Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: San Francisco Chronicle: Domestic Absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
Pages: 1, 2
Steve
Domestic Absinthe: The green fairy strikes again August 15, 2008.

A second California absinthe, Crispin's Superieure, a 45% abv blanche, due to be released in October. includes lemon verbena, rose geranium, lavender and calendula flowers in addition to lemon balm, hyssop and wormwood (what about anise?). ($80/750ml bottle; $40/375 ml)

Leopold Bros. ($76) should be available at BevMo etc. shortly.

Vieux Carré (around $55) from the maker of Bluecoat gin, Philadelphia, should also be available in October.

Sirene absinthe verte (around $60): they are working on California distribution.

Trillium absinthe ($60) currently only available in Oregon.

Jaded Prole
frusty.gif

More off the wall crap.
They might as well distill Lillet Blanc and label it Absinthe.
Rimbaud
Fuckweasels!
Doctor Love

Let's hope the anise is "assumed."
speedle
Butt you know what they say about assuming. Look what the track record is so far.
Doctor Love

Perhaps they felt they needed to "out-weird" Lance?

Donnie Darko
There are too many brands to keep track of these days, gotta wade through a lot of detritus to find the gems. I had no idea legalization would produce such an absinthe making frenzy, but I guess too much is better than not enough. And there are more and more import brands popping up too, just got some email about promethee from Markus, got another one about a small batch Canadian brand. It's all enough to drive a fella to go back to drinking bud light (which will be the only thing I can afford by the end of the year and probably for the next 9-10 years).
Shabba53
I'm guessing the Promethee is the result of prototype 36.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Doctor Love @ Aug 15 2008, 08:18 AM) *

Let's hope the anise is "assumed."

You know what happens when you "ass"u"me".
Donnie Darko
Promethee is unaged to boot (though I guess since it's a proto I'll cut them a little slack). You'd think by now with the growth of the absinthe market, customers wouldn't have to pay to do the distiller's job for them and properly age their absinthe. Aging makes a huge difference, it's pretty lame I even still have to say that. The top makers care, Doubs and the other Pernot products are all well aged. What is everyone else's problem? $100 for a bottle including shipping and I have to wait 3 months after buying it before it's going to taste right? Maybe we should start charging lab rats for the privilege of being research subjects too?
Rimbaud
I agree & I'm not buying it. Fuck that shit.

PABST BLUE RIBBON!
Tibro
Sadly, there's always some douchebag who'll buy a couple bottles.
Shabba53
Not this douchebag. I don't know a thing about this one, so I'm not going to splurge.

I'll hope for a sample to review, though. And if it's good, I'll buy some at that point.
absinthist
I know who's behind it and certain aspects sound very promisin'. When I get a sample, I will tell more.
Steve
Interesting. Maybe I will go for a small bottle when it becomes available.

By the way, another absinthe appeared on the BevMo website today: Obsello absenta. I'll have to revisit the sample I have but mthuilli says eet ees sheet.
Shabba53
It's 'meh'. Not great, not terrible. It's definitely tailsey (sp?) though. I wish I could have tasted the batch before they made the changes with the mint. I heard it was quite good then.
absinthist
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Aug 15 2008, 12:27 PM) *

It's definitely tailsey (sp?) though.

For a moment I saw "tansy". Whisky can be very deceivin' to perception.
Kirk
Hah!
You tansied colored glasses crazy fucr you.
slp
You have my word - the prométhée is not a Proto neither a result of a Proto.

When I started my trainee-year at the Matter-Luginbühl Distillery I got Olivers permission to work on a personal experiment.
I wanted to produce an Absinthe which is not based on any historical recipe nor did I want to recreate anything I ever drunk. Some of the used Herbs are mentioned in the newsletter.

The Absinthe Prométhée is only available in the limited quantity of 333 bottles.

Bruno Rygseck
This douchebag probably will order a bottle at some point. I mean if we are talking about Promethee. And Obsello, too (thanks Hartsmar for the samples!).

Sorry for straying off the topic, Spoon. Sorry to hear that some king of crapsinthes, or at least poorly made ones, are emerging also in the U.S.

Edit: I meant to say 'kind of crapsinthes'.
Jaded Prole
It sound interesting but it would be better if it were aged a few months before going to market. A lot can change in a few months.
Shabba53
QUOTE(slp @ Aug 16 2008, 03:51 PM) *

You have my word - the prométhée is not a Proto neither a result of a Proto.

Interesting. The description of the Proto 36 was very similar to the description of the Prométhée. My appologies.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Bruno Rygseck @ Aug 16 2008, 04:29 PM) *

This douchebag probably will order a bottle at some point. I mean if we are talking about Promethee.

I think the original douchebag comment was regarding Crispin's. At least, that's how I was thinking when I replied.
Provenance
QUOTE(slp @ Aug 16 2008, 11:51 AM) *
I wanted to produce an Absinthe which is not based on any historical recipe nor did I want to recreate anything I ever drunk.

Originality is easy, perfection is not.
Tibro
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Aug 17 2008, 01:22 AM) *

regarding Crispin's

There's very little assurance, or even hope, that this is even absinthe. But hope springs eternal in some peo douchebags.
Shabba53
Not really.
Tibro
I wasn't referring to the hopeless douchebags, obviously.
Shabba53
Obviously.
Leopold
This is just my opinion, but I think that you're going to find that the vast majority of American Absinthes are going to have 'off-book' ingredients. Nature of the distillers. And many like using herbs that are readily available locally….Slow-food movement, and all that.

I have loads of respect for the distillery that Crispin hailed from…..Germain-Robin. That's a fine, fine distillery, IMHO. Together with Clear Creek, they put US brandy/eaux-de-vie on the map, IMHO.

I'm really beginning to think that those who cherish the traditional Absinthe category need to get the TTB to have one Standard of Identity for Absinthe, and one for Traditionally Distillled Absinthe. Severely curtail the ingredients for the latter, and provide minimums for Anethole and Fenchone. I think that there's a possibility that the TTB would buy it, assuming that the Big Distillers didn't make a fuss (which is unlikely).

Just an opinion.

Jaded Prole
While I would like to see an official designation of what herbs at minimum a liquor should contain to be labeled as "Absinthe" and very loose requirement for the primary flavor profile to be Anise and Wormwood, I would not want overly strict limitations. There are already too many rules and too much micromanagement. As discerning as I am in my desire for actual absinthe, I say "Let a Hundred Flowers Bloom."

Tibro
In my opinion there are already too many liquors manufactured in Europe which have the word absinth(e) on the label and bear little resemblance to any liquor we'd consider honoring with that name. There needs to be some delimitations.

"Let a Hundred Flowers Bloom"? Some flowers only attract flies, not bees, because they smell like rotting meat or even excrement. So, I guess, you're saying, in essence, let the flies drink shit.
Leopold
Oh, I'm not saying that distillers should be handcuffed….I'm just saying that it may be beneficial to have two separate designations. In one, you can go nuts, and use what you wish. In the other, you are limited to traditional ingredients, and a minimum of anise and fennel. I think it'd be pretty neat. FV and WC have gone to great lengths to find and preserve the traditional recipes and methods. I don't think that it would hurt to see the tradition continued, and for the consumer to know what is, at a minimum, in the bottle.
Tibro
QUOTE(Leopold @ Aug 17 2008, 07:51 PM) *

FV and WC have gone to great lengths to find and preserve the traditional recipes and methods.

I'm interested in the recipes for La Fée Verte. It's the WC recipes that bother me.

My apologies, Leopold.
Jaded Prole
Though I like the variety that Absinthe can entail and don't want that overly restricted, I think for a liquor to be called Absinthe it should be required to have, at very least, an anise/fennel Wormwood profile. A certain degree of complexity and creativity are good but to be successfully creative at making absinthe, you have to first be able to make a traditional absinthe competently. I'm all for variety but I strongly object to throwing any herbal combination into a liquor and calling it "Absinthe." If it doesn't have an anise/fennel Wormwood profile, call it something else. Those who want to make absinthe should first become familiar with what it is by sampling traditional brands and studying what's been done. An absinthe inspired liquor is not necessarily absinthe and to call it that is misleading.

There does need to be a legal definition, just not an overly strict one.
OCvertDe
*cough*

Le Tourment Scope?
Leopold
QUOTE(Tibro @ Aug 17 2008, 11:59 AM) *

I'm interested in the recipes for La Fée Verte. It's the WC recipes that bother me.

My apologies, Leopold.

Whoops. I meant the WSoc. Not WC…whatever the heck that is.

JP, in the end, I'm not sure it matters. I think that the Big Distillers would fight the addition of a "traditional Absinthe" SOI to the bitter end.

Just thinking out loud.
Tibro
WC = Water Closet. Common European euphemism for the toilet. Freudian slip.
Leopold
Ah, Tibro.

As usual, I'm a day late, and a euro short.
Tibro
Just turn up the music, you're always listening to something good. It'll make you feel better.
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(Leopold @ Aug 17 2008, 11:32 AM) *

I think that the Big Distillers would fight the addition of a "traditional Absinthe" SOI to the bitters end.

Sure, why nitpick? Absinthe is really just a mixer for cocktails, anyway.

IPB Image
Helfrich
Ha!
OCvertDe
ACK!
Donnie Darko
You're just saying that because you probably already own a bottle of it.
OCvertDe
?

And here I was thinking that was a photochop.
Absomphe
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Aug 18 2008, 03:57 AM) *

thinking

You misspelled…

I dunno, but something.
Rimbaud
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Aug 17 2008, 05:25 PM) *

Absinthe is really just a mixer for cocktails, anyway.

Hmmm…I feel like I've heard that somewhere before.
Rimbaud
Oops, double post.

Here, have a donut: Plain2.gif
Absomphe
What, no corn dog with that?

Damned inflationary cutbacks!
Rimbaud
I was attempting to be sweet.
OCvertDe
"assumed" most likely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.