Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Chivas (or other USA teams) supporters on here?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Corn Hole
hobgoblin
If so what do you make of Chivas goalkeeper Brad Guzan? He's coming to us this coming season, i.e Aston Villa (subject to work permit).

Darko, you seem like a man who would like football (or soccer as you call it over there). Any views on him?
Donnie Darko
You're right, I love watching football but I almost never follow it here just because of not having enough time. That and I'm too preoccupied with baseball, I really suck at following more than one sport at a time. You'd be in heaven on my block here because there's like 3 pubs that broadcast the games live and everyone in there is from the UK, but unfortunately those games all happen while I'm at work. If I can't watch a sport live then I don't watch it, and American football/soccer is barely covered on TV here in the US.
hobgoblin
There are now 4 American goalkeepers playing in the English Premier League now.

For a league that is not viewed as being up to much, by international standards, you do produce some reasonable goalkeepers (and they're a bargain buy for a manager wanting to spend his transfer budget wisely).
Donnie Darko
Hey, we should be proud to be a farm system for the UK. Kind of like how the Dominican Republic is the farm system for US baseball. I guess truth be told, if you're dedicated enough to be a US soccer player, you're not doing it for the fame or money, so you're probably just doing it because you love it, which could make some great players.
Pataphysician
I have an Arsenal scarf.
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Pataphysician @ Jul 16 2008, 03:30 PM) *

I have an Arsenal scarf.

Shame on you!

Still it could be worse I guess, it could be a Liverpool scarf.
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jul 14 2008, 07:59 PM) *
I guess truth be told, if you're dedicated enough to be a US soccer player, you're not doing it for the fame or money, so you're probably just doing it because you love it, which could make some great players.

Very true.

Unlike European players (English players being no exception to this) who over recent years have fast become greedy, money-grabbing, bastards, with no sense of loyalty. There is no point in any fan having any players name on the back of their football shirt anymore, because the player is more than likely to jump ship as soon as more money or fame is offered by another club; no sense of loyalty whatsoever.

And when a club tries to hold the player to the contract (that the player willingly signed) they complain that they are being hard done by. Ronaldo claims Man United are treating like a slave! Well I wouldn't mind being a slave like Ronaldo, getting paid his wages (£140,000 per week).
G&C
Slave wages, indeed.
Pataphysician
QUOTE(hobgoblin @ Jul 18 2008, 09:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Pataphysician @ Jul 16 2008, 03:30 PM) *

I have an Arsenal scarf.

Shame on you!

It was cold in London that day and I remembered that in Johnny Rotten's autobiography he was enthusiastic about Arsenal. That's all the thought that went into the purchase. So, what's the profile of an Arsenal fan?
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Pataphysician @ Jul 19 2008, 03:54 PM) *

So, what's the profile of an Arsenal fan?

I don't actually dislike Arsenal all that much. Their fans are a bit boring and stupid, but at least they don't steal your hubcaps like Liverpool fans, and they're not usually arrogant wankers like Man Utd fans (most of whom have never set foot in Manchester).

What do you call a fly inside an Arsenal fans head?
A Space Invader.
Pataphysician
Oh crap. I didn't associate Johnny Rotten with boring and stupid.

Soon after, I was wearing the scarf in Edinburgh. There was a sign on a pub that said: "No football colors allowed". Made me feel at home -- just like gang-colors in the US!
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Pataphysician @ Jul 19 2008, 10:58 PM) *

Perhaps he's a closet Man United fan?

To be honest Arsenal fans are OK really. But don't go around wearing a Liverpool scarf or you are likely to be arrested (and quite rightly so) on suspicion of shoplifting.

As for American goalkeepers, Aston Villa are now bidding for a 2nd American goalie, Brad Friedel (currently playing for Blackburn Rovers). At age 37 he's a couple of years off retirement, but a cracking goalie. I guess O'Neill's (our manager) idea is for Guzan to be Friedel's understudy for a season or two.

The snag now is if Guzan doesn't get a work permit, which happened when we tried to get him in January.
grey boy
QUOTE(hobgoblin @ Jul 18 2008, 12:29 PM) *

Still it could be worse I guess, it could be a Liverpool scarf.

Xit, I have 2 of those.

Along with a Crystal Palace one and my Pride and Joy, Leyton Orient!

Guzan is real good, strong positional sense and quick reactions,
he should do well in England.
Should be an interesting battle between him and Friedel.
The Standard Deviant
Crystal Palace is the local team here. I would never have expected to hear them mentioned by a foreigner, or even someone outside the area! My interest in football is little though.
grey boy
I'm weird that way.

Saw a match there about 8 years ago,
two of their defenders had a punch-up after allowing a goal,
I've been a Palace fan since.
hobgoblin
QUOTE(grey boy @ Aug 10 2008, 05:46 AM) *

I don't see any contest there I'm afraid. Guzan will very much be Brad Friedel's understudy. Brad Friedel was a legend at Blackburn Rovers and he is fast heading that way here at Villa, even after only playing 3 games for us. Martin O'Neil's plan is to have Brad Friedel train up Guzan over the next couple of years. Friedel retires in 3 years time (he'll be 40 then) when he's going to set up a goalkeepers academy in the USA.

Brad Friedel is a top bloke as well. When he signed for us he was at Villa Park before our Odense game chatting to fans and signing autographs, a really nice genuine guy. He didn't go back into the club building until every last autograph had been signed, and then on his way back in some kids called over to him and he came back out so they could have their photos taken with him. Most players would just walk in and pretend they hadn't heard.

Friedel is a BIG presence on the pitch, he takes command. He keeps the defenders well in line and bollocks them if they fuck up. He isn't afraid to come out at strikers and his reactions are close to perfect. I reckon just having him play for us will get us extra 10 points on his efforts alone.
grey boy
QUOTE(hobgoblin @ Aug 15 2008, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(grey boy @ Aug 10 2008, 05:46 AM) *

I don't see any contest there I'm afraid. Guzan will very much be Brad Friedel's understudy. Brad Friedel was a legend at Blackburn Rovers and he is fast heading that way here at Villa, even after only playing 3 games for us. Martin O'Neil's plan is to have Brad Friedel train up Guzan over the next couple of years. Friedel retires in 3 years time (he'll be 40 then) when he's going to set up a goalkeepers academy in the USA.

Brad Friedel is a top bloke as well. When he signed for us he was at Villa Park before our Odense game chatting to fans and signing autographs, a really nice genuine guy. He didn't go back into the club building until every last autograph had been signed, and then on his way back in some kids called over to him and he came back out so they could have their photos taken with him. Most players would just walk in and pretend they hadn't heard.

Friedel is a BIG presence on the pitch, he takes command. He keeps the defenders well in line and bollocks them if they fuck up. He isn't afraid to come out at strikers and his reactions are close to perfect. I reckon just having him play for us will get us extra 10 points on his efforts alone.

Friedel knows how to play the game, on and off the pitch.
When he played against New England we taunted him all match,
he then came over to talk to one guy wearing a Turkish club kit, just
to compare his experince there, and loved the taunting.
He loves the game and wil be and asset to your club, and a great leader for other keepers.

I wasn't sure of how they had it setup there.
But if Guzan is the understudy for a few years he wil then be the USA #1 for many.
Kirk
QUOTE(Pataphysician @ Jul 19 2008, 05:58 PM) *

Soon after, I was wearing the scarf in Edinburgh. There was a sign on a pub that said: "No football colors allowed". Made me feel at home -- just like gang-colors in the US!

Except for the dyeing part.
Provenance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rteKaMgHzOg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.