Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greetings from Denmark
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
Communikaze
Hello there!

I started out as curious. My first three absinths were Neto Costa, Hapsburg and Versinthe verthe. NOT the best start to say the least, to say the very least. In another occasion I wen´t to a trip to Hamburg in Germany and bumped into Jan and Yvonnes Absinthe Bar @ Shanzenstrasse. Here I was able to taste 4 different absinthes (Doubs M., Mansinthe, Clandestine, Neuzeller Neue Liebe as the oddity) and suddenly a new interest was awoken. With shame I must admit that have tried the flame ritual, please forgive me. I really didn´t know anything and hey, it was Neto Costa and Hapsburg that I burned of then - who knows - burning sugar might have prevented me from futher experiences…

I now have an unquenchable thirst for quality absinthe and posess apprx. 35 different kinds of absinthe, mostly french and swiss high rated stuff along wiith a couple of gadgets. l tend to drink most of them without sugar. Still, some bottles are harder to finish despite of their quality. It seems like standards have been raised considerably. I reeeeally appreciate a good classic verte or blanche, but I am also open to alternatives and I believe we will see more variations in the forthcoming years. L´Itallienne, la Coquette, Neuzeller absinthes already seems like good examples of variations - keep´em coming… I have introduced quite a lot of my friends and colleaques to the drink, and when they order, they do it through me… So lets forget about my crimes in the past. By now I am saved and a purist by heart. no-czechs3.gif

When it comes to vintage absinthe, I have already been baptized by Gertz who brought som pre-ban Pernod Fils from 1914. We had a local tasting at my place with Gertz, Kristian (not on this forum). It turns our that all of us likes to write, have an interest in art and of course a neverending thirst for absinthe. Coincidence?

Off course we had to enjoy it from and "old glass" i found…. I found out was an antique "Verlaine-glass" exactly like this one:
absintheglass-glow2.gif
Coincidence?

Recently my girlfriend has become the proud owner of a male kitten. He was found drifting round, starved and confused, left by his mom. He was only apprx. 6 weeks old (600 grams) when we found him - now he is twelve weeks and growing (and eating) fast - that´s why we called him "Panzon". The funny thing is… he is "polydactyl" that means he has an ekstra toe (thumb) en every paw which is quite uncommon. We tried to look it up on the web and found out that the famous author, Ernest Hemingway, apperantly had quite a lot of polydactyl cats and - as most of you probably know - a great passion for absinthe. Again: coincidence?

So, in a way I am pretty sure that a lot more experiences await when it comes to this wonderful drink. The next one will be at the Absinthiades 4-5th of october in Pontarlier, France. here I will hopefully be able to meet a couple of you chaps and ladyships. Perhaps I will be able to visit distillery or two. Open a bar. make the first distilled danish absinthe. Who knows what next….? Well, another step into the garden with the white, blue and green fairies is my membership of this exclusive club….

See you

Thomas Boston, Denmark
Marc
Welcome Thomas!
See you soon in Pontarlier.
Steve
QUOTE(Thomas Boston @ Sep 19 2008, 07:41 AM) *
Hello there!
We tried to look it up on the web and found out that the famous author, Ernest Hemingway, apperantly had quite a lot of polydactyl cats

Yes, and it's funny because if you walk around today in Key West where Hemingway lived, you will still see a lot of cats with extra toes.

Welcome, Thomas!
Bruno Rygseck
Welcome, Thomas! Great introduction.
hartsmar
Welcome Thomas!
See you in Pontarlier!
OCvertDe
Welcome!

Cats with extra toes are much cooler than normal cats. We have two with double paws.
Anyhow… cheers!
abs-cheers.gif
Absomphe

l tend to drink most of them without sugar.

Excellent choice.

Welcome, Thomas! abs-cheers.gif
Nephrite
35 different kinds of absinthe? Impressive… and welcome! IPB Image
Gertz
Glad you found your way in here.

Now, before things get too artsy, prepare for a round of tequila slammers in the Blue Oyster Bar.
dakini_painter
Hi! Good to meet you.

EdouardPerneau
Welcome Thomas!
See you soon at the absinthiades !
Communikaze
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I forgot to thank most of you in advance. As I said my first experiences with absinth was more or less horrible. However, by studing your reviews at the Buyers Guide and Markus Hartmars guides/reviews on absinthe.se I confidently ordered absinthe of a far better quality. I will try to make a minor absinthe loving chain reaction here in Denmark - I know how to sell and promote good stuff - by now 7 of my colleaques are in possession of Duplais and Mansinthe - that´s ½ of the team i manage, but hey, who dares to quarrel with the boss on what´s good taste? .-)

Well, I have made my first comments in this forum (on flower absinthe), and perhaps I should make my first review too.

At the moment me and Gertz tries to find a way to get to Pontarlier. It is a long way and an expensive trip for a one day event, so we would like to spend a couple more days - most likely in Paris. I like the name of the event - is somebody somewhere running towards Pontarlier with a huge burning lump of sugar?

Looking forward to meet you!

PS. Nice avatars, I wonder how you look like in real life wink.gif
OCvertDe
Having seen many photos taken at private louchefests, Absomphe's avatar is fairly close to how he looks in real life. Yes, even the tongue. Perhaps especially the tongue. He really is the darkly mysterious, handsome devil that he portrays here.
absinthist
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Sep 19 2008, 02:00 PM) *

l tend to drink most of them without sugar.

Excellent choice.

The only and traditional one.

Welcome to the forum! Informative and au courant introduction we rarely see in the recent days.
Absomphe
OCD, pick either crack, or absinthe, as your poison of choice, but it's obvious that you can't handle them both, simultaneously.

I mean, thanks, but you're still not getting my Bud Lite Dissident. harhar.gif
Donnie Darko
Welcome Thomas. I love how international this forum is.
Kirk
hello there.
Gertz
QUOTE(Thomas Boston @ Sep 23 2008, 12:31 PM) *

I like the name of the event - is somebody somewhere running towards Pontarlier with a huge burning lump of sugar?

Not this year - they are apparently planning something different.
OCvertDe
Now look Stompy, you've made me spill my absinthe all over my pretty white lines…
Absomphe
Oughtta help the louche, so quit yer bitchin'.
Marc
QUOTE(absinthist @ Sep 23 2008, 12:53 PM) *

The only and traditional one.

Traditional? blink.gif

Oh right, got it, traditional way from Czechia (i.e. sans eau sans sucre sans goût)
absinthist
Without sugar and with water, I know something too complicated for your French pussy palate harhar.gif
dom_lochet
The absinthe spoon being used to scratch your back.
dom_lochet
Oh, and welcome to Thomas! See you in Pontarlier!
OCvertDe
QUOTE(dom_lochet @ Sep 24 2008, 07:11 AM) *

The absinthe spoon being used to scratch your back.

I use it to pour doses from new bottles without making a mess.
Never thought to scratch my back with it, not a bad idea…
Communikaze
Too keep this thread on subject I guess I have to comment most aspects and run the "opinion-gauntlet". After Pontarlier I might even become member of a feeverte-group. Who knows?

Well here goes my opinion september 2008 (it might change)

Sugar.gif
In case you want a truly authentic experience, you should enjoy your pre-ban absinthe with 2 or 3 lumps of sugar. According some of the footage i found on oxygeness website that´s how they did it then.

But i would not do that of course, still I won´t rule out that it might enhance the taste. For tasting an absinth first/last time i normally don´t use sugar. In case the taste is flat, too edgy or whatever I will try to use a single lump. Certain kinds of absinthe are plain dull without sugar but blossom with the addition of a cube. Even some of the la Bleues (!). I always go for the best tasting experience.

no-czechs3.gif
Caramelized sugar - well, I guess might even enhance czech absinthes. I guess every kind of (mis)treatment will do the trick to make the poison "less worse".

Legler-Pernod-mini.gif
Sugar is a matter of taste more often discussed than the addition of water, which I find much more important. I have visited specialized places where the despite of their knowledge put icecubes in a glas, pur absinth in an let Niagara Falls into the already ruined combination…. Oh grief, oh sorrow…

I´m not in posession of a fountain (a drippydripdrip), I drink absinth quite often but not in these amounts - yet. I am however in posession of both a brouille and a brouilleur (seesaw). I clearly prefer the seesaw, I belive the splashing ads some O2to the mix that enhances the flavour… It might be subject for a scientifically conducted blind test some day….

My 2 EUR
Conte d'Ugenta
Welcome Thomas, and see you in Pontarlier!
Zenzero
Velkommen Thomas. Glem ikke at medbringe dit fransk ordbog, når man besøger de absinthiades.

Z.
G&C
In case you want a truly authentic experience, you should enjoy your pre-ban absinthe with 2 or 3 lumps of sugar. According some of the footage i found on oxygeness website that´s how they did it then.

I would never ruin a glass of absinthe by doing that!

One might as well louche it with a Coke™.
That'll cure your sweet tooth.
Absomphe
What he said.

I don't give a rat's arse about an authentic absinthe experience, if the stuff ends up tasting like candy dots.
Marc
We've been through this discussion too many times already.
I give up, to each his own.
absinthist
What my friends said. Sans sucre!-our warcry!
Communikaze
Absomphe. G&C and Absinthist
Sorry if I made myself misunderstood. "Authentic" is not the same as "optimal tasting experience". I am fully aware of the do´s and dont´s when it comes to absinthe and of course I would never drink a vintage absinthe with sugar. When it comes to more commonly available absinthes some of them might benefit from sugar - depending on ones individual taste. As mthuilli says " to each his own" and the discussion is boring. Let´s keep this thread for what it is and move on.

Zenzero: Another dane!?! Any more on this forum? I don´t speak a word french so I´ll probably have to stick to some of you guys. When it comes to the drinking, however, language is unimportant.

KR

Thomas

Marc
QUOTE(Thomas Boston @ Sep 25 2008, 10:50 PM) *

of course I would never drink a vintage absinthe with sugar

I would. When I have enough for several glasses, I do with and without.

Ok, let's move on now.
Gertz
Aw, c'mon. Nothing like a good ol' sugar vs. non-sugar horsebeatin'.
absinthist
QUOTE(Thomas Boston @ Sep 25 2008, 01:50 PM) *

of course I would never drink a vintage absinthe with sugar.

Absolutely correct. End of story™.
I have enough for several glasses

You lucky bastich, you!
Absomphe
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Sep 25 2008, 10:53 PM) *

Ok, let's move on now.

As long as we're done celebrating Dr O's birthday, that seems sensible.
Rimbaud
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Sep 26 2008, 01:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Thomas Boston @ Sep 25 2008, 10:50 PM) *

of course I would never drink a vintage absinthe with sugar

I would. When I have enough for several glasses, I do with and without.

Ok, let's move on now.

Same here.
Communikaze
Prepare to welcome another dane to the community. Kristian. Furthermore he will join us in Pontarlier. 3 (only?) absinthe nerds/extremists/fanatics in Denmark @ the absinthiades - that gotta be some sort of record! At present a lot of my friends and colleaques have bought their first bottles of quality absinthe and enjoy it. Hope we can make things change at the bars and liqeur stores ind Denmark, in case not, we´ll have to make our own place. Furthermore we order together and share samples. We have definetely found out that we are able to "sell" the concept on good and correctly prepared absinth: Basically it´s about creating and sharing passion. And thats exactly what happens in here.

Looking forward to get more tips, inspiration and hopefully meet some of you.

KR

Thomas
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.