Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: La Coquette
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Absomphe
This stuff is flat out delicious.

The aroma, both neat, and louched, is very spicy (rather than floral), and the taste matches the aroma. It's very clean, and balanced throughout, and there's some really nice wormwood in the finish.

It's very clean, with an attractive yellowish-green shade, and a very full louche that was slow to form, and then a tad too abrupt when it did, but that's about the biggest quibble I had with it. Well, that, and maybe the aroma could have been more room-filling.

Despite being a Devoille offering, the La Coquette reminded me of what I was hoping from the second batch of Belle Amie.
OCvertDe
And I was going to pass on this…

Thanks Stompy.
Absomphe
No problem, OCD.

Let's say you owe me one.

So, when you leavin? harhar.gif
OCvertDe
Now that I've discovered what a resource you are? No time soon.
Rimbaud
Go Luc, GO!
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Jul 29 2008, 07:12 PM) *

Despite being a Devoille offering, the La Coquette reminded me of what I was hoping from the second batch of Belle Amie.

They got the alambics, it's all about how you use them (and who uses them). Based on what I'd heard of La Coquette from a limited tasting at Verte D'Absinthe, and the knowledge it was from the creator of Belle Amie, I couldn't say no.
Doctor Love

My bottle just got here today, am anxious to try it this evening. Never got in on the Belle Amie the first time around, but hopefully will when it comes in this fall.

Rimbaud
La Coquette is the new bomb.
Wild Bill Turkey
No wonder they wouldn't let me on the plane with it.
Bruno Rygseck
So you had to empty the bottle before security control?

Rimbaud
Ha!
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Doctor Love @ Jul 30 2008, 04:10 PM) *

My bottle just got here today, am anxious to try it this evening. Never got in on the Belle Amie the first time around, but hopefully will when it comes in this fall.

How does that happen? I order it about 5 minutes after the email announcing its availability lands in my inbox, you probably do the same thing. I'm 6 hours closer to London than you are, and you get it first. Those flying monkeys took a wrong turn…
hartsmar
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jul 30 2008, 11:57 AM) *

and the knowledge it was from the creator of Belle Amie, I couldn't say no.

just not the same distillery...
Rimbaud
DD, he may have ordered from Luc directly, as I did.
Doctor Love

Yes I navigated the half-English half-French interface to get it sooner rather than later. I was worried that it might be another limited run like Belle Amie since people were speaking highly of it and didn't want to miss the boat. Sounds like it will be around long-term though, so that's good, assuming I like it.

Absomphe
QUOTE(hartsmar @ Jul 30 2008, 02:50 PM) *

just not the same distillery…

Which one can easily discern from the bigger louche, and mouthfeel.

This one is not only beautiful, she also isn't a tease.

G&C
Where's the fun?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Jul 30 2008, 11:52 PM) *

This one is not only beautiful, she also isn't a tease.

That was honestly my main complaint with Belle Amie. It had a lot going for it, but lacked oopmh. It's nice to hear this lady is a bit more worldly….
Absomphe
If anything, at just a tad under 3:1, LaCoquette's louche, and mouthfeel were a bit too thick for my taste, and while not really too hot, the spiciness was a bit over the top.

When I tried a second glass at about 3.5:1, everything really opened up, from the color, which became an attractive minty green, to the aroma, and flavor, which revealed a beautiful softer floral aspect to compliment that spice. Even the louche improved, revealing a lovely opalescence. Unlike the Belle Amie, which has very rigid louching parameters (too little water, and it's too hot, and too much, and it turns dishwatery) the La Coquette is a hardier minx.
Absomphe
QUOTE(G&C @ Jul 30 2008, 09:20 PM) *

Where's the fun?

Allow me to rephrase.

She's a tease who really delivers the goods in the end, so to speak.
Donnie Darko
My opinion is split on this absinthe. It's a half-improvement over Belle Amie, combined with a half-regression. The improvements are the more assertive color, fruitier anise presence and really lovely mouth feel. The drawback is a somewhat weaker aroma, less of a wormwood presence (though still noticeable), and unfortunately what seems to be a coloring step pushed a bit too far. There's a slight earthen and grassy undertone to the taste and aroma which suggests overdone coloring, and I think that distracts from the pluses of the drink. There is a really nice lemony thing around the sides of the tongue though which I haven't tasted in another absinthe, and it isn't too citrusy.

I think if this lady and Belle Amie got together for a little forbidden romance and the product was the best of both of them (the fantastic aroma/wormwood/balance of Belle Amie and the rich mouthfeel and citrus of Coquette), then I'd have my favorite absinthe.

It has the best label ever though, and it's certainly a competent product, exponentially superior to anything else that has come out of the DeVoille distillery thus far.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Aug 1 2008, 09:14 AM) *

I think if this lady and Belle Amie got together for a little forbidden romance and the product was the best of both of them (the fantastic aroma/wormwood/balance of Belle Amie and the rich mouthfeel and citrus of Coquette), then I'd have my favorite absinthe.

Maybe a little mixing from each bottle is in order? Heretical as that may seem.
Marc
Luc just told us that the La Coquette is the first absinthe from the "Les Parisiennes" serie (from the Devoille distillery and supervised by Luc). Each will come from a different historic recipe.
Rimbaud
Yay!
Rimbaud
When's the second installment?
Heure Verte
Only time can tell, she needs rest for now wink.gif
hartsmar
Is this made as the other Devoille absinhes, by distilling each herb individually and then blended?
Heure Verte
Yes it is. And I wanted a very light filtering - almost unfiltered - (in France and switzerland, some vendors just HATE when absinthe is not completely filtered !) and a couple of special other things I won't tell here wink.gif .
They are growing their own wormwood fields by the way, just around the distillery.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Aug 1 2008, 06:14 AM) *

…and unfortunately what seems to be a coloring step pushed a bit too far. There's a slight earthen and grassy undertone to the taste and aroma which suggests overdone coloring,

The Belle Amie coloration step was pushed even farther, and that grassy undertone was even more present.

I also noticed that citric component, and find it lovely, as well, and yes, the wormwood comes across as less assertive than in the Belle Amie, although I'll bet the level is similar, and that some of it is muted by that fruitier anise, and the spiciness.
Donnie Darko
Nah, Belle Amie didn't have that earthy murk that is present in the Coquette. The color for Belle Amie was also lighter, so there's no way it could have been pushed further. Now that I know that Coquette is practically unfiltered, the grassy tinge may be due to that (actually what it really tastes like is a bit too much lemon balm in the coloring, which almost always results in what I am tasting). Filtration can take the edge off of some of the more astringent aspects that can come out of coloring. I'm really surprised it's made by the blended distillate method, as it's far superior to anything else I've had that was made that way. I'd love to try a Coquette done as a whole distillate.

Of course I think that also explains why Coquette isn't as artfully balanced as Belle Amie. The floral balance of Belle Amie still has yet to be equaled in another commercial bottling. The way the wormwood seamlessly traipsed back and forth between the floral aspects of the other herbs in there was really lovely. But the louche, creaminess and fruity tones of Coquette are impressive, especially for a blended product. It's good, I'm just picky.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Aug 1 2008, 11:57 AM) *

The color for Belle Amie was also lighter, so there's no way it could have been pushed further.

I couldn't disagree more. My bottles of Belle Amie were quite a bit darker. I'll post a pic later today.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Aug 1 2008, 08:57 AM) *

Nah, Belle Amie didn't have that earthy murk that is present in the Coquette. The color for Belle Amie was also lighter, so there's no way it could have been pushed further.

The color of Belle Amie was an olive green/amber that was similar to the not "very green" color of the PF1914.

The contents of my bottle of La Coquette are a subdued peridot, with yellowish highlights, and definitely a lighter shade than the Belle Amie.

However, (I believe it was Shabba, over at WS) mentioned that a year old Helfrich Verte was very dark, and nearly matched the color of the La Coquette.

Two other members over there posted photos, and one looked more like the description of mine, while the other looked much darker.

I'm beginning to wonder if there aren't significant variances between bottles, although why this should be, I haven't a clue.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Aug 1 2008, 08:57 AM) *

The floral balance of Belle Amie still has yet to be equaled in another commercial bottling.

Agreed, and also agreed regarding Belle Amie's aroma, which is still the best of any commercial absinthe released thusfar.
Heure Verte
I understand that Belle Amie and Coquette has to be compared but in fact, there is no "technical" commun point between these absinthes : the only one is that I chose intriguing formulas (never used before in modern Co's) from old books with the idea of travelling in time ! The formulas are different, as the production process, the distillery, the distiller, the wormwood plant, the base alcohol, the age (Belle Amie needed 1 year to become a lady, Coquette is a youngster and is ready) etc ; it would really be astonishing that Coquette looks like Belle Amie. Perhaps they are cousins, not sisters. But yes, it's good to discuss wink.gif
Doctor Love

Well I know precisely jack shit about distilling, but I do know this Coquette is very tasty, well done sir! abs-cheers.gif

abs-cheers.gif (that second one's for you Rim)

Rimbaud
Die.
Kirk
abs-cheers.gif
Jaded Prole
Well I know precisely jack shit

Agreed.
speedle
Showin' DL the love.
Absomphe
Put your little friend away, Speedle, okay?

Doctor Love

Love you too Jaded Ahole heart.gif
Kirk
You sure know how to make an impression on just the right people.
Instead of standing around whining about getting no respect why don't you do something that deserves a little?
Provenance
To dream the impossible dream…
Doctor Love
QUOTE(Kirk @ Aug 3 2008, 07:42 PM) *

You sure know how to make an impression on just the right people.
Instead of standing around whining about getting no respect why don't you do something that deserves a little?

Funny you say that, I was just trying to compliment someone on an absinthe I have been enjoying very much before JP decided it was a good time to start flinging poo. Instead of standing around whining about me, why don't you discuss the subject matter at hand? What are your thoughts on La Coquette Kirk? Believe it or not I'm genuinely interested in your opinion on it.
Marc
I'm surprised you're still posting here DL, after all the endless critics you've made about FV over at WS.
G&C
It's not the only one.
Zenzero
Can the unterpuppe join this discussion?
Doctor Love

QUOTE(mthuilli @ Aug 3 2008, 11:13 PM) *
I'm surprised you're still posting here DL, after all the endless critics you've made about FV over at WS.

I'm hoping if I stick around long enough the natives will stop trying to eat me! But I'd rather we keep the thread on topic, imho Coquette deserves it. It has a creamy nature that reminds me of some of the Jades but deeper herbal character that is more like Verte de Foegerolles. I wasn't sure what to expect when I ordered it, but I'm very satisfied!

speedle
DL, I think after a while they do stop trying to eat you. Part of the trick is to know when to head gently given wisdom, and when to snipe back to try and keep up with the big boys. Sometimes I'm still not sure I've got that part though. There's only one person here that I have any negative feelings about, after almost 3 years.

In any case, I also, still, can't afford to buy any of Luc's stuff, but vicariousness has its advantages.
Shabba53
QUOTE(speedle @ Aug 4 2008, 10:15 AM) *

There's only one person here that I have any negative feelings about, after almost 3 years.

Well screw you too. harhar.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.