Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greetings from a newcomer to absinthe and to this forum.
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
Pages: 1, 2
NataliaLaLoca
Hello all,

I’m an artist based in Michigan and a newcomer to absinthe. After a lifetime of curiosity, I’ve finally taken the plunge and ordered a bottle of Duplais Balance, based on the positive reviews in the Absinthe Buyer's Guide. (My first choice was Duplais Verte, but absinthe.de prevented me from ordering it, saying it couldn’t be shipped to the U.S. because it was over 70% alcohol.)

The bottle arrived in three days flat, and I had my first glass the other day. I loved everything about it, from the aroma that wafted from the bottle as I popped the cork to the louching ritual to the very last sip. I’m already wondering what to try next.

I'm very pleased to have found this forum and look forward to further exploration of this exquisite beverage.

Best wishes,

Nathalie.
Nymphadora
Welcome
Kirk
Welcome to the fray.
Absomphe
Greetings.
Donnie Darko
Greetings and salutations. I like the avatar.

You're coming into the absinthe world at just the right time, where there is actually decent commercial offerings, and promising domestically made stuff on the horizon. A lot of us had to slog through a lot of dreck to get to this point.
Tibro
Welcome. Tell us more about your artistic pursuits. Should I infer from the avatar that you're a painter?
Marc
Welcome Nathalie.
Glad you read the buyer's guide and liked the green fairy at first sip, and it's only the beginning, a lot of different aromas and flavors are waiting for you, absinthes are so different and complex from one to another.
Next you could try a good Bleue (Clandestine for example) and another green not produced by Matter just to see the differences in flavors.
absinthist
Welcome and have fun while exploring the neverending world of the green muse.
Conte d'Ugenta
Welcome! Nice intro, nice avatar, and what a breath of fresh air is to see a polite person, and an artist too, after a bunch of arrogant and stupid newbies!
OCvertDe
Indeed, welcome!
dom_lochet
QUOTE(Conte d'Ugenta @ Aug 4 2008, 10:55 AM) *

Welcome! Nice intro, nice avatar, and what a breath of fresh air is to see a polite person, and an artist too, after a bunch of arrogant and stupid newbies!

Ditto!
dakini_painter
Hi!
Doctor Love
Good choice on the Duplais as a starting point Natalie, I find most the absinthes from that same distiller tend to have a similar character, so don't feel too bad about missing out about the Duplais Verte, I'm sure you'll get a chance to taste it later.

You may be able to find some absinthes available locally if you have a good liquor store in your area. They won't be quite as tasty as the Duplais you've had, but the price will be a good deal lower as well. As you'll probably find, enjoying absinthe can become expensive! Both Kübler and Lucid are available widely, and are decent, but I'd advise steering clear of Grande Absente and Le Tourment Verte, which are often marketed as absinthe but really are not. When in doubt, check the buyers guide prior to buying to save yourself some disappointment!

In any case, welcome to the forum, it's an interesting place.
Rimbaud
Welcome, Natalia!

Just took a look at your MySpace. Nice stuff, especially "The Couple."
Rimbaud
As for absinthe, I suggest trying the Doubs Mystique.
Jaded Prole
Welcome to our obsession.

Nice artwork.
Steve
Welcome to the forum, Nathalie! I hope you enjoy it. I like your artwork.
Shabba53
Welcome! Are you from Sevilla? I love that city.
NataliaLaLoca
Thank you all so much for the kind words! I'm delighted at the level of participation on this forum.

mthuilli, Doctor Love, Rimbaud: thank you for the suggestions regarding other absinthes to try. They will definitely inform my next purchase. In a way, I'm glad I waited as long as I did: I can see that there is much more and better to choose from than when I began exploring absinthe several years ago.

Tibro, in answer to your question, my artwork generally consists of drawings in colored pencil these days. Most of my work could be considered surrealist and/or symbolist, replete with 19th century aesthetics and with forms found in nature. In case it isn't obvious, my avatar is a detail from one of my recent drawings. My website (www.nwinans.com) is still under construction; for now, you can see samples of my work on my Myspace profile (www.myspace.com/natalialaloca).

Shabba53: No, I'm not from Sevilla, but I lived there for two years. I remain obsessed with Andalusian culture (oh yes, absinthe is but one of my many obsessions) and continue to visit relatively often. My dream is to live there again one day…hopefully not as an illegal immigrant.

Best wishes,

Nathalie.

Donnie Darko
QUOTE(NataliaLaLoca @ Aug 4 2008, 02:55 PM) *
I remain obsessed with Andalusian culture

Some of the best Absinthe distillers are obsessed with Andalusian Anise.

Saw the myspace page. Cure fans are always welcome as far as I'm concerned.
NataliaLaLoca
[Some of the best Absinthe distillers are obsessed with Andalusian Anise.]

I'm kicking myself for not having tried it. The Spaniards with whom I associated during my time there were stuck on J&B, Jack Daniel's and Cruzcampo beer, so I never got around to trying anís.
Shabba53
QUOTE(NataliaLaLoca @ Aug 4 2008, 02:55 PM) *

Shabba53: No, I'm not from Sevilla, but I lived there for two years. I remain obsessed with Andalusian culture (oh yes, absinthe is but one of my many obsessions) and continue to visit relatively often. My dream is to live there again one day…hopefully not as an illegal immigrant.

Ditto, but Madrid for me. And I'm obsessed with Castellano culture. We're going back in October. We spent a lot of time in Sevilla when we were living over there. Such a great city. But a bit hot in the summer.

La Sartanilla de Espana is certainly a fitting nickname.

Next time you're over there, try Zoco too. An interesting twist to anisado.
Jaded Prole
I've never been there but I love Spanish food. They have the best olive oil as well as anise!
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(NataliaLaLoca @ Aug 4 2008, 03:32 PM) *

[Some of the best Absinthe distillers are obsessed with Andalusian Anise.]

I'm kicking myself for not having tried it. The Spaniards with whom I associated during my time there were stuck on J&B, Jack Daniel's and Cruzcampo beer, so I never got around to trying anís.

I actually mean the herb itself, not the drink, though perhaps Spanish anis uses Andalusian green anise seed. It was touted back in the day by Pernod Fils as being the best quality anise seed to use.
NataliaLaLoca
Ditto, but Madrid for me. And I'm obsessed with Castellano culture. We're going back in October. We spent a lot of time in Sevilla when we were living over there. Such a great city. But a bit hot in the summer.

October's a great time to go to Madrid. The best time to visit Sevilla is in March, when the orange trees are blossoming but before the furnace heat, summer pricing and waves of lobster-tinted tourists arrive. Either way, the exchange rates for us yanquis are punishing these days blink.gif

Bruno Rygseck
Welcome, Natalia! Duplais Balance was a good choice, and I agree with Rimbaud about Doubs Mystique.

I have been to Madrid once, it was in November 1990. In the evening we went to a bar that had a brass plaque stating "Hemingway never ate here".

-BR-
NataliaLaLoca
I actually mean the herb itself, not the drink, though perhaps Spanish anis uses Andalusian green anise seed. It was touted back in the day by Pernod Fils as being the best quality anise seed to use.

I wouldn't be surprised. I know there are a few different makers of anís or anisado in Andalucía, although when I was there in the late '90s, the most visible such beverage was Anís del Mono, which is made in Catalunya. (They used to market the Mono--monkey--mascot as an anthropomorphic, vaguely creepy cartoon character at that time, á la Joe Camel.) Anise also figures strongly in lots of desserts in Sevilla, like the wonderful tortas de aceite by Inés Rosales.
Shabba53
I love those things! Every time we go back, I head to the closest Corte Ingles and buy those to snack on in the apartment. So tasty!
Nephrite
QUOTE(Rimbaud @ Aug 4 2008, 07:14 AM) *

As for absinthe, I suggest trying the Doubs Mystique.

+1 and welcome!
Marc
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Aug 4 2008, 08:04 PM) *

Cure fans are always welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Same for Siouxsie and the Banshees, Christian Death (early period with Rozz), Joy Division, Bauhaus, Cocteau Twins and a few others in her list.
NataliaLaLoca
Same for Siouxsie and the Banshees, Christian Death (early period with Rozz), Joy Division, Bauhaus, Cocteau Twins and a few others in her list.

I confess, I'm a bit of a goth evill.gif

Of course, I tone it down in polite company.

Donnie Darko
It is interesting how individuals with those particular tastes in music are often drawn to Absinthe. At the time it was a popular working class drink because it was a cheap good-tasting drunk. I guess it was the artists whose exaggerations of its creativity enhancing effects, and its subsequent stigmatization as a mysterious bad-for-you drink that gave it a seductive image among those who have an appreciation for the darker side of things.
Provenance
I like music and absinthe but could never understand goth (what's with the eyeliner anyway?). Oh well. Welcome.
Leopold
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Aug 5 2008, 10:09 AM) *

It is interesting how individuals with those particular tastes in music are often drawn to Absinthe.

Seems to be true. It's too bad that we closed down our pub in Ann Arbor, Natalia. Judging from your myspace page, you would have loved the jukebox. I even had a 4AD section for a few months during the winter of 04….Wolfgang Press, This Mortal Coil, Coc. Twins, His Name is Alive, etc.

Haven't heard the band X Mal Deutschland mentioned in years.

Love your art.
Marc
4AD… brings back memories…
While I listen to different musical styles now (getting older?) I still go back to this type of music from time to time, specially Joy Division and Bauhaus.

Oh and you're a talented artist indeed Nathalie.
Leopold
As a kid, Joy Division and Bauhaus were where it was at. I have all of both bands albums on Vinyl, and even have all the side projects….Tones on Tail, Love and R., Jazz Butcher, and, of course, New Order. Rare is the day that goes by at the distillery that we're not listening to an album from at least one of the above bands.

Back then as a young delinquent in the States, there was no internet, and very little info. was available on the bands. But at the time, as a kid who hated living in suburban America, it seemed like London was the center of the Universe.

Turns out I was right.
NataliaLaLoca
It is interesting how individuals with those particular tastes in music are often drawn to Absinthe. At the time it was a popular working class drink because it was a cheap good-tasting drunk. I guess it was the artists whose exaggerations of its creativity enhancing effects, and its subsequent stigmatization as a mysterious bad-for-you drink that gave it a seductive image among those who have an appreciation for the darker side of things.

I would guess that has a lot to do with it. Absinthe has always been somewhere in the multifaceted picture of fin-de-siecle culture that has fascinated me ever since I saw the animated Edward Gorey opening to PBS's Mystery as a child. The first instance I can recall of seeing absinthe connected with goth culture was the short story "His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood," by Poppy Z. Brite, which I ran across while living in Spain. In it, the protagonists stumble upon a cache of pre-ban absinthe while robbing a New Orleans tomb. Not great literature, as I recall, but the image of a forbidden beverage from beyond the grave was (pardon the pun) intoxicating.

But the time, as a kid who hated living in suburban America, it seemed like London was the center of the Universe.

I think this factors in as well. It's interesting how people sometimes react to the bland, sanitized, suburban banality that has held sway in America for the last fifty years or so.

I'm glad (and not at all surprised) that so many of you share my musical tastes.

And thank you for the compliments! I've been drinking absinthe while drawing lately. I couldn't truthfully say it makes me more "lucid," but it sure tastes good abs-cheers.gif

Nymphadora
Liked your site. With my blonde hair, I never could pull off goth. I'm more of a dark hippy.
Rimbaud
I am a tree made of air!
Donnie Darko
HA!

I never did the Goth social thing very well, though I liked the fashion/music/art. I went to some Goth club in Atlanta a long time ago called Nocturnia to see this band Lycia, and bumped into some girl accidentally. I apologized, but she hissed at me like what was in her mind either a cat or vampire. I had a hard time taking any of it seriously after that.

I think the most satisfying thing about being Goth was how friggin easy it was to terrify puritanical suburbanites. Yeah, the smell of clove cigarettes, black clothes and being depressed is really scary. Give me a break.
hartsmar
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Aug 5 2008, 02:01 PM) *
fashion

blink.gif
NataliaLaLoca
I never did the Goth social thing very well, though I liked the fashion/music/art. I went to some Goth club in Atlanta a long time ago called Nocturnia to see this band Lycia, and bumped into some girl accidentally. I apologized, but she hissed at me like what was in her mind either a cat or vampire. I had a hard time taking any of it seriously after that.

lol…hissing. Typical goth affectation. Using "goth" and "social" in the same sentence is a contradiction in terms biggrin.gif

I was just listening to Lycia the other day. Great stuff.
Rimbaud
I bark at kids on the street sometimes.
Donnie Darko
I hump their legs sometimes.
Absomphe
I pee on them sometimes.

I also beg for treats from fire hydrants.
Doctor Love

And all of this is prior to eating them?

Rimbaud
You can't bark at a child after eating it.

That's an absurd notion.
Tibro
Wuvy guy's never lived in the Wormy Apple. He doesn't fully understand the meaning of life.

Damn, it's like I've already sniffed your all your sphincters and have known you for ages.

Woof.
Rimbaud
I only have one sphincter.
Tibro
You're only one asshole. Queenie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.