Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Obsello Absenta
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Doctor Love

Just got a bottle of this yesterday, review will go up on WS before too long. Has anyone else tried it? I had a good time tasting it, some things caught me off guard, but overall I enjoyed it.

Steve
Mthuilli says eet ees sheeet! Hartsmar sent me a sample and I didn't think it was too bad. Definitely a huge step up from the other Spanish absentas.
Marc
The sample I've tasted was bad indeed. Was it the sample? The soiree?
Anyway, was too minty and far from absinthe, we were 3-4 drunkards thinking the same.
Now I need to taste it again quietly.

huge step up from the other Spanish absentas

I'd rather drink the Segarra 45 if it wasn't so fookin' expensive.
Marc
And here is the website : Obsello
Available from Spirits Corner
Steve
Segarra definitely has to be considered apart from all other absentas. It is unique. I don't know if I would like it now or not. I bought a bottle back in like 2000, when the only other ones I had tasted were Mari Mayans, Deva, and Serpis, and I didn't like it at all. But at that time I guess I had never tasted "real" absinthe. I never bought another bottle. I still wonder about it, but not enough to pay the price for another bottle.

I loved Peter's story about going to see Julien. Search for it if you haven't read it.
Marc
Tasted it again last year in Nico's den at Boveresse and I still like it. As a change.
Steve
Next year I'll look for it at Nico's then.
Doctor Love

Obsello is worth trying IMHO, I'm satisfied with the purchase. There is some mint, which probably is the most objectionable part for some, but after the initial recognition of it, it fades while some other unexpected characters come out - including a lovely mouthfeel and satisfying finish.

Tibro
QUOTE(Doctor Love @ Jun 25 2008, 07:32 PM) *

Obsello is worth trying IMHO, I'm satisfied with the purchase.

I think many things may be worth trying. Far fewer may be worth purchasing. Your advocating putting down hard cash for this one?
Doctor Love

If you're in the U.S. I would wait until it is available stateside (which it should be soon). I ordered mine from Spain and I would probably not advise paying the courier fees incurred by los monos del vuelo. I think it's worth the money to buy it domestically if you are not going to flip out about the mint. Or a sample may be an option if you're in the U.S. abs-cheers.gif

Conte d'Ugenta
I tasted Marc sample too and disliked it… It wasn't actually soooo bad, but definitely unpleasant.

I used to like Segarra 45, but the last time I tasted it (5-6 month ago) I didn't like it very much… Nico's den doesn't count, there you would like almost everything that is not a La Bleue!
Marc
True!
Specially with some green faeries around wink.gif
Shabba53
QUOTE(Doctor Love @ Jun 25 2008, 01:48 PM) *

los monos del vuelo.

I prefer the slang term volandomonos. It just rolls off the tongue. abs-cheers.gif
Doctor Love

I'm liking this stuff more and more by the day. If there's a "dessert absinthe" I think this would be it.

Helfrich
That would be kinda remarkable for an apéritif.
Doctor Love
The best things in life are often a contradiction abs-cheers.gif
G&C
I can second that.

G&C
It must be the apocalypse.

In the last few days I find myself agreeing with Speedle and Dr glove.
speedle
Mebbe it's just that we're finally coming round to your way of thinking.
Tibro
The contradiction in that is just too apparent.
hartsmar
Yeah, G&C doesn't do much thinking.
Absomphe
QUOTE(hartsmar @ Jul 2 2008, 11:57 PM) *

thinking.

You misspelled self-censorship.
speedle
QUOTE(speedle @ Jul 2 2008, 09:24 PM) *
Mebbe it's just that we're finally coming round to your way of thinking.

Nah! Must be the apocalypse.
absinthist
Like you quoting yourself? harhar.gif
Provenance
QUOTE(Spoon @ Jun 25 2008, 08:36 AM) *
Mthuilli says eet ees sheeet!

And the press release says it's soon to be available in 'merica.
Shabba53
It's on the shelves in California as of this morning.
Provenance
I'm sure that quality absinthe will push crappy absinthe off American shelves, just as was the case with beer.
hartsmar
ba-dum-tssh
lafitte
I had a few glasses of the US release obsello last night and its not bad. I didn’t find the mint to be overly dominate and is fairly well balanced.
Poke Salad Papa
Hell pour it , me and the old lady will drink it all up. w00t2.gif
dakini_painter
Glad you're back PSP. Everything ok? How's the gators?
Absomphe
Oh, snappin', as usual, I'll bet.
Poke Salad Papa
Well thank ya now for asking. Well it was touch and go for a while real high wind and rain, topped some trees and downed some too. Destroyed some docks and house boats at one of the marinas, power was out every where ours was out 4 days. But we have a generator so we lost no food and had lights, but listening to the damn noise for four days was hell. Got some of that Obsello stuff arriving today, feel like a very green evening is approaching. Oh and them gators are fine. abs-cheers.gif
Tibro
Sounds like you're one of them tough 'gators. Glad you came through it all with an appetite for absinthe.
Nephrite
CNBC - Premium Spanish Obsello Absinthe Sweeps West and East

I just broke into a bottle. In my humble opinion, the recent batch is better tasting than VdF including mouth feel.
Absomphe
"Obsello, an authentic Spanish absinthe verte, is quickly becoming recognized as the highest quality absinthe available to U.S. consumers."

Um, no.

That would almost certainly be the latest incarnations of Leopold, but thanks for playing.
Marc
Just tried it again tonight and while it's not shit as I thought last time, it's still unpleasant to me, citrusy and a bit minty, not a profile I enjoy in absinthe. A Montmartre-style absinthe, can't drink that crap anymore.
Alyssa Dyane
I really wasn't going to get a bottle of this, with the mixed reviews and all, but the liquor store down the block from me had one bottle in stock and it was cheap enough for me to try and not feel bad if I sank it ($55). It's on hold for me, and I pick it up on the way home. I am looking forward to trying it this evening, and seeing which side of the fence I sit on this one.
Zenzero
I think it's not a bad absinthe at all, you may call it different but not bad.
I like it.
Jaded Prole
That's why crap will always sell.
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(Alyssa Dyane @ Oct 24 2008, 11:39 AM) *

cheap enough for me to try and not feel bad if I sank it ($55)

Oh the cognacs, the exotic rums, gins, or top-shelf tequilas one could buy for that price. Oh the wines, the whiskies, the ambrosial liqueurs. Or you could get a bottle of Obsello to see if it's as bad as people say.
Alyssa Dyane
I know, I know. Very good point, but I have an absinthe party Sat. night to go to, and I know no one showing up has tried it. I took one for the team.
Zenzero
And so the discontented and spoiled rotten absintheurs strolled on again to continue their mission to change the bad taste of all the scum and trash that crossed their path.

I also like l'Italienne (very) it's also different and not bad at all either.
Zenzero
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Oct 24 2008, 10:42 PM) *
That's why crap will always sell.
Crap won't sell if it's real crap (and yes I know how to make absinthe)
Marc
QUOTE(Zenzero @ Oct 24 2008, 11:46 PM) *

Crap won't sell if it's real crap

You want to bet?
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(Zenzero @ Oct 24 2008, 03:46 PM) *

I know how to make absinthe

You want to bet?
Zenzero
why should I want to bet? I know I can.
Zenzero
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Oct 25 2008, 01:17 AM) *
QUOTE(Zenzero @ Oct 24 2008, 11:46 PM) *

Crap won't sell if it's real crap

You want to bet?
What's crap anyway?
MrsAbsomphe
QUOTE(Zenzero @ Oct 24 2008, 04:48 PM) *
I know I can.
Click to view attachment

It is to laugh. Or cry.

Hey, Zen, are you the clown?

---Tish looking-up.gif
Alyssa Dyane
I picked up the bottle of Obsello on my way home from work. I am drinking the glass now. I don't really object to the mint flavor, but I do object to the mint mixed with the overly citrus tones. I don't think it sucks, I won't sink the glass, but I don't see myself buying another bottle of it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.