years, and have actually been working with it since we started our distillery. Initially we didn't plan to release one and worked on it for our own enjoyment (one of the bonuses of having a distillery - lots of experimenting), but we found ourselves with a formula we loved and the timing seemed right.

I love absinthe, other spirits, as well as classic cocktails. I write a blog about classic cocktails and the Chicago cocktail scene, and am often found at home with various bar paraphernalia strewn about.

I'm excited to officially join the forum and I look forward to participating in the discussions.

Cheers! abs-cheers.gif
SoulShade
Welcome Sonja! 'Glad you're here. We love having distillers participate in "the conversation".
I look forward to trying Sirène, and am thrilled at the fact absinthe is once again being made in this country. -s
Steyr850
Hi again Sonja. Good to have to over hear too.
OCvertDe
Welcome! Still hoping to try some Sirène of my own soon.
DRX
QUOTE(Sonja @ May 28 2008, 10:46 AM) *

Hello everyone, I have been lurking for quite a while and thought I'd better introduce myself. I am the co-founder of North Shore Distillery. We are in Lake Bluff, Illinois (35 miles north of downtown Chicago), and we make Sirène Absinthe Verte and several other award-winning spirits. Our production is very small (just the two of us plus one part-time employee). We do everything by hand (except the distilling) using a blend of very traditional and modern techniques.

We've been appreciating absinthe for many years, and have actually been working with it since we started our distillery. Initially we didn't plan to release one and worked on it for our own enjoyment (one of the bonuses of having a distillery - lots of experimenting), but we found ourselves with a formula we loved and the timing seemed right.

I love absinthe, other spirits, as well as classic cocktails. I write a blog about classic cocktails and the Chicago cocktail scene, and am often found at home with various bar paraphernalia strewn about.

I'm excited to officially join the forum and I look forward to participating in the discussions.

Cheers! abs-cheers.gif

Gee, this would have been a really nice person to have around here to learn a few things from. I wonder what scared this person away? Hmmmmmm. Sure is a mystery.

Kirk
What do you imagine we might have learned from her?
absinthist
We probably nothing, he at least could learn the art of writing a nice, intelligent noob introduction.
rjordan
Ha!

gun thug.gif
Leopold
QUOTE(DRX @ Jul 1 2008, 08:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Sonja @ May 28 2008, 10:46 AM) *

Cheers! abs-cheers.gif

Gee, this would have been a really nice person to have around here to learn a few things from. I wonder what scared this person away? Hmmmmmm. Sure is a mystery.

Yeah, that's why us commercial distillers showed up here: to teach the people, who have been studying every aspect of Absinthe and Absinthe production for years, what's what.

fart.gif

Shabba53
Damn, D. You just got bitchslapped from yet another distiller! abs-cheers.gif

I'm sure when Sonja comes back, which I'm sure she will (she's probably just very busy with the blanche), she'll probably do the same.

Now STFU. cdog-plain.gif
Provenance
I wouldn't be surprised if D (not to be confused with D-Squared) is on vacation right now.
Selmac
I go trolling on my vacations too.
speedle
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jul 2 2008, 04:00 PM) *
I wouldn't be surprised if D (not to be confused with D-Squared) is on vacation right now.

With luck, permanently.
Tibro
Is being on a permanent vacation different from being out to lunch permanently?
artguy
Well I just came here, and I'm happy to see someone else from the Chicagoland area. I live in Brookfield and read that my local liquor store sells the North Shore Absinthe. I will be checking it out next month after I finish the bottle I have (my first).
Selmac
My first impressions of that stuff weren't spectacular, but after a bit of aging I tried it again and liked it. It's my favorite US absinthe so far.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Selmac @ Jul 2 2008, 01:16 PM) *

I go trolling on my vacations too.

I don't think of DR-Ex as a fisherman, but rather like Billy the Bigmouth Bass(turd), the catch that the disappointed angler was more than happy to throw back into the primordial soup.
rjordan
Speaking of fishing….went out on Tues and caught two huge (30-40lbs? 50ins.) Stripers. And a couple of littler ones. But those fresh filets were awesome!(a little potato, carrots, celery, onion, lemon and rosemary in a foil pouch on the grill for 25 minutes….YUMMMMMMMMMY!) Then I fell off the dock right into the boat propeller (no it wasn't moving or else I'd be dead right now) so that wasn't so good. Ah, good times.

Happy 4th everybody!

gun thug.gif
Wilson
Glad to hear you didn't end up looking like one of those manatees that got prop cut. That would truly ruin a great holiday week.
Absomphe
Hugh Manatee ain't nuthin' but a sea cow, I always say.
rjordan
Thanks W. That would've ruined a great weekend but as it turns out now I don't have to work the weekend. Yeah!

gun thug.gif
Sonja
QUOTE(Leopold @ Jul 2 2008, 01:39 PM) *
QUOTE(DRX @ Jul 1 2008, 08:01 PM) *
Yeah, that's why us commercial distillers showed up here: to teach the people, who have been studying every aspect of Absinthe and Absinthe production for years, what's what. fart.gif

Thanks for sticking up for me in my absence, Leopold! I was actually still lurking around, but managed not to look back at this thread for awhile. Looks like I missed a good opportunity. frusty.gif
Shabba53
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Jul 2 2008, 03:27 PM) *

Damn, D. You just got bitchslapped from yet another distiller!

abs-cheers.gif

By the way, great to meet you last week, Sonja.
Sonja
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Jul 28 2008, 11:16 AM) *

By the way, great to meet you last week, Sonja.

Great meeting you too! The Soiree was a lot of fun, as was Tales. I must admit it was nice to return to the relative coolness of a Chicago summer though, at least it cools off here at night. abs-cheers.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.