Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vieux Carre Absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Steyr850
Anybody got the scoop on this one? Is this the one Imp was eluding to?

Absomphe
Didn't Rimmy just ask that very question, yesterday?

Paging Peter…again…*

*edit…nevermind, wrong Vieux. frusty.gif

thegreenimp
QUOTE(Steyr850 @ Oct 3 2008, 08:27 AM) *

Anybody got the scoop on this one? Is this the one Imp was eluding to?

No, if you are referring to the Herbsaint based absinthe that Sazerac is working on.
Steyr850
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Oct 3 2008, 09:38 AM) *

Didn't Rimmy just ask that very question, yesterday?

Paging Peter…again…
PTFA. That's Vieux Pontarlier you Ole' Goat! harhar.gif

Here's the website

Thanks Impy, I just assumed based on the obvious name relating the N.O
Absomphe
Two many Vieuxz™.
Patlow
This is an Absinthe being produced in Philadelphia. From the makers of Bluecoat Gin.

http://www.philadelphiadistilling.com/brands.html

That's all I know right now.
Donnie Darko
Interesting. Never heard of their gin but the fact that they are doing single-batches with a copper pot-still and seem to care about ingredients means they're on the right track. Looking forward to hearing more.
Provenance
It looks like everyone with a license is starting to make something or another they call absinthe. But, to paraphrase JP, "A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing."
Donnie Darko
And even then, obsession doesn't mean it's going to be good. Lance of St. George is obsessive…
Provenance
Point taken. I would be curious try Crispin's Superieure because he really does know how to distill. Whether he knows how to distill absinthe is another matter.
Wild Bill Turkey
I've read a lot about their gin, which has a fair amount of thinking behind the flavor profile and packaging/marketing. I've dragged my feet buying it to try because it doesn't sound like the flavor is one I'd be wild about, and it's very expensive.

The gin is designed to be very "different", though, an American style dry gin, which I guess they're trying to establish in one go, and so it worries me a little that the same ethic will be applied to their absinthe, resulting in another American distiller striking out to be different without having learned to work within tradition first.
Provenance
I heard someone out in Seattle is trying to make gin but who knows if it's going to be any good?
Shabba53
The Bluecoat is a very interesting gin. It's great on its own, and good in a bunch of cocktails, but I'm not a huge fan of it in G&Ts, nor in a classic martini.

And it's not that expensive. Last time I picked up a bottle it was something like $25.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Provenance @ Oct 3 2008, 03:35 PM) *

I heard someone out in Seattle is trying to make gin but who knows if it's going to be any good?

A few local fans, that's who.

He's already made a bunch, and it tastes wonderful, uncut.

Citrus, cucumber, and orris root notes, along with the obvious juniper.

I'd buy a bottle, or three, and I've never been much of a gin drinker.

On the other hand, after it's cut, it might taste just like bathtub hooch, but somehow, I doubt it.

Zman
I can assure you there is no cucumber in there. It was kinda wierd that a sort of cucumber profile started coming over as tails were collected. We now also have label approval for Voyager. As we speak the label is being worked by printers. Unfortunately, it may not appear in WSLCB stores for a while, unless customers and bars/restaurants special order it.
G&C
Excellent!
Time to start informing the state store managers.
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Oct 3 2008, 03:37 PM) *

And it's not that expensive. Last time I picked up a bottle it was something like $25.

Liquor prices vary from place to place and from time to time more than anything else I'm aware of, save for gasoline. My local Bevmo had the Bluecoat in the $35 range last time I scoped it out, and they don't have it very often. I can find it for great prices online, of course, but the shipping buys it back. I'll keep my eyes open…I'd buy it at $25.
Kirk
product of obsession.

I think the owner of this distillery qualifies as obsessed.
He has called me dozens of times, he is a driven man. Right now his obsession seems to be sourcing the finest herbs that can be had, anywhere, at any price. He has nearly cleaned me out of my own herbs and now has me working on cleaning out my French growers of all their Genepi and Fennel Doux. I haven't tried his absinthe but if his attitude is any sign, it's going to be good. He doesn't seem to like cutting corners.
You don't see absinthe with Genepi in it very often, I'm really looking forward to trying this one.
Donnie Darko
That's an encouraging endorsement.
Provenance
It's definitely a positive sign. The question remains though as to whether he actually knows how to make absinthe.
Kirk
Beats me, but I think he just might.
Provenance
I look forward to trying it.
Wild Bill Turkey
He's also cleaned out all the northern California sources Lance was using for stinging nettle, rosemary and sage.
Donnie Darko
Patlow, have you been able to try it yet?
Patlow
I have a sample at my apt. I have yet to open it (it arrived while I was away on business in beautiful sunny Cleveland, Ohio this week).

The distiller came over to my apartment to drink and talk absinthe a couple of weeks ago. He is really into doing this right. We shall see!
Provenance
Did he remember to use AA in the coloring?
Doctor Love
Or maybe some tansy
Jaded Prole
He has called me dozens of times, he is a driven man. Right now his obsession seems to be sourcing the finest herbs that can be had, anywhere, at any price. He has nearly cleaned me out of my own herbs and now has me working on cleaning out my French growers of all their Genepi and Fennel Doux.

There go all the good herbs . . .
Steve
According to Philly Mag:
Joining a handful of U.S. manufacturers who have jumped into the absinthe game since the federal ban on the so-called "Green Fairy" was lifted about a year ago, Northeast Philly's Philadelphia Distilling, makers of the shockingly good Bluecoat Gin, say they will begin bottling their own version at the end of next week, making this the first time that the heady brew has been manufactured (legally) on the East Coast in nearly 100 years. Expect Vieux Carré Absinthe Superieure ($55) on shelves just before Christmas.

As usual, every absinthe news story attracts the thujone troll commenters.
Provenance
QUOTE(Kirk @ Dec 4 2008, 07:46 AM) *
his obsession seems to be sourcing the finest herbs that can be had, anywhere, at any price.

Expect Vieux Carré Absinthe Superieure ($55)

I don't know how a quality at any cost approach accords with a relatively affordable price, but I'm looking forward to finding out.
Steve
I wondered about that too. Do we know if that is 750 ml?
Provenance
Half-liter bottles are generally not permitted any more for spirits. Thus, I would guess that the price would be for 750ml. 5 CFR § 5.47a "Metric standards of fill" lists the following as being the currently allowed bottle sizes:

1.75 liters
1.00 liter
750 milliliters
375 milliliters
200 milliliters
100 milliliters
50 milliliters
Steve
By the way, DUNY has Bluecoat gin for $27.99.
dakini_painter
On that other forum that you love to hate, someone named "bcdistiller" (Blue Coat Distiller?) said it was for 750 ml.

I wonder if they're going to make it like they make gin?
Donnie Darko
Too bad they don't carry Voyager.

Astorwines has bluecoat also for the same price, which I assume means they will carry the absinthe when it comes out.
Donnie Darko
In any case, what is encouraging is it seems that 100% of US-made absinthes are distilled. Sirene, Leopold, Vieux Carré, Pacifique, Delaware Phoenix (not sure of the name of that absinthe), St. George and Marteau. Are there any others I'm forgetting?

That doesn't mean they're all good, distillation is only one of many factors necessary to produce a good absinthe. I've only had two of those, wasn't crazy about the St. George, liked the Leopold. But it seems to be an encouraging precedent that everyone is starting with distilling. I was terrified we'd see a plethora of Seagram's funded sugary Hill's impersonations.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Patlow @ Dec 4 2008, 12:12 PM) *

beautiful sunny Cleveland, Ohio

Ha!
dakini_painter
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 5 2008, 05:48 PM) *

Delaware Phoenix (not sure of the name of that absinthe)

Yup, that's the brand name. But I'll make only absinthe, so I have to come up with what the TTB calls "fancy names" for each one. But they won't be very fancy names. We'll see.
Patlow
I was very generously donated a bottle of Blue Coat by distiller. I am not a huge gin guy, but it is very good. Easy drinking…
Provenance
It looks like the news blurb wasn't kidding about the price. The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board is listing it as being on sale for $50.

Code: 005899
Description: VIEUX CARRE ABSINTHE 120 PROOF
Size: 750ML
Price: $49.99 (Sale price)
Grim
He has nearly cleaned me out of my own herbs and now has me working on cleaning out my French growers of all their Genepi and Fennel Doux.

Must be nice. How'd you find out about that French source anyway?
Kirk
I sent 3 spies over to France to look into the herb processing room of an iconic distiller of absinthe, why do you ask?
Most of their stuff is crap anyway, sawdust. I'm pretty sure that's how I describe it in my advertising.
The only thing good is the Fennel Doux and the Chamomile extra flor, those are both spectacular. I carry a couple of their other herbs, like the Genepi des Alpes and Speedwell just because it's hard to find, and I want people to be able to get it.
They (genepi, speedwell, lemon balm) are in the best condition of any commercially grown herbs, saw dust yes, but the best saw dust you can source.
My own herbs make the imported stuff look like fodder.
Jaded Prole
Speedwell you say?
Kirk
While we are on the subject, I need to vent.
The Government talks about small business this, small business that, how to help small businesses.
I'm a very small business and they are crushing me.
I've imported large loads of fennel before, then, right out of the blue.
Since when is fennel a damn controlled substance? The God Damn customs department is taking days to decide whether to let me have it and how much tariff they should charge me. I had to contract with a middleman to deal with my customs berger (don't even ask) It literally seems like they are waiting for a bribe, but I don't know who to give it to. My perishable shipment sits on the tarmac while dusty fucking bureaucrats play grab ass in the break room. Thousands and thousands of dollars, frozen, maybe lost, the stress is killing me and my meager profits have flown out the bloody door now.
I drove 2 hours to meet the plane, spent all day dicking around, drove home (rented truck) empty handed.
Give me a break already, my customer is beside himself. I need a lawyer, do I have a right to have one appointed?
Shabba53
That's really messed up. I wish you the best in getting it resolved and I hope the shipment isn't a total loss.
Kirk
It's the capriciousness of it that kills me. They literally said it's being held because they don't know if they should give it to me or not, they are unclear about (or if) there is any regulation on it or what (if any) tariffs need to be charged. I had to tell them every secret too, who gets it, where I got it, why they want it. Now this pimply faced berger knows my whole deal, how do I know he's not in touch with the competition, if there were some?
This is total bullxit.
Aren't they required to know what the hell they are doing?
Jaded Prole
You shouldn't have told the creeps what it would be used for. That opens a can of misinformed paranoid worms in their otherwise empty heads. You should have said it was for culinary use.
Provenance
QUOTE(Kirk @ Dec 17 2008, 07:15 AM) *
Aren't they required to know what the hell they are doing?

Unfortunately, no.
This is total bullxit.
Unfortunately, yes.

What a fucking waste.
Kirk
Prol, I had to tell them every detail, including where it was going to end up. Since the final destination is a licensed commercial distiller, I had to keep things symmetrical. My response was that these are common, garden variety herbs with no controls or restrictions, but they wanted every detail. The FDA is holding them now, even though they (fda) issued or directly approved of the issuing of the phytosanitary certificates while the load was still in France.
Kirk
I hope it's not the old Japanese way of lettuce pest control; keep it till it's dead and rotten, then let it through.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.