Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hey everybody
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
Pages: 1, 2
ikarus
hello,

My first time here … not such big drinker myself but I like to enjoy a good drink on special ocasions !
So a couple of days ago I ordered a botle of King of Spirits 10ml/g. It is ok if I follow the bohemian ritual…tastes OK …. I saw the review on it from this comunity. I don't think its that bad but then again who am I to speak hence it is my first abinth.. Unfortunately this and other two czek types of abinths are the only omes imported in my country …

I wish to taste a French absinthe also! This summer I will visit Paris once again so would any of you be so kind and tell me where I could find a fine absinth shop?
Also can anyone please recomend me a good classic absinth? Not so bitter and also one that can be made with the French ritual …

thank you in advance
Marc
Hi.
The drink is called "absinthe", absinth is how we call the Czech swills.
I won't even comment on the Bohemian ritual or KOS.
There is one absinthe shop in Paris, located in Le Marais : http://www.vertdabsinthe.com/
Conte d'Ugenta
Hi Ikarus,
you couldn't find a better shop in Paris than vert d'absinthe, as Mthuilli suggested,
AND
I'd suggest you to read the FAQ; if you already did, then read them more carefully!
dom_lochet
Ditto.
Absomphe
What they said.

Tibro
QUOTE(ikarus @ Jun 2 2008, 08:07 AM) *

I don't think it's that bad

Oh, you will before this journey's over. Just heed the good advice and pretty soon you'll never want to look back.
OCvertDe
Indeed. I loved LaFee before I started posting here, four months later and I can barely drink it anymore.
Provenance
QUOTE(ikarus @ Jun 1 2008, 10:07 PM) *
It is ok if I follow the bohemian ritual…tastes OK
Absolutely. All that matters is that you enjoy it.
eric
Indeed™.
ikarus
oh, thank you everybody !
i really am looking forward to drink French quality absinthes !
=)
Steve
I'm just wondering how your username got past Admin, because we already have an "Icarus" who is Absinthe Mafia and well known to most, though he doesn't post here often anymore.
The Standard Deviant
I would assume it's because it seems to be sufficiently different in spelling not to cause confusion, and it's doubtful that it was deliberately chosen to deceive.
Provenance
Given Icarus, perhaps the admin threw in the towel.
Absomphe
QUOTE(The Standard Deviant @ Jun 2 2008, 05:02 PM) *

and it's doubtful that it was deliberately chosen to deceive.

Unless he shows up on the lounge as Drincslinger.
Steve
QUOTE(The Standard Deviant @ Jun 2 2008, 05:02 PM) *
I would assume it's because it seems to be sufficiently different in spelling not to cause confusion, and it's doubtful that it was deliberately chosen to deceive.

I assume it's just because he's distracted by real life. I know he nixed someone's name that contained "spoon".
The Standard Deviant
4bs1nthe sp00ns good pr1ces.
ikarus
Right. Sorry its my only nick that I use everywhere.
ikarus
Right. Sorry its my only nick that I use everywhere.
webweaver
Hi Ikarus,

I'm fairly new to absinthe also, and recently acquired a Duplais Balance from Vert d'Absinthe in Paris and also a Jade PF 1901 from Soho Wine Supply in London.

Both are rather wonderful when prepared in the proper fashion. I would definitely recommend them. I also tried Duplais Verte and Mansinthe during my travels, and they were quite ok also.

I hope you enjoy your journey into French Absinthes and never look back :)

Cheers,
WW
ikarus
any idea on how much tujon do these contain ?

Oh and thank you very much for the recomandations
Tibro
It's irrelevant. Unless you're a federal regulator, but then you wouldn't go by hearsay, you'd test it yourself.
webweaver
Hi Ikarus,

Thujone content really doesn't have any bearing on the quality or authenticity of the absinthe (except that if it's over 10mg/l, it's probably not authentic!)

Thujone content is just used as a marketing ploy by a lot of Czech "absinth" distributors, along with claims of hallucinogenic properties etc. which are all far fetched and ridiculous anyway.

The only reason you'd need to know thujone content personally, would be to know if the absinthe's in question comply with your local import/customs laws. Which they all should, as 10mg/l seems to be the general rule.

Hope that helps :)

- WW
Nephrite
I also recommend Doubs Mystique, my favorite so far. Welcome abs-cheers.gif
Shabba53
QUOTE(ikarus @ Jun 4 2008, 12:44 AM) *

any idea on how much tujon do these contain ?

I see you've been scouring the FAQ…
eric
Gotta love that tujone.
absinthist
I hear it's tasty.
Provenance
I heard it's the secret ingredient in absinthe gummi bears.
Absomphe
Looks like thujone made gummi bear cry.
absinthist
As long as gummi bear trips ballz and see living humans…
Conte d'Ugenta
QUOTE(webweaver @ Jun 3 2008, 09:04 PM) *

Hi Ikarus,

Thujone content really doesn't have any bearing on the quality or authenticity of the absinthe (except that if it's over 10mg/l, it's probably not authentic!)

Thujone content is just used as a marketing ploy by a lot of Czech "absinth" distributors, along with claims of hallucinogenic properties etc. which are all far fetched and ridiculous anyway.

The only reason you'd need to know thujone content personally, would be to know if the absinthe's in question comply with your local import/customs laws. Which they all should, as 10mg/l seems to be the general rule.

Hope that helps :)

- WW

Really appreciate that you try to teach a newbie on how worthless (for a consumer) Thu-jon content is, but telling that absinthe with more than 10mg/l probably isn't authentic is just dead wrong. Try to distill a fine absinthe using Pontarlier wormwood (in particular 2006 batch) with a simple alambic (I mean without rectifying stuff like Egrot's) and in a single run, and tell me if what you got is within 10mg/lt. I can assure you it will be way more than 10.
Thu-jon content depends on a lot of variables, wormwood (cultivation, terroir, weather, etc), alambic, distillation process, etc. Obviously a CO producer have to stay within the law limits (btw 10mg/lt is the US limit, in EU the limit is 35mg/lt if labelled as bitter, so 10mg/lt is not the general rule) and sometimes is able to stay way under the limits. This don't affect the fact that the finest absinthe can be either very low or close to the limit of thu-jon content, it all depends on how it's produced.

QUOTE(Absomphe @ Jun 4 2008, 08:05 AM) *

Looks like chop.gif made gummi bear cry.

"…your favorite recently legalized, possibly hallucinogenic liquor has finally made it into ursine gummi form.."

"…You'll mostly taste licorice—it's really the anise in the absinthe—…"

This makes ME cry actually…
Provenance
At least they aren't using anise-free Bohemian absinth.
Tibro
That would really be a bear to eat.
ikarus
come to think of it
i wonder if there are any bohemian gummy bears
with 100 mg/l thujon
Doctor Love

Seeing those in the store would certainly give me paws. Something tells me there would not be a group of people clawing to get them.
Tibro
Now scat. You're stinkin' up the place.
G&C
So are you.
Are you scat , too?
ikarus
Never heard of him
Tibro
In this case, G&C, the answer to your question is no. As in, sometimes a bear does not shit in the woods. But thanks for trying to stay on track by following the beary seeds. Oh wait, they're following you. That helps explain things.
Doctor Love

If someone were to eat their absinthe gummy bear very slowly, could they be said to be "nursin' the ursine" ??

Absomphe
Have you hit rock bottom, or do they worsen?
Doctor Love

If you can't bear the heat, get out of the den abs-cheers.gif
Nephrite
I'm the scat harhar.gif
Tibro
…™
Nephrite
…™
Steyr850
BM
ikarus
Hmm, what do those trademark signs represent?
Donnie Darko
JBM…. er, I mean, um, JBM™
absinthist
I hear he is still real busy.
Absomphe
You gotta stop reading those tabloids, Boggy.
ikarus
does anyone remember who i am :) ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.