Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greetings from a Massachusetts drinkah
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
scuto
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for a while before registering, and felt it time to say hello. I've found both this website and WS immensely helpful in my still-new explorations of absinthe.

I first had absinthe on a road trip in 2001, where a family friend served us an Absenta in the proper way. He can't recall exactly, but it may have been Deva. I enjoyed the sugar, louche, aroma, and was happily surprised that though I didn't like licorice, I found absinthe's flavor compelling. (I've since enjoyed the Panda brand licorice candies, though would choose absinthe over them any day.) I forgot about absinthe until seeing a "How to drink absinthe" link on my Google homepage early this year. This brought me to research the drink, and fortunately I only went a day or two thinking that t-jone had any real importance to the "quality" or "effect" of an absinthe. Whoever is the Wikipedia page-watcher should be given a medal and cases of free booze!

I've since had Lucid and Kubler, and am excited to try the more traditional absinthes popping up here in the US. Once I find a way to turn the shit of basement spiders into $$$, I'll be able to make an LdF order.

I've only just cracked the archives, and am awed at the (sometimes painful) trial and error that has gone into sorting out the bullshit from the truth with this drink. Cheers for doing the legwork so folks like me can enjoy the spoils.

Other junk: I work retail (local bookstore) and massage therapy (not enough clients. Yet.); I make and listen to music (glad to see other Cocteau Twins fans here); I do use "wicked" like a West-coaster says "hella" like a New Yorker says "fuckin'"; the ocean, though I may not always see it, will always beckon; I was fortunate enough to see many Edward Gorey plays when he was alive and did community theater here; I use sugar more often than not, though when I want to get hardcore about detecting "notes" I go without; I easily forget other things I was planning on writing.

And now, back to digesting old threads!
OCvertDe
Welcome! Good to see some people still no how to introduce themselves. Enjoy!
Absomphe
Nice to see you over here, Scuto! abs-cheers.gif
scuto
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Aug 29 2008, 06:50 AM) *

Welcome! Good to see some people still no how to introduce themselves. Enjoy!

Must. Resist. Resurrecting. Sixela's. Ghost.

Thanks! Yeah, some folks seem to have little sense of propriety.

Absomphe, likewise. Looking forward to reading more of your fine prose.
OCvertDe
We've just had a real run of aggressively willful ignorance lately.
scuto
Yeah, I saw some of that. One hopes it's not indicative of the larger state of things. Then again, that means more opportunities to turn into my alter-ego, the Absinthe-Burner Bandit! I may need a name change, because my job is to light on fire those who dare to light their absinthe on fire. Not entirely clear to the general populace with my current moniker. Kind of like Punisher, except more nerdy and a pyro.
Tibro
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Aug 29 2008, 08:23 PM) *

I'm just a badun real aggressively willful ignoramance lately.

Just ignore the jerk. Most of us are intelligent.
Doctor Love

Hi scuto, welcome to the fray.
bob_chong
QUOTE(scuto @ Aug 29 2008, 01:01 PM) *

Absomphe

Ass Zombie?
Nephrite
Welcome and check out the newsletter
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Tibro @ Aug 29 2008, 09:39 PM) *

Case in point.
Absomphe
QUOTE(bob_chong @ Aug 29 2008, 08:31 PM) *

QUOTE(scuto @ Aug 29 2008, 01:01 PM) *

Absomphe

Ass Zombie?

You're still seein' that every time my name comes up?

Jebus, you must be even more perpetually stoned than your brother Tommy. chickawow.gif
scuto
QUOTE(Nephrite @ Aug 30 2008, 01:18 AM) *

Welcome and check out the newsletter

Oh, yes. Oxy's newsletters are full of things I crave. The solution? Living at the homestead in perpetuity.

There will be no Ass Zombies on my thread. I'm looking at you, OCD & Tibro.

QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Aug 30 2008, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Tibro @ Aug 29 2008, 09:39 PM) *

Case in point.
Remind me again why I signed up? Oh, that's right; Y'all are wicked smaht at absinthe. And are hilarious ass zombies. Zombie3.gif call me.gif

(Where's the emoticon with the zombie sticking its head up its own ass?)

Crap! bob_chong's nefarious plan worked!
grey boy
Yo.

You work at a good bookstore? I have a xitload to trade in for credit and my local moved, Bastards!
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(scuto @ Aug 29 2008, 12:29 AM) *

I was fortunate enough to see many Edward Gorey plays when he was alive and did community theater here;

I assume you've been to his house on the cape? I got a picture of that fat-ass cat they have there somewhere…
scuto
Nice! I don't think many folks have pics of his cats. I know that they were given to his friends and the local actors he used regularly in his plays.

(Half bragging, half in-awe) I got to see the inside of his house soon after he passed, because my dad was one of the local actors Edward liked to use. His director was staying in the house temporarily to keep an eye on things. The book "Elephant House" does justice to the wonderful "junk" that was so carefully arranged among the stacks of books, while leaving out the disgusting cat-piss stench that permeated the place.

QUOTE(grey boy @ Sep 4 2008, 09:25 PM) *

Yo. You work at a good bookstore? I have a xitload to trade in for credit and my local moved, Bastards!

I do. They recently started taking used books, though no text books and dated materials (like travel guides from the 1990s). Good condition and up. Is Falmouth far from you?

Edit:: Better that they moved than closed down. Our town has been a strong supporter of indie bookstores, at least so far. Cursed interweb-tubes!
Tibro
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Sep 5 2008, 06:25 PM) *

that fat-ass cat

Are you talking about Pynchon? Biggest cat I ever saw. Last where-abouts I know of was at the Gotham Book Mart. The Gotham's owner was Gorey's literary executor. Pynchon mighta been Gorey's, I don't know, although I thought I heard a different story.
Nymphadora
Fat-ass cat, eh?

You ever get a peek at Oscar & Hissy's 'Christmas Ham'? I'm surprised Richard Simmons hasn't made a house call.
Wild Bill Turkey
He went by. Couldn't fit in the room with the cat.
Tibro
Pussy.
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(scuto @ Sep 5 2008, 09:54 AM) *

Our town has been a strong supporter of indie bookstores, at least so far. Cursed interweb-tubes!

After looking for one single book for more than 12 years, I finally found it, for $25, at a little used bookstore in Falmouth, on Main St., near that little 50's diner (Betsy's?).

What's more, when I went in the store just to browse, the proprietor asked me if there was anything special I was looking for. When I said "yeah, I've been looking for this book 'Creative Illustration'…"
the guy stopped me and said
"Oh, the Andrew Loomis book? Yes, a masterpiece! We have it back here…" and lead me directly to it without fumbling through the stacks. It was one of the best moments in my long career as a collector of odd things.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Tibro @ Sep 5 2008, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Sep 5 2008, 06:25 PM) *

that fat-ass cat

Are you talking about Pynchon? Biggest cat I ever saw.

I don't think so, it's this one. Supposedly this was the last cat he got before he died, and the people who took over the house kept him. I saw him try to scratch his ear with his hind leg and he couldn't reach it.Click to view attachment

grey boy
QUOTE(scuto @ Sep 5 2008, 11:54 AM) *

I do. They recently started taking used books, though no text books and dated materials (like travel guides from the 1990s). Good condition and up. Is Falmouth far from you?

Edit:: Better that they moved than closed down. Our town has been a strong supporter of indie bookstores, at least so far. Cursed interweb-tubes!

Eh, it's a good drive from Somerville, fortunately the store moved from Somerville to Cambridge,
so instead of walking there I'll have to take the train.
Tibro
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Sep 5 2008, 11:17 PM) *

the last cat

Nope definitely a different cat. Pynchon was orange. And not really fat, just a fucking huge cat.
scuto
QUOTE(grey boy @ Sep 5 2008, 05:19 PM) *

Eh, it's a good drive from Somerville, fortunately the store moved from Somerville to Cambridge,
so instead of walking there I'll have to take the train.

That walk's not too bad--better than the walk to Falmouth! I know of a Booksmith or two, but they're south of the Charles. Indies are still around! Ain't no picnic lugging books on the T, for sure.

QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Sep 5 2008, 03:02 PM) *

After looking for one single book for more than 12 years, I finally found it, for $25, at a little used bookstore in Falmouth, on Main St., near that little 50's diner (Betsy's?).

What's more, when I went in the store just to browse, the proprietor asked me if there was anything special I was looking for. When I said "yeah, I've been looking for this book 'Creative Illustration'…"
"Oh, the Andrew Loomis book? Yes, a masterpiece! We have it back here…" and lead me directly to it without fumbling through the stacks. It was one of the best moments in my long career as a collector of odd things.

Yup, the diner is called Betsy's!

From what I got out of my 'rents the guy who owned the used bookstore knows his xit and is good at it, as you illustrated (creatively!). Randy had to close the store cos it wasn't doing well as a storefront, though it did well internet-wise and he continues his book dealings online. My parents disagreed on whether he owned/owns the building the store was in. Your story does soften my attitude towards this town, I must admit. Eh, just grumpy at the moment. I need a big kitteh like the others have posted!
G&C
He'll just eat your pot pie.
scuto
Wasn't that what Ren does when suffering from space madness??!
Gertz
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Sep 5 2008, 09:02 PM) *

A reprint was supposed to be released this september, but it seems to be delayed. I hope it isn't cancelled.
rjordan
Well, I met up with the scut-man yesterday. We met at a little French bistro type restaurant on Cape Cod called Bleu. They had a fountain and some Lucid spoons and a bottle of Lucid. I asked the bartendar if they were going to get any Kubler in anytime soon and she said, "um no, we're a French restaurant." (and she had that look like a little bratty popular school girl that was just asked to the prom by the biggest geek in the the whole school) She served the drinks in a brandy snifter at about a 1:1 ratio with a steady stream of ice water out of the fountain (not a slow drip). We specifically asked her not to set the sugar cube on fire and she looked at us like we had three heads each. Anyway, we didn't go there for the absinthe. It was just a convenient place to meet and was relevant. Otherwise, the food was delicious with a seafood chowder soup and pommes frites with red onion and parmesan for apps, a turkey sandwich and vegetable quiche for entree, and a raspberry creme brulee for desert (no I don't know how to put the little thingys on the letters here so use your imagination Six). The scut-ster is a great guy. We had some good conversation and an overall nice time for lunch. We'll have to do it again soon.

gun thug.gif
scuto
Likewise, rjordan is an upstanding fellow. Indeed there shall be another meet-n-drink! 'Twas good to meet you, rj. I can confirm his comments about the restaurant, cos I was there, man.

A moment worth sharing was when we were served our creme brulee and rj pointed to it and said, "now *this* is the sugar you light on fire!" If only the bartender had stuck around to hear it.
rjordan
Ha!

gun thug.gif
grey boy
QUOTE(scuto @ Sep 17 2008, 09:20 PM) *

, rjordan is an upstanding fellow

You've been fooled!
grey boy
Butt seriously,

get yer asses up to the (wishes it was) Big City, and we'll do some drinkin'.
scuto
Crapola, I didn't see this. I scared away my email notification!

I'll have to keep this in the front of mah brayn, GB, cos it should be a grand ol' thyme.
rjordan
QUOTE(grey boy @ Sep 18 2008, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(scuto @ Sep 17 2008, 09:20 PM) *

, rjordan is an upstanding fellow

You've been fooled!

yes.gif

gun thug.gif

QUOTE(grey boy @ Sep 18 2008, 08:05 PM) *

Butt seriously,

get yer asses up to the (wishes it was) Big City, and we'll do some drinkin'.

Even me?

gun thug.gif
scuto
QUOTE(rjordan @ Sep 23 2008, 05:35 PM) *

QUOTE(grey boy @ Sep 18 2008, 08:03 PM) *

You've been fooled!

yes.gif

Bastard. You and your trickery; You're uninvited.
rjordan
Oh, I am an evil one. Well, let's just say that I have evil tendencies sometimes.

Muwahhhaaahahahahahahaha!

gun thug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.