Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Required Introduction Post
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
DRX
4. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE. Open a new thread below, and tell us about yourself - who you are, what you do, what your interest in absinthe is, when you first drank it, how long you've been interested - anything and everything that you're comfortable sharing.

I almost made the "mistake" of posting to this site without making the required introduction post. I just happened to read through a post of someone who instead of answering the poster's question, just left some comments of something to the effect of: "Still no introduction?" which I didn't understand, and also thought was quite rude.

Then reading through the rest of the thread, (and others that seemed very concerned about the person not having made an introduction) it seems that before one is allowed to ask any questions here, they are supposed to do an "introduction" post first.

So let's get this requirement out of the way.

I am from the USA, and do too many things to include in a small introductory post. All that should be important to know about me here on this forum is my interest in Absenthe.

My interest in Absinthe is:

1) Searching through all the false rumours and mythology in order to find and learn the true facts and history about Absinthe.

2) Where Absinthe accesories (glasses, spoons, fountains) can be purchased at actual stores, rather than over internet websites.

3) Where any Absinthe tastings are held.

Absinthe brings several interests of mine all together. The fanstastic Art Deco style (and green colour) in posters and advertisements relating to it, the history and story behind it, and of course the fantastic ritual that is performed before enjoying this magical elixer.

After all of this, it seems there is yet one more area of Absinthe that is almost forgotten after the excitement of all the rest, and that is the TASTE and flavour of the beverage itself.

Of course, taste is always an opinion and not a fact, and although it will be interesting to read everyone's opinons on what they consider the best Absinthes, I rarely go by rating numbers, price, or the majority opinion on a wine or Absinthe, I rely on my own trained palate to make that decision.

As with wine, I have found the ratings and numbers to be completely meaningless when it comes to my own palate, which is more tuned to taste than price or other people's opinions.

Well, that seems to be all that I feel "comfortable" sharing at the moment, so now that this requirement has been completed, hopefully I will be able to participate in the forums now.

eric
There needs to be a no whining rule in the FAQ.
Provenance
instead of answering the poster's question, just left some comments of something to the effect of: "Still no introduction?" which I didn't understand, and also thought was quite rude.

I would like to offer my deepest apologies for any rude posting you may have encountered. Please be assured that everyone here is a volunteer selflessly dedicated to answering even the most dumb ass questions with a smile.

Please direct any questionable postings to this distinguished forum member who loves dealing with noobs who don't PTFA.
eric
cdog-plain.gif
Wild Bill Turkey
Hi
I think your local customs are rude, and I'm already fed up with you people, but here's my intro anyway.

I don't feel "comfortable" telling you where I am, but I want my questions answered about where local stores and absinthe tastings can be found, so please simply list every store and gathering in the country for me, thanks.

Plain2.gif
absinthist
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jun 30 2008, 12:35 PM) *

Please direct any questionable postings to this distinguished forum member who loves dealing with noobs who don't PTFA.

And who does it with courtesy, personal charm and lots of love. And quite effectively.
Tibro
I'll have to imagine how dopey this one is. The responses were entertaining enough to realize I didn't want to read the intro.
thegreenimp
You can always feel the love here: The Louched Love Lounge
Steve
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Jun 30 2008, 02:06 PM) *
Hi
I think your local customs are rude, and I'm already fed up with you people, but here's my intro anyway.

I don't feel "comfortable" telling you where I am, but I want my questions answered about where local stores and absinthe tastings can be found, so please simply list every store and gathering in the country for me, thanks.

Plain2.gif

I am so glad Bill finally got a new computer so he could post that! That made my day. We missed ya Billy Boy!
speedle
thought was quite rude

Apparently he hasn't read quite enough around here yet.
Marc
DRX, sorry, but we get easily bored this days, must be this new US legalization thing we've heard of.

I guess Oxy could close the doors now, we're replete, enough fresh meat to play with.
Doctor Love
QUOTE(DRX @ Jun 30 2008, 01:10 PM) *
All that should be important to know about me here on this forum is my interest in Absenthe.

Heh, that's like going out on a first date and saying "all that should be important to know about me is my interest in women (or men as the case may be)."

Don't be silly, the point of a community is to share a bit about who you are, which will give context for your perspective and opinions.

If you just want drab facts and no personal interaction you don't need to visit the message boards at all, there are some very comprehensively written information pages here and on other sites.

Feel free to ignore the reviews if you want, but I wouldn't advise it. There are lots of expensive, bad absinthe brands out there that are not worth buying just to taste, especially if someone else has already done the favor for you and posted a review about it.
Conte d'Ugenta
QUOTE(DRX @ Jun 30 2008, 12:10 PM) *

Of course, taste is always an opinion and not a fact, and although it will be interesting to read everyone's opinons on what they consider the best Absinthes, I rarely go by rating numbers, price, or the majority opinion on a wine or Absinthe, I rely on my own trained palate to make that decision.

As with wine, I have found the ratings and numbers to be completely meaningless when it comes to my own palate, which is more tuned to taste than price or other people's opinions.

So guess a sommelier is a smart guy paid for nothing uh?

And concerning the other noob guy, there's a section up there called "absinthe buyer's guide", the answers to his questions are there. If someone doesn't want to do the "effort" to search before asking and to introduce himself to the community before asking too, why someone here should be willing to waste his time answering to such a lazy and leechish person?
Absomphe
QUOTE(DRX @ Jun 30 2008, 01:10 PM) *

I rarely go by rating numbers, price, or the majority opinion on a wine or Absinthe, I rely on my own trained palate to make that decision.

Golly gee willickers, you really oughtta conduct absinthe tasting classes, and charge a hefty fee for them, to boot.

I know that all of us unfortunates who weren't blessed with a seasoned palate like you must possess, would be more than thrilled to enroll,… dipxit..
SoulShade
Sounds like your palate might just be unique enough to not be remotely similar to anyone else's.
If it were remotely like anyone else's I'd say you'd be a fool not to heed reviews and the many informed opinions here, but this sounds like a very unique situation.
Welcome to the forum.
Poke Salad Papa
Dat boy needs some poke salad.
dom_lochet
QUOTE(SoulShade @ Jul 1 2008, 02:50 AM) *
Welcome to the forum.

You misspelled "fray".
sixela
QUOTE(DRX @ Jun 30 2008, 09:10 PM) *

Then reading through the rest of the thread, (and others that seemed very concerned about the person not having made an introduction) it seems that before one is allowed to ask any questions here, they are supposed to do an "introduction" post first.

"One" does not agree with "they". I already find "they" as a gender neutral singular pronoun grating in most circumstances, but here it's just grate [sic].

Actually, the main requirement is to wipe your feet at the door and to refrain from behaving like a pompous ass who is somehow "due" something without having earned any respect.

And if you are a pompous ass (like I am), it's best not to take yourself too seriously. Self-depreciating humour can alert people to the fact they shouldn't take your pose at face value. Lack of it, well,…
Helfrich
QUOTE(sixela @ Jul 1 2008, 11:57 AM) *

it's best not to take yourself not to seriously.

What's this? Freudian double negative and a lacking o-rificial signifier?
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Poke Salad Papa @ Jun 30 2008, 11:22 PM) *

We got sommadat for him right ovah heah…
Doctor Love

I've heard the U.S. Declaration of Independence was written with fermented pokeberry juice, don't know if that's true or just urban…er, rural legend!

Absomphe
QUOTE(Poke Salad Papa @ Jun 30 2008, 08:22 PM) *

If we wanna be as happy as you seem to be at 71, I think we could all use a heapin' helpin', Jerry. abs-cheers.gif
Poke Salad Papa
Doc Love it sure was and dats a fact.

Absomphe I thank ya for that , seems I have had enough adventures to cover two life times. But the best adventure of all is what I am experiencing right now as I walk the trail of all you folks will someday, all I can say is don't be scared , enjoy what ya got , enjoy yur pleasures
and if ya have a mate it is all the better. I don't worry bout a thing hell I am too old to die young. abs-cheers.gif
Nymphadora
QUOTE(sixela @ Jul 1 2008, 01:57 AM) *

QUOTE(DRX @ Jun 30 2008, 09:10 PM) *

"One" does not agree with "they". I already find "they" as a gender neutral singular pronoun grating in most circumstances, but here it's just grate [sic]

See, I was right. Six is already flinging 'improper pronoun antecedents'! harhar.gif
Tibro
I love it when you talk dirty, Nymph.
speedle
It's just his way of flirting.
Tibro
Finger'd you notice flirting that doesn't involve you.
Nymphadora
Hmmm………I guess now would be the time I reveal I'm acually a knuckle-dragging male with a hairy back. Smoochies!
sixela
Then who's on the Pictures?

Nymphadora
Are you really a toaster?
Wild Bill Turkey
DRX
I think we could all see from the beginning that you were going to be an obnoxious fuckwit with a shitty attitude. It's the reason we got started being rude to you right away.

Just in case you feel justified in being an asshole because we didn't respond well to you early on, I'll just say Garbage In = Garbage Out.

Look through the other intro threads and you'll see we've been very welcoming to lots of other newbies, just not to you. What's the difference?

It's all about you, baby.

Flame away with your responses to this note, by the way, I won't be checking back to read them.
MrsAbsomphe
DRX: Well, you've certainly done a "GRATE" job so far since your arrival.

Why don't you try to become part of the community by sharing your absinthe experiences? What have you tried? Did you enjoy it/them?

Otherwise, you will be treated as nothing more than ambient noise…clearly there, but not anything that needs to be acknowledged.

(Oh, and it is really bad form to disrespect the senior and most respected forum members…you just end up looking like an Click to view attachment.)

Try again, dude.

---Tish looking-up.gif
Marc
QUOTE(MrsAbsomphe @ Jul 2 2008, 03:34 AM) *

ambient noise

I like this definition.
sixela
QUOTE(Helfrich @ Jul 1 2008, 11:31 AM) *

What's this? Freudian double negative and a lacking o-rificial signifier?

You must have misread.
speedle
I see that, since I left the scene last night, the cavalry has arrived and hopefully put the King of the Dumass out to pasture where he belongs. Perhaps he'll never darken our door again? abs-cheers.gif
Doctor Love

Is it safe to call the carpet cleaners and have them get to work on all the mud that was tracked in over the past couple days?

Jaded Prole
Dweebs like him don't disappear that easily.
Hopefully soon though.
The Standard Deviant
Art Nouveau, actually.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.