Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Edouard latest batch colour
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
brucer
Has anyone else had some of the latest batch of Edouard, that we have been waiting for the last few months ?

I may be suffering from false memory syndrome, but I remember Edouard having a fantastic, vibrant, Emerald Green colour, which was clearly noticeable when louched.

The bottle of Edouard that arrived the other day did not seem like that. It was noticeably less coloured than Coquette, say, and when louched was almost white.

Are my memories of Edouard from eighteen months ago romantically enhanced, or is the latest batch not the same in colour ?

NB It tasted fine !!!

Bruce
Absomphe
Your memories are accurate, Brucer.

The color of the original Jade Edourad was one of (if not the) most beautifully deep, and vibrant greens of any commercial release. At the time, it seemed almost too vivid to be all-natural, but it was.
EdouardPerneau
I've found one picture from an nov '05 bottle :
IPB Image
Donnie Darko
Interesting. Edouard has always been the color benchmark for me. It didn't lose much brilliance with age either. Do you have pics of the new batch? I wonder if the hyssop has issues from previous batches.
Doctor Love

I have one on order, I'll post a pic when it arrives.

EdouardPerneau
Sorry Donnie, I don't have one .. I have taken this one from heure verte forum
Green Baron
Since December, I've had 3 bottles of Eduoard, all from the Sept. 2007 batch. All them had a medium/light amber-olive shade, and louched a medium amber with maybe a hint of green.

Nothing at all like EP's picture. I've not had any earlier batches to compare to.

I've also had 2 bottles of VS (I'll believe they were dated Sept. 2007 as well, but I'll have to check), they were both light lime-straw/amber, rather than the green I've seen mentioned in the reviews.

The 2 bottles of PF1901 I've had were been the greenest Jades I've experienced, displaying a medium olive shade.

Edit: They all tasted really good to me tho!
Shabba53
This pic is from October of 2007. The Eddy in the pic was from early 2006, I believe.

Click to view attachment
EdouardPerneau
I don't think that it will get feuille morte at all so thinly green yellowish at best
absinthist
Flawed colouration? Hmmm… Looks better than this below, though:

brucer
I haven't had Eddy for about 18 months due to poverty. Before that I had 3 bottles over about 18 months. In each case I was absolutely bowled over by the colour, aroma, and taste. This time I am not.

I attach some photographs. Sorry about their quality, the daughter took them with her mobile phone. The lighting is constant, even if it looks uneven, that really is the absinthe that is uneven. The colours are trash, of course, but I have put Coquette next to it as a comparison.

Coquette on the left, latest batch of Eddy on the right.

OK How do I add a jpg ? I tried Add Attachment, but it said it was too big. It's only a small photograph.
Add Image does not work, it wants a URL, whateve that is.

Bruce
absinthist
Use imageshack or shrink the image with PhotoPaint, PhotoShop, anything.
Donnie Darko
Divergence in appearance doesn't concern me as much as problems with taste, aroma, etc. A premium priced product should show reliable consistency. I can't comment on the latest batches, haven't had them, but if there is a consensus that the latest bottlings are not what one expected given previous bottlings, then that is a legitimate complaint.
Green Baron
Shabba's pic seems about in line with my Edouard experiences, I remember it being maybe half a notch more yellow.

Curiously, my PF1901 and VS color experience would match the pic if they were switched.
absinthist
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Aug 12 2008, 02:16 PM) *

This pic is from October of 2007.

I knew you would post it tongue.gif

Here's today's session-wide array of absinthe colours.
Alan
A normal day at the office …
brucer
I attach some photographs. Sorry about their quality, the daughter took them with her mobile phone. The lighting is constant, even if it looks uneven, that really is the absinthe that is uneven. The colours are trash, of course, but I have put Coquette next to it as a comparison.

Coquette on the left, latest batch of Eddy on the right.

Bruce
EdouardPerneau
Is the edouard a kind of yellow pale green ?
Nymphadora
Last photo looks like grapefruit juice.
Shabba53
Or muddy water.

Not to be confused with Muddy Waters.
Rimbaud
Thanks for introducing us all to that obscure blues musician.

Shabba53
Very obscure. I'm sure no one here has ever heard of him.
Rimbaud
spam_laser.gif
Shabba53
guillotine.gif
Doctor Love
abs-cheers.gif
Rimbaud
cdog-plain.gif
Absomphe
County fair food.

Yum!
brucer
Is the edouard a kind of yellow pale green ?

Cheap cameras, paint-shop, etc. .. it's no longer "true colour", but you can see enough to see it is not the awe inspiring emerald that Edouard used to be.

What colour is it ? My wife and daughter say it is "peridot", whatever that means.

Bruce
absinthist
Um, no. Doesn't look as peridot. More in the vein of lavee raw sienna or ochre, not a shade a green tinge at all.
Donnie Darko
Does it taste and smell the same as before?
brucer
The cheap camera, paint shop etc. have changed the colours. It is greener and less yellow.

Whatever the hue, it is far thinner and less bright than the Eddy of the old days.

How does it taste ?

Well, at first I was deeply disappointed. I thought Coquette far better. At the second tasting, I changed my mind. I shall do a third tasting today, and attempt mature reflection.

Two years ago I was gob-smacked by Eddy. It was revelatory. It was awe-inspiring.

Due to poverty, I have been without absinthe for over a year. I realise that awe-inspiring revelations cannot be repeated. But I thought enough of it back then to buy a second, and then a third bottle, as soon as I thought I could afford it.

I shall post again soon.

Bruce
Doctor Love

Just opened by bottle, definitely not peridot, more of a golden green. Damn tasty though!

Rimbaud
QUOTE(brucer @ Aug 15 2008, 02:51 PM) *

I shall post again soon.

We can't wait.
Le Gimp
So what would one get if one were to split the first 40% of the distillate in three equal portions and use one third for each of the three coloration herbs at 50 degrees C for a few minutes?

Hyssops - Bright green ?
Lemon Balm - Emerald Green ?
Atermesia Pontica - Murky Chromium yellow?

Anyone ever tried this?

Green Baron
I did a search for it, but no luck- thought I remembered reading a post talking about how some of the Jade secondary maceration herb sourcing had changed, resulting in a different color, but supposedly better taste.
absinthist
QUOTE(Le Gimp @ Aug 19 2008, 06:49 PM) *

Anyone ever tried this?

1st-pontica, 2nd-hyssop, on the 60% base:

Le Gimp
Hmmm, my hunch was close. Thanks.

brucer
Any news as to why the latest Edouard is not the same colour as the old Edouard ?

Bruce
Rimbaud
No.
absinthist
How should we know what is regarded as "proprietary and confidential"?

And attempted answer: coz the colouration has been skrewed.
Absinthesizer
I recently had some Edouard from the March '08 distillation, which I got for some friends of mine. The color was indeed disappointing. Fortunately, I'd read this thread and hadn't talked up its fabulous color, so THEY weren't disappointed. Compared to what they'd had before (Trenet), Edouard both looked and tasted great.

The absinthe world has been in a such a steep upward trajectory for the past few years, it's odd to have something decline, even if only a little.
G&C
Colour ain't everything.

In fact it may be nothing.
dakini_painter
OMG my world has been turned upside down.

I thought vertes were green.

I've been so disillusioned all this time…
G&C
I said the color may be nothing.
Not the coloring step.
Absomphe
QUOTE(G&C @ Nov 11 2008, 06:09 AM) *

In fact it may be nothing.

Indeed.

The ocean isn't really blue, and the moon isn't made of green cheese, either…maybe.

brucer
Glass of Eddy last night, as an aperitif. Smooth, creamy, subtle, fragrant. Wonderful aftertaste, which lingered all night, after supper, after a pint of Hophead; and again this morning. I can still remember it as I now drink my Rosehip and Hibiscus morning tea.

I wasn't gob-smacked by it though; but, if I had never tasted real absinthe, I would have been.

It has improved since opening, I think.

Bruce
hdtv00
Well got my bottle had a glass and I agree WOW, it's almost piss yellow rather than green.

IPB Image
Donnie Darko
Well, either the quality of the ingredients is not what it used to be in terms of the chlorophyll it imparts…
OR
aging in a solera system can do that, since it's plausible some of the absinthe that contributed to that color is 3 years old.

Out of curiosity what is the date on your bottle? That doesn't mean that's how old the absinthe is, it only means that was when it was bottled. FWIW Feuille Morte is not an undesirable color in an absinthe, I think the problem is we were all used the eye-popping color Edouard had when it was new.
Shabba53
That's what I was thinking too. Maybe the bottles have been aging.
hdtv00
If date is on back label it says MARS 2008
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.