Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maybe I'm the last one
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Donnie Darko
Maybe I'm the last one to hop on this train, but everyone should check out Pandora.

For the first time, artificial intelligence has become as good of a DJ as a human. You just put in the name of a couple bands you like, and it comes up with your own personalized radio station, and lo and behold they managed to play literally dozens of songs I loved that I had forgotten about, without me telling them that I even liked those bands.
The Standard Deviant
Grate.

Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S.
SoulShade
I'll check it out Donnie, this isn't the first time I've heard it mentioned.
G&C
Our music license requires our listeners to be United States residents, which is why we require your US zip code during registration. We are working as fast we can to make Pandora available internationally.
Wilson
Just use Kentwood, LA 70444. It's Britney's zip code. O.K., it was also my zip code when I was growing up.

Going to check it out now.
Wild Bill Turkey
You weren't the last one, Donnie, I must have been. I'm aboard now, though. It's too good to be true. Does it cause a rash or something?
Tibro
I enjoyed it greatly before I got the error message that the Deviant shared. It's an intelligent way to listen to radio like in-coming interference.
Provenance
I have this peculiar old fashioned preference for discovering favorite songs/musicians/bands through recommendations from friends, magazine articles, random scans of titles and such rather than algorithms. Most objectionable is the notion that because I like a given musician's work, I would like someone else who has a similar "style." I listen to Miles because of his genius, not because of the various styles he worked in.

Pandora is another example of narrowcasting, encouraging ever more tightly defined listening habits. Instead of Pandora, pick something at random or try listening to someone you have never heard whether the Carter Family, Fugazi, Lenny Breau, Jimmy Raney, Blossom Dearie, Sam Myers or Anonymous 4.
Donnie Darko
I like to do it both ways. I've found Pandora useful more as a DJ of things I already own or as a source for songs of bands I like but don't own much by. But I still go hunting for random stuff and get things based on recommendations from friends. My taste is too eclectic to narrowcast on Pandora anyway.

My iPod has Ice Cube's "The Predator", Berliosz's "Symphonie Fantastique", Steve Reich's "Drumming", My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless", Zeppelin's "In Through the Out Door", Metallica's "Master of Puppets", some of Clifford Brown's live stuff, Sonny Landreth's "Route 66", The Cure's "Faith", Sonic Youth's "Daydream Nation", Einsturzende Neubauten's "Kollapse" and Dr. Gerald Cizadlo's Anatomy and Physiology lectures. Staying within a style isn't something I can do, but I have found a few small bands via Pandora that I love that I never would have heard of otherwise.
G&C
…™

Provenance
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jul 5 2008, 06:18 PM) *
Staying within a style isn't something I can do
Don't work as a station programming director, do you?
Donnie Darko
Ha, not anymore. I used to be a night DJ at a classic rock station, but I would only play whole albums. If it didn't stay within a certain style for an hour it was the band's fault.

I can't really listen to Dark Side of the Moon anymore though…
G&C
Wish You Were Here is better anyway.
Absomphe
Here's looking at you, Syd! Vampire2.gif abs-cheers.gif
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(G&C @ Jul 6 2008, 10:25 PM) *

Wish You Were Here is better anyway.

True. Whenever I'd do the album nights though I'd get so many requests for Dark Side that if I didn't play it people would call the manager the next morning and complain. I played Wish You Were Here once and nobody even acknowledged it. Usually I'd get at least one drunk and stoned crazy motherfucker calling up and saying "Duuuude, that was badass you played that" when I played Dark Side, but nobody cared with Wish You Were Here. I also played Final Cut (I brought in my own copy, the station didn't even have it) once and the manager told me not to do that again because he didn't want listeners committing suicide. They got bought by a conservative talk radio station about a month after that and the manager got canned, so I had the last laugh.
G&C
Universe in balance.
Doctor Love
WYWH is easily one of my top 10 favorite albums. Truly timeless. And unlike other "favorites" that you feel obligated to give praise due to how much you loved them at one point in time, with WYWH it is one I never tire of listening to. I like Dark Side also, but there are parts that are a touch tiresome and I don't find myself coming back to it over and over.

Marc
Wish You Were Here is the best Floyd album with Animals.
Final Cut is really bad, just a Waters album.
Tibro
Umma Gumma is the best Floyd album with acid.
G&C
A Saucerful of Secrets
Marc
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jul 7 2008, 07:27 AM) *

Ummagumma

QUOTE(G&C @ Jul 7 2008, 08:09 AM) *

A Saucerful of Secrets

Cor Rec Ted.
Rimbaud
I'm partial to Piper at the Gates of Dawn & Meddle.

QUOTE(Absomphe @ Jul 6 2008, 10:57 PM) *

Ah, Syd!

I love Syd.
Provenance
Dark Side of the Moon was mostly a rip off of Maggot Brain, right down to the heartbeat.
Rimbaud
Eddie Hazel is awesome.

I dunno about DSOTM being much like Maggot Brain, though. One makes me wanna lie down on the couch in the dark, the other makes me wanna get up an' move!
Absomphe
QUOTE(Rimbaud @ Jul 7 2008, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Absomphe @ Jul 6 2008, 10:57 PM) *

Ah, Syd!

I love Syd.

I'm not surprised.

My post may have seemed like non sequituur, considering that Floyd would have never taken the diection they did, if he had been able to keep his xit together, and remain the band's leader.

However, considering how many later Floyd songs seem to revolve around him, I don't think his influence ever really waned.
Provenance
QUOTE(Rimbaud @ Jul 7 2008, 07:52 AM) *

Eddie Hazel is awesome.
Hell yeah!

I dunno about DSOTM being much like Maggot Brain, though. One makes me wanna lie down on the couch in the dark, the other makes me wanna get up an' move!
Listen to both albums in a row. The mood is different but many of the specific stylistic elements in Moon had predecessors on Maggot Brain.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jul 7 2008, 11:34 AM) *

Dark Side of the Moon was mostly a rip off of Maggot Brain, right down to the heartbeat.

More like influenced by. Maggot Brain was somewhat improvised too (part of what makes those guys awesome). DSOTM was more "produced". But yeah, the style is similar. I guess anybody with an echoplex and a penchant for arpeggios and feedback ripped them off.

It's kind of like saying the soundtrack for Star Wars was a ripoff of Stravinsky's Right of Spring, or Danny Eflman's entire film score repertoire was a ripoff of Bernard Hermann's score for Fahrenheit 451. One cannot escape their influences.
Provenance
After all, nobody would consider "borrowing" from George Clinton without proper attribution.
Rimbaud
I have to confess, I'd rather listen to this than any of 'em:

IPB Image
Donnie Darko
I'm not too keen on the idea of exclusive ownership of a musical idea. Of course there are a lot of shit bands out there that rip people off without giving them their due, but it's also possible for more than one person to do things musically similar to one another just because they happen to be aiming for the same stylistic target (or perhaps they've hired the same producer). The Cure's "The Walk" and New Order's "Blue Monday" have a nearly identical bass line and synth drum rhythm, but I don't think either band stole it from the other.

Clinton is brilliant because he has managed to come up with song after song that makes a lot of people's ears perk up and say "damn, that is great music", but I think Floyd has enough innate talent that they can also do that, and by the nature of their stylistic bent, it's inevitable that they would come up with something that sounds like Maggot Brain. Maybe they did steal it, or maybe they'd never heard it before and thought a heartbeat would be cool in a song, which would be no surprise given their incorporation of other sound effects in their tracks. I like to give good artists the benefit of the doubt.
Doctor Love
Donnie, thanks for turning me on to this site, I have been quite enjoying it. I'm not an iPod fanatic type, I'm not consumed with specific song lists, I just want to hear the songs in the right vein to match my mood. I love variety, I love the surprise aspect. It's great!

As a give back, if anyone would like a feed of something to listen to while going to sleep in the evening, I recommend the Cryosleep feed from Bluemars.org, I've made several sleep CDs off it, very relaxing, it's great.

grey boy
QUOTE(Rimbaud @ Jul 7 2008, 03:41 PM) *

I have to confess, I'd rather listen to this than any of 'em:

IPB Image

So would me and Glassy.

In fact I have a first press copy of it on vinyl,
bought it 20 years ago for $15, still sounds great.
Pataphysician
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jul 7 2008, 08:23 AM) *

After all, nobody would consider "borrowing" from George Clinton without proper attribution.

"My tunes are like Lays potato chips, nobody can have just one. And I'm holding the bag!" - George Clinton
Rimbaud
GB,

I've got this vinyl 2-record set, released in 1974, which contains both The Madcap Laughs & Barrett:

IPB Image
Doctor Love

Did anyone else see the Pink Floyd documentary where a corpulent and fully-shaved Syd shows up unannounced at the recording studio in 1975 when they were in the process of recording 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' which just happens to be about Syd himself? Really weird stuff, Syd must have been drinking a lot of chop.gif
Rimbaud
There's a photo from Syd's WYWH visit in Nick Mason's book.
grey boy
Sweet record Rimmy.

I've only got Barrett on tape and CD,
must dig up a vinyl copy.
Rimbaud
Plenty on eBay.
grey boy
Yea,
but then I don't have the joy of spending more than I have whilst browsing a record shop.
Provenance
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jul 5 2008, 02:12 PM) *

Maybe I'm the last one to hop on this train, but everyone should check out Pandora.

Mebbie a little late for that….
Doctor Love
What a bunch of bullshit, I listen to this site every day now.
Zenzero
Seems I've been missing out on some stand up comedy lately.

Like on Dennis Miller for instance.

Any of you got any suggestion about anything similar or even funnier than this?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.