Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthe Mata Hari comes to America
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
Steve
Absinthe Mata Hari comes to America
The first real "Bohemian-style" Absinthe is launching in the American market and by August should be available coast to coast - in over 20 states.

" Mr. Fischer also noted "Mata Hari is known as one of the strongest Absinthes in Europe again coming from the Bohemian style where the level of thujone is higher than in the French Style."

Even with the US 10ppm "thujone-free" reg, they're STILL hyping the thujone.
Jaded Prole
They can't hype the taste or the quality. Might as well go for those who aren't interested in anything but trippin' ballz . . .
Absomphe
Some assclown actually gave Mata Hari a score of 4.6 out of a possible 5, recently.

I wonder if he's a future distributor.
Wilson
According to Dave Stringfellow, President of Beacon Beverage Imports who will be representing the brand in the U.S. "We looked all over Europe to find an authentic Absinthe to bring to the U.S. and found it in Mata Hari.

They were not looking hard enough.
Donnie Darko
Wow, I remember drinking some of that foul shit a long time ago. I hadn't even tasted a distilled Absinthe yet, all I'd had was Sebor and Deva and I still hated the Mata Hari.
Le Gimp
They call for shaking a mixed drink with tonic water in it, which will de-gass the tonic water and make the drink even worse.

AND, they are calling out the fire ritual to boot.
dakini_painter
Well if they are hyping the chop.gif they are probably in violation of TTB regulations.

Feel free to file a complaint. This isn't like the EU where any distributor can say anything at all about their product. There's very specific truth in liquor advertising regulations in place. There are even specific ones regarding absinthe. And not implying a drug like experience is one of them.

The TTB pretty much lets distributors and manufacturers monitor themselves for compliance.

Personally I'd like to see it continue that way.

Steve
QUOTE(Le Gimp @ May 29 2008, 12:36 PM) *
They call for shaking a mixed drink with tonic water in it, which will de-gass the tonic water and make the drink even worse.

Wouldn't that make the shaker splooge all over you? Everyone knows you don't shake tonic water (except my friend Leslie).
thegreenimp
Mixing Mata Hari with tonic water would be a waste of perfectly good tonic water.

absinthist
Irreversible waste, indeed.
Poke Salad Papa
Ya know since the green has been legalized me thinks we will get more crap than anything good. Those of us that can't afford more expensive brands from europe will have to be very careful. The better brands will never be sold here why should they ,lots of money on blown up ship rates is being made, those assholes can have their super duper absinthes , I ain't paying it. frusty.gif
Wilson
Papa, just look at the fact that there were/are/is/will be more crapsinth and crapsinthe out there now than there is good stuff, so it just figures that the ratio will stay pretty close to the same. We will still have to rely on each other. Nothing is really changing except that we can get some locally.
Kirk
I think that within the next year or so, there will be US made absinthes
on the market that will rival or surpass anything being made anywhere in the world.
There are more than a few waiting in the wings.
I also think the price will drop or remain stable in our inflationary economy.
Zman
QUOTE(Kirk @ May 29 2008, 03:48 PM) *

I think that within the next year or so, there will be US made absinthes
on the market that will rival or surpass anything being made anywhere in the world.

Let's hope so.
wink.gif
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(thegreenimp @ May 29 2008, 05:44 PM) *

Mixing Mata Hari with tonic water would be a waste of perfectly good tonic water.

It would be a waste of the actin and myacin expended by the flexing of your muscles to even lift the bottle to pour it into the glass with the tonic water.
Provenance
Diluted Form Of Absinthe Served In Ocean City

For nearly 100 years a liquor called Absinthe has been banned in America. But the government just OK-ed a water-downed version of it, and one Ocean City bar is selling it.

For $6 a drink, Bamboo Restaurant Owner Joey Capo says the drink can take you on an acid-like trip.

Capo says, "You'll see flashes, you'll see colors, you'll see things moving around that shouldn't be."

The drink is made with a liquor called Grande Absentee. In 2007, the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau legalized it. It's a diluted form of the liquor Absinthe, which can cause hallucinations. But Capo says both products have the same effect.

Capo says, "It does have the same psychotropic properties that it used to have."

Grande Absentee is 138 proof. And the owner says it's so strong, so potion, that he'll only serve three shots to a customer.
Capo says, "Small amounts kind of gives you the same effects as THC. But in larger amounts, it can cause brain damage."

The FDA regulates over all production of absinthe-based products.
Absomphe
Thank you, Joey "Capo di Tutti Crapsinth", for your money grubbing bullxit insightful commentary. cdog-plain.gif
thegreenimp
Wouldn't brain damage cause a buyer to purchase Grande Absentee? frusty.gif
Shabba53
I sent an email to the person who wrote that article and plan to visit Joey in a couple of weeks. We'll see what I find. abs-cheers.gif
Donnie Darko
Yeah, they're kind of putting the retarded cart before the retarded horse.
Provenance
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ May 30 2008, 08:39 AM) *
We'll see what I find.
In Ocean City? Probably flashers, colors, and things moving around that shouldn't be.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Provenance @ May 30 2008, 12:56 PM) *

flashers

As long as they're women, I'll be heading to OC more often.
Selmac
You're so picky.
Tibro
Not about what absinth he'll drink.
Shabba53
What I'll drink on a regular basis, yes, I'm very picky. But I'm proudly open-minded enough to try any beverage once.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.