Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marie Claude Delahaye...
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
Deluge
My question concerning the of availability MC Delahaye's books in English seems to have gotten lost under the massive amount of posts in another forum. Does anyone know if they are available? lemur.gif
Deluge
Well I was lucky enough to find 3 of her books at the University of Minnesota library. I guess it will just take some time to sift through them with a French/English dictionary. Thanks anyway! absintheglass.gif
lysistrata
No. They're not. Sorry!

(but you're awfully lucky to have a library that even has her books! I just ordered L'Cuilleres from France...)
Deluge
The University of Minneasota has a ton of Absinthe related material! The even have archival material that dates ack to the 1880's. If anyone is interested have your library contact the U of M and order anything through inter-library loan.
Conju
My reading schedule is all stacked up with Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Then its back to the absinthe when I get a break.
Pastor Parsley
The University of Minneasota has a great collection of material. I live a few hours northwest of Minneapolis and inter-library loan foreign films (not vhs or dvd...the actual films on the reel!) from them weekly.
Deluge
You can't go wrong with inter-library loan! w00t2.gif
Cheers and Welcome absintheglass.gif
Pastor Parsley
QUOTE (Deluge @ Jan 15 2004, 11:35 AM)
Cheers and Welcome absintheglass.gif

Thank you biggrin.gif
Conju
Are you really a pastor, because that would suck, what with the moral sins and all...
Absomphe
Conju: Don't you worry...I'm sure Pastor Parsley is a Pastor sorta like the Reverend Justin on Carnivale, so sins won't be too much of an issue!

Or do I ASSume too much , Pastor? dev.gif
Wolfgang
Wow, that is very impressive... I mean for them to have such kind of material in a foreign language !

There's probably a librarian there who strangle a parrot once in a while if you see what I mean...

Les Cuilleres is an interesting reference book but not the most interesting to read unless you'r a collector (in fact there's not much text in it). So far my favorites have been ''Absinthe muse des Poètes'' and ''Absinthe Art et Histoire'' (a superb full size hard cover book full of color pictures, a real rare piece of collection today).

Which one did you get from the university library ?
Wolfgang
And I must also add that you have all my respect for being such a dedicated absinthe enthousiast who's willing to read a book on the subject with a dictionary in hand to translate it word by word !
Deluge
These are the books that I have now, the university has many more with references to absinthe.

1 L'absinthe : son histoire / Delahaye, Marie-Claude. book 2001

2 L'absinthe, muse des peintres / Delahaye, Marie-Claude. book

3 Absinthe, the cocaine of the nineteenth century : a history of the hallucinogenic drug and its effect on artists and writers in Europe and the United States / Lanier, Doris. book 1995

4 L'absinthe : histoire de la fée verte / Delahaye, Marie-Claude. book 1983

5 Rose petals and absinthe. Hoadley, Julian Michael, book 1967

6 Le tabac : l'absinthe et la folie. Galopin, Augustin. book 1886

I own a few other books on absinthe as well by Bettina's, Conrad, and the book of Absinthe by Phil Baker. I hope to get the Myth Is Always Green in my next LDF order!

sleepy.gif My eyes get pretty tired going back and forth from the dictionary to the page harhar.gif absintheglass.gif
Absomphe
Deluge:

Nice little absinthe library! w00t1.gif
Pastor Parsley
QUOTE (conju @ Jan 15 2004, 04:42 PM)
Are you really a pastor, because that would suck, what with the moral sins and all...

Rest assured, I have no religious affiliations whatsoever. dev.gif

Conju: Don't you worry...I'm sure Pastor Parsley is a Pastor sorta like the Reverend Justin on Carnivale, so sins won't be too much of an issue!

Or do I ASSume too much , Pastor?

One downside to living in 'the country' is I have no television, so I've never seen Carnivale. (Hence the importance of inter-library loan.) I sin regularly and find it quite satisfying. yes.gif I don't care what anybody says, anything that feels that good can't be bad.
Absomphe
Pastor Parsley:

What a splendid M.O. for living...splendid indeed dev.gif
Conju
That last comment reminded me of a joke:

A rabbi and a priest were sitting in a resteraunt. And the priest asks the rabbi "Does your faith still abstain from pork?" and the rabbi answered "Yes we do." and the priest asks the rabbi "Have you ever broken that rule and indulge yourself in it?" and the rabbi said "well I am ashamed to say that one day I did break down and eat a ham sandwich." They sat there for a while and said nothing. Then the rabbi asked the priest "does your religon still practice celibacy?" and the priest answered "Yes we do." and the rabbi asked the priest "Have you ever broken your commitment to the faith and indulged yourself in sex?" and the priest said "I am ashamed to say that I have." and they sat there for a while and said nothing. Finally the rabbi said to the priest:
"Beats the hell out of a ham sandwich huh?" dev.gif dev.gif
Absomphe
Conju:

That wasn't even bad...it may be time to check for pods! dev.gif
I_B_Puffin
So who's going to translate them into English? I would but my French is very poor.
Deluge
At the rate I am going I will be done in the year 2017 harhar.gif
Sponge Bob
I guess it will just take some time to sift through them with a French/English dictionary. Thanks anyway

Deluge, what I do when I need to translate French, is to use the Google language tool and type in a paragraph or two and let Google do the translating. I have translated several chapters of books I own this way.

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en
Deluge
Wow! that is a great tip. Thank you!
Maldoror
And check her "L´Absinthe Dictionnaire des marques" mainly pictures of old absinthe
brands and not much text. Markus has copies of this great book!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.