Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack London on the Subject of Absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
Absinthesizer
And so it was that I reached the Marquesas the possessor of a real, man's size thirst. And in the Marquesas were several white men, a lot of sickly natives, much magnificent scenery, plenty of trade rum, an immense quantity of absinthe, but neither whisky nor gin. The trade rum scorched the skin of one's mouth. I know because I tried it. But I had ever been plastic, and I accepted the absinthe. The trouble with the stuff was that I had to take such inordinate quantities in order to feel the slightest effect.

--From his dypsomaniacal memoir John Barleycorn, chapter XXXII
Jaded Prole
And what's wrong with taking inordinate quantities?
Donnie Darko
That third glass, where you see things as they truly are.
Kirk
Or the third match, after which
I realized that my problem was not
in failing to see, it was in failing to understand the significance of what I saw.
OCvertDe
Humorous, yet profound, Kirk.

But you already knew that.
Kirk
An old man I knew could recite Robert Service from memory, he claimed that Jack London was just a pen name for Robert Service, anyone ever hear that myth? What was Jack London's real name?
The third match was always one of my favorites.
Same old guy claimed he invented the slinky and the bird that sits on the side of a glass and perpetually sips.
He and his family owned a company that developed machines that form steel by vibrating it intensely.
I grew up thinking Jack and Robert were the same person.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Kirk @ Apr 30 2010, 08:57 AM) *

What was Jack London's real name?

John Griffith Chaney.
thegreenimp
Harry Houdini boinked Jack London's wife. (She's sitting at the right)

Click to view attachment
Absinthesizer
QUOTE(Kirk @ Apr 30 2010, 09:57 AM) *

An old man I knew could recite Robert Service from memory, he claimed that Jack London was just a pen name for Robert Service, anyone ever hear that myth? What was Jack London's real name?

That's very unlikely. First, Jack London (his real name, although he was born John) was the biggest literary celebrity of his era, and was known all over the world, which makes it difficult to be a pen-name. Second, he wrote voluminously - a thousand words a day until alcohol ruined his constitution. (A list of London's works here.) For somebody to write their own works, and London's, would be astounding (even given the fact that much of London's work could stand a good re-write, something he almost never did).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.