Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thujone level by Benot Nol
The Fe Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Dr Magnan's Lab
EdouardPerneau
thuyone by Benot nol in french

I've seen this on heureverte.com and I was thinking that you should know : for summary , BN stated lot of distillers were making in 1912-1915 an absinthe without wormwood to give a similar taste they replace it by genepi, clary sage, tansy, mugwort ,etc so Vichet had take this turn along with other producer
absinthist
Now find Vichet, pass it thru GC/MS for parthenolide and we are home evill.gif

Same thing I hearsay about Cusenier Oxygenee-who would think that vdt numero uno was not 2005 but could be 1900 already harhar.gif
hartsmar
Wow, two hardly comprehensible posts right after each other... Shit!

But... I believe Mr Oxy hold most of what there is to know about Vichet and just might be able to find more about this, if there's even anything to be found.
EdouardPerneau
All benot nol stuff are hard to translate for me

Maybe Mthuilli could give a better translation

In fact Benoit Nol stated that some producer feeling the presure from the Anti-alcoholic league where experimenting with other bitter herbs to replace wormwood in absinthe they try ( genepi, clary sage, tansy, mugwort ,etc)and essential oil

Zenzero
Did it also tell more about the use of A.a. e.g. different quantities
in stages of the process?
Shabba53
Google translator worked pretty well on the site.
absinthist
A friend of mine asked me for that translation as well so I have made a small summary:

(if something is missing our French friends should react)

The conspiracy of winemakers invented the fictitious theory of the toxicity of certain vegetable components. It was due to the phylloxera when consumers moved on to drinking strong alcohols (read: absinthe), thus leaving wine alone. It was simply a revenge that helped to cause the prohibition.

Since 1907, some (a number of so-to-say) distillers tired of the attacks out of regulations against absinthe, replaced Artemisia absinthium by a vegetable land-mark (mugwort, clary sage, centaury, rosemary, mint, chamomile, tansy, and genepi), preceding in that, the law which would force them to do it in 1912.

In 1912, tujon was prohibited, hence in the years 1912-1915 more of the distillers had to choose that way, even removing the name "absinthe" from the label, since there was no wormwood in the extrait, but the already mentioned vegetable land-marks.

It is now up to find out, which distillers went that way and if it is possible to analyze their extraits (once these are found, if at all) for specific marker substances, because GC/MS analysis for tujon gives us no clue since all these fucks contain it (though some only isomer betha). That would mean GC/MS analysis for the presence of pinene, cineol or linalol for clary sage, parthenolide and camphor for tansy, erythro-centaurin for centaury, etc.

However, we should also know which of these herbs were common in the heyday. From what I know, clary sage was growing in southern France and Switzerland and as such was employed in the making of vermouths, tansy was growing everywhere-though the chemotype in France is believed to contain more camphor. And personally, I would vote for these two and mugwort as well as genepi, the rest would not replace wormwood as much so as to be deceived by similar taste.
hartsmar
QUOTE(Zenzero @ Sep 15 2008, 01:00 PM) *

Did it also tell more about the use of A.a. e.g. different quantities
in stages of the process?

It stated 0 in the coloring step.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.