Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taboo Gold
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
OCvertDe
I ordered a bottle two weeks ago today. I got the pre-release release newsletter that morning and immediately placed an order. No sign of it yet, and it's only coming from Canada.

I placed an order with LdF the day before, that shipment had to cross several countries and an ocean and still showed up last Friday.

I haven't heard a peep about the Gold here at FV, so I'm wondering if nobody has theirs yet, or if I should be concerned?
Nephrite
I placed my order 11 days ago.
EdouardPerneau
not recived yet me too
Shabba53
I placed my order within minutes of receiving the email. Still haven't received anything. But I got a response to my inquiry.

The answer I received was that, based on the overwhelming response to the emails, they were bogged down and had to space out the shipments. I was told I'd have mine by later this week or early next week.
OCvertDe
Cool, I didn't want to bother them with it just in case that was what was going on…
Rimbaud
I'm expecting it this week. Supposedly, all orders were to ship last Friday, the 22nd.
Marc
Hope it's way better than the regular version.
OCvertDe
Said Oxy-Maister:

"You have my personal guarantee that this is a truly outstanding absinthe."

Good enough for me to bank on.
Marc
Just seen the newsletter, sounds promising.
Although some may detect a family resemblance to the regular Taboo, this is a completely different product, with a different production protocol, and a different herb bill. The wormwood used is specially sourced, and is not the same as the wormwood used in the regular Taboo.
Steyr850
They're on the way. Out of Canada yesterday.
Rimbaud
5 days late!

Damn Canuckyfuckers!
Oxygenee
Staggering the shipments wasn't done to make our life easy, it was to avoid raising any red flags in a highly restrictive environment like Canada. Add to this the difficult-to-explain but unfortunately true fact that ALL shipping in Canada, whether by courier or postal service is 30% slower than it is in the US (or UK for that matter), and you have the explanation for the longer than expected delays. But even the latest dispatches have now been in transit for several days, and should start to arrive from today onwards.

The entire initial production of this absinthe is sold out.
Rimbaud
Just bustin' balls, Oxy. wink.gif
Provenance
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Aug 28 2008, 12:31 PM) *
Add to this the difficult-to-explain but unfortunately true fact that ALL speech in Canada is 30% slower than it is in the US (or UK for that matter),

Patlow
What was that?
Absomphe
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Aug 28 2008, 12:31 PM) *
Add to this the difficult-to-explain but unfortunately true fact that ALL people in Canada are 30% slower than they are in the US (or UK for that matter),
Doctor Love

This thread is making more and more sense as it goes on.

Tibro
Unfortunately, you never make more sense.

Please stop publishing the stupid things you say. It makes me embarrassed for you.
Doctor Love

Have a corn dog, you'll feel better cdog-plain.gif

Tibro
Why do you feel compelled to say stupid things?
Doctor Love
What about my post do you find so stupid or out of sorts given the nature of the thread?
Shabba53
Hmmm, actually a good point.
Tibro
Allow me use terms that both of you should understand:

cdog-plain.gif
Nephrite
And Now For Something Completely Different
Shabba53
QUOTE(Tibro @ Aug 30 2008, 03:57 AM) *

Allow me use terms that both of you should understand:

I don't understand.
Absomphe
Hey, don't pick on Tibro just because English isn't his primary tongue.

He speaks it a helluva lot better than I speak his planet's language.
Meatwaggon
Tibro needs to drinke some absinthe and get laide.

I ordered Taboo Gold along with some Jules Pernod two and a half weeks ago. Where be my booze Oxy? I need to trippe some ballze pretty soon…..
Oxygenee
All in transit…
G&C
So's my check to the gas company.
Kirk
Someone has to finance the operation, might as well make it the little people.
Misty
Anyone receive there's YET?
Rimbaud
Nope. Canuckyfuckers probably stole it.
Shabba53
Apparently, someone in MN got theirs today. Still waiting on mine though.
OCvertDe
Waiting…
Rimbaud
Damn Canuckyfuckymonkeys!
LeRoy
Yep, I got mine today. Hopefully, others will start to get theirs.
I like this a lot more than the original. The base flavor is the same with a nice wormwood. A lot lighter on the star anise. In fact, it has a light louche.
Of course, I just opened the bottle and it may change after breathing, but I like it.
Nephrite
Mine arrived too. Looking forward to it after work.
Rimbaud
QUOTE(LeRoy @ Sep 2 2008, 07:14 PM) *

…A lot lighter on the star anise…

stanise.gif???

WTF?!?!

OCvertDe
WTF indeed. I placed my order within minutes of the email. Damn!
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Rimbaud @ Sep 3 2008, 03:12 AM) *

QUOTE(LeRoy @ Sep 2 2008, 07:14 PM) *

…A lot lighter on the star anise…

stanise.gif???

WTF?!?!

Taboo GOLD has zero star anise. The recipe isn't a variation of the regular version, it's unrelated and entirely different. The wormwood used is also from an entirely different source.

Most initial orders have been already delivered, those that haven't have been in transit for approaching ten days now, so should arrive tomorrow or latest Thursday.
Rimbaud
Whew!
Oxygenee
Talking of star anise though, the more I study early recipes, the more I'm struck by how a-historical our modern condemnation of star anise is. Most eighteenth century absinthe "precursor" recipes have star anise (often instead of, not just as well as, green anise). So do most pre-Duplais absinthe recipes from the first half of the nineteenth century. In other words, it's a traditional and time honoured ingredient, and can be an entirely legitimate component of historically informed absinthe.

In the late 19th century, some manufacturers - Absinthe Bourgeois among them - actively denigrated star anise, but not on grounds of taste - rather because it was believed, on account of its woody character, to result in possible methanol contamination of the distillation, and so be undesirable on health grounds. There's no actual evidence that this is (or was) true, and it's just as likely to be simply a marketing gimmick that with time has become enshrined as fact.
Doctor Love
Maybe it was the Czechs
Rimbaud
No reviews?!?!

C'mon folks, it may be next week before mine arrives…
Steyr850
Just in, Stomp Brockmore over at WS said:

"Well, I'm terribly ill-equipped to describe it in any great detail right now, but I love it. Sipping on my first glass, 3:1. It's got a very creamy, smooth mouth feel. Clean. The wormwood is delicious. I don't have any frame of reference to compare it with the regular Taboo, but this seems like fine stuff to me."

Steyr850 says to self:

Click to view attachment

Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Sep 2 2008, 11:58 PM) *

Talking of star anise though, the more I study early recipes, the more I'm struck by how a-historical our modern condemnation of star anise is. Most eighteenth century absinthe "precursor" recipes have star anise (often instead of, not just as well as, green anise). So do most pre-Duplais absinthe recipes from the first half of the nineteenth century. In other words, it's a traditional and time honoured ingredient, and can be an entirely legitimate component of historically informed absinthe.

In the late 19th century, some manufacturers - Absinthe Bourgeois among them - actively denigrated star anise, but not on grounds of taste - rather because it was believed, on account of its woody character, to result in possible methanol contamination of the distillation, and so be undesirable on health grounds. There's no actual evidence that this is (or was) true, and it's just as likely to be simply a marketing gimmick that with time has become enshrined as fact.

Damn you and your evidence. So St. George is a traditional absinthe after all.

No matter, I think absinthes which use only star anise taste bad. A little bit is fine, in fact beneficial if it's a blanche, but used in large quantities it becomes a flavor steamroller, crushing most other nuances in its path.
Provenance
QUOTE(Steyr850 @ Sep 3 2008, 11:27 AM) *
frame of reference

OCvertDe
Finally! Well packed too: it's 85 degrees here and it probably sat outside in the sun for four hours today. When I got home and brought it in, and finally got the bare glass unwrapped in my hands, it was actually cool. Anyway… it's quite good. No Doubs Mystique mind you, but good. For the money I wouldn't buy it again, but I'm glad I got the opportunity to experience it and don't regret my purchase.
Rimbaud
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Sep 3 2008, 04:21 PM) *

For the money I wouldn't buy it again

Not a good sign.
Rimbaud
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Sep 3 2008, 04:06 PM) *

Damn you and your evidence. So St. George is a traditional absinthe after all.

Doesn't it have basil & tarragon in it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.